Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 818 Hard Top Tease

Post Thanks / Like

818 Hard Top Tease

Factory Five keeps teasing us this pictures like this! To see more pics of Factory Five post of A Day in the Life at Factory Five see link

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-factory-five/

818 Hard Top Tease.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Hmmm, following the shape of the humps but at a steeper angle. Still no way to tell if it's one piece or two. Still hoping for a new engine cover with a targa top.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynntuna; 10-02-2014 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just glad this has gone from talk, to evidence of it being actually worked on.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I get the feeling they always wanted a hard top but needed to focus on other things as they rolled it out. Also, I can't get over how the hard top makes the car heavier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    I get the feeling they always wanted a hard top but needed to focus on other things as they rolled it out. Also, I can't get over how the hard top makes the car heavier.
    What have you heard about the weight of the car with the hard top?
    From what I see in that picture, it looks like it will be sandwich composite core (think surf board) I could see it being only 20-40 lbs.
    I'm hopping it is easily removable.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 10-03-2014 at 01:43 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    weight is weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    ...I can't get over how the hard top makes the car heavier...
    You expected it to make it lighter?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Then we rename it to "Project 867.5309"
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Bob
    And storable in the trunk. If it can be bent like the VW EOS, MB SLK and a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    Then we rename it to "Project 867.5309"
    It's already the Project 900 as most people seem to have trouble to make an S lighter than 880-900.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    It's already the Project 900 as most people seem to have trouble to make an S lighter than 880-900.
    anyone can make it project 800... you just need obscene amounts of money, and lots of custom parts/mods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    You expected it to make it lighter?

Jeff
    Fill it with helium, that makes it lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
    anyone can make it project 800... you just need obscene amounts of money, and lots of custom parts/mods.
    Or you need to dispense with niceties and be conscientious of what you do. Forgo style for form. Don't like the lightest wheels on the market? Too bad. lol. I don't think many of us want to really do that.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    What have you heard about the weight of the car with the hard top?
    From what I see in that picture, it looks like it will be sandwich composite core (think surf board) I could see it being only 20-40 lbs.
    Bob
    I'm thinking they are working on just the shape, not yet working on the actual end product material yet. I would think once they get the shape they want, they'll make a mold, and build them in the same fiberglass as the rest of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    I'm thinking they are working on just the shape, not yet working on the actual end product material yet. I would think once they get the shape they want, they'll make a mold, and build them in the same fiberglass as the rest of the car.
    the box in the back ground is a company that makes composite core material. That's why I said that.
    Dave should know something about making surf boards.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    the box in the back ground is a company that makes composite core material. That's why I said that.
    Dave should know something about making surf boards.
    Bob

Nice catch

http://diabgroup.com

Post Thanks / Like
    From the part showing in the tease photo just as Dave indicated the shape is staying faithful to Vman's design. Notice how the hardtop ends far back on the deck just like shown in the profile.

818s SV Coupe MU.JPGFactory Five 818 hardtop shaping tease.jpg

Here is a rear view of a similar top from Vman's Vantage design
    Vantage%20Targa%20Rear2%20sm.jpg

Great job Factory Five!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dropping two sail pillars and a large piece of clear material to look thru will add weight. But it will also have you out on the road when it's raining, and all the roadsters have gone home.

At 42F on a blustery November day, you won't have much other competition. A roof is for those who brave the elements, not a fair weather track and show car. ; )

So, what would you prefer buzzing the rev limiter in top gear on the Mulsanne straight at 4:30 am, when any precipitation is a driving rain, a hardtop, or an open roadster with face shield? The answer is, what's the best wiper motor setup?

http://www.barcboys.com/Images/65Seb...naRain2Web.jpg <------ Your hardtop here.

Post Thanks / Like
    that photo is fake, right?

The lower edge and shadow look photoshopped

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they photoshopped that shape over it to keep the actual shape secret.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I think they photoshopped that shape over it to keep the actual shape secret.
    Yes, that is what the caption on Factory Five's website indicates:

"John, our master shaper, works on the 818 hard top. Image blacked out to keep Jim happy"

https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-ne...-factory-five/

Post Thanks / Like
    SO how can someone claim it is staying faithful to Vman's design???

Post Thanks / Like
    You can see that the hard top ends closer to the rear end than the current engine cover does. That part is visible just under the masked area. That's the only claim that FFR-ADV was making about staying faithful to the design.

Post Thanks / Like
    We all look forward to seeing more of the hardtop, but I expect Factory Five wants to get the design mature before putting it in front of us. The best we can do at this time is cheer Jim and John's efforts on our behalf.

BTW I do not think it will have a huge weight penalty since it looks like this will replace the rear deck and the humps are replaced, so the majority of new fiberglass is over our heads. Other more significant weight might be in windows if they are power windows like was used on the 33 Ford. If the windows are like the 65 coupe with racing slides they should be pretty light. If anyone knows the weight of the 33 hardtop, that would be a good estimate less the weight of the panels which we will lose. Vman's rear window is close to vertical behind the roll bar and would be the lightest.

For me a hardtop is the key to being able to use my 818 much more. Vman's design lines are classic and I wish the team my best as they make it real for us. Go John and Jim!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember Dave had high praise for Xabier's design, and Rodney's was popular too.
    Both had images with tops that I'm having trouble finding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad the 818 does not look as special as the red or black...
    Frank

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Too bad the 818 does not look as special as the red or black...
    Yup I remember way back when, when we actually thought there was a design contest, and yet we still ended up with he sub par original design.......sad really. Shouldn't look backwards at all those beautiful designs.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    They wouldn't let me sneak up there while i was touring the factory, but i was told it is their own design. Maybe some cues from vmans, but probably not completely the same. I really want to know window options. Plastic windows on the coupe are ok, because they had plastic windows on race cars. Modern cars need windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Yup I remember way back when, when we actually thought there was a design contest, and yet we still ended up with he sub par original design.......sad really. Shouldn't look backwards at all those beautiful designs.

I felt that way a little in the begining also. But they did say that this chassis would be a "swatch watch" with multiple body designs. Lets just wait and see. Some of the other designs may still be built.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think that FFR have done the 818 community a huge favour by the way the have approached the 818 project. They have engineered a fantastic chassis around a versatile power plant. By all accounts it handles extremely well and can be almost any horsepower that you wish to dial up. I race the New Zealand Targa and there are STi's that are 550bhp albeit a little fragile. So when it comes to the body, it is plain and functional. This provides scope for community members to design and develop replacement panels to change the look of the car.

FFR have proven to be responsive to the 818 communities requests for ongoing improvement with such things as the billet shifter and soft top and shortly with their hard top. But as a community we shouldn't feel limited by what FFR have developed and should be showing a little innovation ourselves. There is now over 250 kits sold which means that there are now 250 (plus probably another 100 or so more with their kits on order) potential customers for something that is sexy cool and value for money that is developed by one or more of the 818 community. There are only a few mounting points for the existing body which means that someone could conceivably design a complete new body and slip it onto the 818 chassis. I think that because the out-of-the-box 818 has a rather plain body it provides each of us the opportunity to do something ourselves to make our cars standout rather than each of us having a clone.

I think FFR's attention to chassis design and this communities innovation around body design will make this car a winner and give it substantial longevity. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gpaterson View Post
    Personally I think that FFR have done the 818 community a huge favour by the way the have approached the 818 project. They have engineered a fantastic chassis around a versatile power plant. By all accounts it handles extremely well and can be almost any horsepower that you wish to dial up. I race the New Zealand Targa and there are STi's that are 550bhp albeit a little fragile. So when it comes to the body, it is plain and functional. This provides scope for community members to design and develop replacement panels to change the look of the car.

FFR have proven to be responsive to the 818 communities requests for ongoing improvement with such things as the billet shifter and soft top and shortly with their hard top. But as a community we shouldn't feel limited by what FFR have developed and should be showing a little innovation ourselves. There is now over 250 kits sold which means that there are now 250 (plus probably another 100 or so more with their kits on order) potential customers for something that is sexy cool and value for money that is developed by one or more of the 818 community. There are only a few mounting points for the existing body which means that someone could conceivably design a complete new body and slip it onto the 818 chassis. I think that because the out-of-the-box 818 has a rather plain body it provides each of us the opportunity to do something ourselves to make our cars standout rather than each of us having a clone.

I think FFR's attention to chassis design and this communities innovation around body design will make this car a winner and give it substantial longevity. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well said and I agree. I (Also living in NZ) am waiting for a functional hard top before I commit to purchasing. I LOVE the look of the 818 from the front wheels back but have really struggled to enjoy the aesthetic at the front end. I could innovate a new front look with some good friends here in chch but would rather wait and see if FFR do another body shape.

The timing of my build allows me to wait.

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with different body shapes is they have impact on other parts. Headlights, wheel well aluminum panels are the ones I can think of that are OEM FFR. Of course all the mods one has done may be impacted too, but that's the owner's responsibility.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Originally I had the same opinion however has anyone been to FFR HQ to see the 1/4 scale models of these cars? I have and they were both dorky and comical at the same time. Rodney's design (which I loved) looked like a Manx Dune buggy! Totally unlivable and dis-proportional. At first I was disappointed too with the final product but only because I had visions of impractical designs like these making the production line. They were concepts and that's it. With that said, I'm looking forward to some refinements to the design for sure. Dave has mentioned he'd like to rework the front of the car but it's selling really well right now so.....what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    I only brought those concept drawings to highlight the possible engine cover shapes.

I agree with you about those concept drawings, they weren't practical in real life. The current 818 design is growing on me, and as most everyone has said it looks much better in person. The only part I'd change is the front bumper shape around the radiator opening, though wonders can be done with paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    While the concept drawings weren't practical, that was all we had to go on for a long time. People got attached to those concepts and many were disappointed when the final car didn't look exactly like what they fell in love with. I like what the final car looks like but I am definitely excited to see where it goes with the possibility of some changes down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 to that

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    While the concept drawings weren't practical, that was all we had to go on for a long time. People got attached to those concepts and many were disappointed when the final car didn't look exactly like what they fell in love with. I like what the final car looks like but I am definitely excited to see where it goes with the possibility of some changes down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    i cant wait to see a real top

im all in !!!!!!!

kerry

Post Thanks / Like
    I Agree with indiana818 I'm all in as well! I hope when they release the hard top they also come out with AC/Heat for the 818 & Power windows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisromersh View Post
    I Agree with indiana818 I'm all in as well! I hope when they release the hard top they also come out with AC/Heat for the 818 & Power windows.
    Wow, there is such a wide range of people getting the 818. You want power windows. I have to decide if I'm going to put in a cup holder.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to put in a cup holder.
    Bob
    CUP HOLDERS! What you not putting one It was assumed you needed at least one so you can keep both hands on the steering will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    From the part showing in the tease photo just as Dave indicated the shape is staying faithful to Vman's design. Notice how the hardtop ends far back on the deck just like shown in the profile.

818s SV Coupe MU.JPGFactory Five 818 hardtop shaping tease.jpg

Here is a rear view of a similar top from Vman's Vantage design
    Vantage%20Targa%20Rear2%20sm.jpg

Great job Factory Five!
    Last I heard the design will be a little different than VMAN's. IT's only going as far as the front deck engine cover and around the humps so you can still use the trunk (to check tranny oil?) . They had considered the full GT design like pictured above however it would require an entirely new rear deck. I guess we'll see!

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO that suggests a fusion of Xabier's design and Vmans, at least that's what I'm hoping for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast