Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking for some tow/haul advice or help

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for some tow/haul advice or help

Hey fellow FFR builders,

Looking for some help or advice. Long story short - finished my GTM about 3 years ago. Then bought a 1937 Chevy Coupe that I've been working on for about 1.5 years now - close to done. And just last week I purchased a 1946 Dodge DD4 2-ton truck from a guy in Ottawa Canada. And here's my problem:

The truck is a dually rear end 92" wide. It is 90" tall and 16' long. Pics attached. The rear tire track width is too wide for most normal car trailers, so I need a deck-over trailer (equipment trailer) to bring it home, but can't find one to rent. Anyone out there close to Baltimore MD or on the way from Baltimore to Ottawa (Interstate 83N then 81N) that has a trailer that's willing to loan/rent/road trip (Happy to have company!)? I have a Dodge RAM 2500 good for towing 13,200lbs, just can't find a trailer. I'm assuming the '46 truck weighs ~7000 lbs.

Or, if you know of a reputable car hauler I can pay someone to do it - I just don't know any personally and I'm hesitant to use an internet-based company.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

-Michael

-----------------
    GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you remove the outside rear tires to narrow it up a bit to fit a standard trailer?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't you just let the rear tires sit on the outside of the rear part of the trailer? In other words, as long as the front tires fit between the wheel wells of the trailer, then the inner rear wheels will support the rear of the truck, and who cares what the outers do.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking truck! It's common to remove the outside duals as MPTech suggested. The track width on the front would then be the limiting factor. Have the seller give you the front track width and you may be able to use a U-Haul vehicle trailer. A more difficult option is using a dolly that lifts the front only but you will need a method of applying the vehicle brakes on the truck (these are expensive if you have to buy one) and a travel permit for all the states & provinces you travel through. Contracting the shipping may start looking better if the front track width won't fit an open car trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Don't know why I never thought about taking the outer wheels off. Duh!

And Crash - I have thought about that - just was leery about driving through customs where they will inspect the truck and them seeing the outers hanging off.

-Michael

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    RumRunner, no worries about the outside duals hanging off the trailer as long as the inside duals are planted securely. The overhang will be inside the legal limit on any flatbed or car hauler wide enough to roll the truck on and the total width will be less than the max legal limit anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Michael-

Does this mean you are still looking for a suitable trailer, or are you all set, now that you will be removing the outer wheels? Thanks!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

I found a trailer I'm renting. Aluminum 10,000 lb GVW, 7950 lb payload. Headed up to the Great White North tomorrow to pick up the truck, and driving back Saturday.

Thanks all for your help.

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't rent the trailer. There is no hope. Nothing will work. Good news for you is that I'll take the truck off your hands and save you the trouble.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    Don't rent the trailer. There is no hope. Nothing will work. Good news for you is that I'll take the truck off your hands and save you the trouble.
    Ha! So kind and considerate of you!

-Michael

-----------------
    GTM #327, LS3, G50/20, Kooks, AC, Ron's Tanks, Crash's 4-port HCV, Shane's Bolts & Plenum & etc., plus a lot of other stuff. Finished November 2013.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner View Post
    Ha! So kind and considerate of you!

-Michael
    That's how I roll.
    Always wanted a truck like that. Think it would look really cool to pull the duals and mount some of the wide semi truck tires in the back.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I picked up the truck this weekend and had no problem trailering it back. I didn't have to remove the outer rear wheels - just used them to slightly "push" the fender covers slightly wider and out of the way. A bit of a squeeze, but it worked great. Thanks for everyone's help. One last picture of it in its new home.

-Michael
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Micheal, that is one cool truck!!!