Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finaly get to build a FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice what size did you get?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    315/30 r18 rears and 255/35 r18 up front. This is the size factory five recommends, since I didn't want to deal with tire rub I used their suggested sizes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally the weatherman was wrong in my favor. On Saturday it was sunny and nice out in the morning so I ran the car around the block a couple times. I found that I love the motor that Craft Racing built. It sounds grea,t runs very civilized if just cruising and it's fully warmed (surges a bit when cold), and it will liquefy the tires on command in at least the first 3 gears. �� IMG_2289.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Those tires look wicked!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, they are the Toyo R888 replacements. Same rubber compound but revised cording and sidewalls for better response and stability. I haven't had a chance obviously to run them at the track yet so I can't give you my thoughts on how they do when warmed up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Those are some MEATY tires! If you don't mind the tip, it looks like you need some help with pics and such.

Here are some links with tips...

...about managing a build thread title:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tle-Guidelines

Embedding pics using our gallery:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...tures-in-posts

More about offsite pics:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-post-pictures

PS I gotta hand it to you BIG HP guys. I'm very happy with my little 302. At least I can put my foot into it without too many surprises...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

7. Thanks wltrmtty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, thanks for the help with the pics. I would post more often, but every time the pics don't want to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Updates... at this point I'm knee deep in body work and one thing I can say is that the build quality of the chassis and suspension is fantastic, the body how ever the body is defiantly one area where Factory 5 could put some work into. I have had to go about panel alignment and trimming and filling. Trimming it self was not all that bad if you take your time. Panel alignment is another issue. As everyone before expressed the drivers door fitment is rough and the passenger side is a bit better but by no means like a factory production car. The trunk does not roll with the body and required 2 days to get it right. The front and rear cowls were easy to get straight and no major headaches there. The rear quarters and tail of the car is another issue. I have 3 weeks into getting them straight and I probably have another full day to get them done. Now I did add some work as I wanted to eliminate the style line at the rear lights and clean up the fitment so that the lights don't look to big for the mounting surface. I also smoothed out the rear fender lip as it had a rather abrupt transition right at the top of the arch that would be obvious if not taken care of. As of today I have about 150 hrs into it with another 150 or so to go before we get to prime and block it. I'm after as close to perfect as I can get and with what needs to be done to get this body there will take a while. One motivating factor is I paid for the paint and primer the other day. Then again the $2,700 bill for the Sikkens stuff was a bit of a hit on the wallet.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 07-19-2017 at 03:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found out that Reincarnation magazine did a article on my motor build (page 12). https://www.rcnmag.com/ezines/2017/03

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if there are body guys around the forums. If so I have to ask if any one found as many issue as I am with the body. Very little on the body so far has not required attention to the point where I would call it straight enough to epoxy and primer. The nose of the car doesn't roll the same from one side to the other. I had ripples under the leading edges of the doors. The front fender valley near the hood opening is very bad on the drivers side (goes up and down like a amusement park water slide), the trunk didn't roll to fit the body, and I still haven't touched the hood yet, which looks to be the worst part. I now have 300 hrs into the body and have at least another 150 to go just to get it in the first coat of epoxy. Ive done my share of cars and I have to say this thing is any thing but straight. Perhaps i'm to picky but If I am going to do a car I want it more then flat I want it straight.image2.JPGimage4.JPGimage5.JPGimage6.JPG P.S. if there are any body guys in Grand Rapids Mi that are looking for some thing to do for fun give me a shout. lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 08-29-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great body work, but scaring me a little. I will probably use Whitbys. Will they address all these issues if they are on my body?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Great body work, but scaring me a little. I will probably use Whitbys. Will they address all these issues if they are on my body?
    These bodies aren't perfect. They are fiberglass which has it's own challenges to get straight. Plus I agree they aren't perfectly symmetrical from side-to-side. Especially the nose around the brake cooling inlets and also the famous DS door. But with all due respect (and I do really mean that) 300 hours and still another 150 for body work alone isn't typical. Shops that have experience with these, including Whitbys, have seen it all and know what to do. Small consolation I guess, but the Mk4 is a way better than previous versions. Especially some of the real early Mk's. I saw a big jump in quality between the Mk3 I did and the two Mk4's.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a lot of sanding! Built mine back in 04 and looks very similar to what I went through Looks like you have your work cut out for you...You're getting closer though

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I'm making progress. It's slow but all body work is like that. I realize the hours sound high but that is a matter of how close to perfect you want to get. When growing up I learned from my father and his friends who owned body shops. And who is a pure perfectionist to this day. He has always told me don't worry about the hours just get it right. I trust him when it comes to this stuff as he has built some truly beautiful cars that are laser straight. In fact he has done a few cars for restoration shop owners. The last one being a 1970 fj. To me my time is free and materials are cheep and if I can get a car to this level why not. For me some parts that have added some decent time that a shop may not spend a lot of time on are the jams. We mudded from the body to the panel cut the mudded jam then mudded the jams to make everything straight then reradioused the edges of the body jams as they where to large in comparison to the radius on the panel edges. Most people wouldn't notice this but to me if I only do it once then I'll do it to where I like it. I have a ton of pics of these types of areas that I will do a write up on after we put the car in the spray booth.for now I'll keep sanding in the garage making a complete dusty mess of everything��.

Post Thanks / Like
    image1(3).JPG Finaly got the body and doors in epoxy, now just the hood and the bottom side of the rockers to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while with out posting. But as of recently I just about have the car assembled and ready for disassembly before the primer blocking and color. Every thing is fit up good with the exception of the headers which will require some cutting, replacing some tubes and TIG welding. image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpegimage6.jpegimage7.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like all those hours in prep work paid off!! I sent you a PM on your fuel tank
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    Ya I would like to think so. We did a lot of stuff most painters simply can’t do in a reasonable amount of time, and it would take a lot of pictures to show it all. Perhaps I’ll go over it later after the car is completed. I’m just fortunate to have my dad a old body guy to help me out. I actually had to laugh the other day as we talked to a one-off his friends at their body shop about shooting the color and primer. He was ecstatic to see the car as he said “knowing your dad it will be perfect”. I’m hoping to get it to the booth next week for the first of 3 priming sessions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally I have some down time to post some more pics. As I said before I'll do a write up later but here are some current pics of the build. In a few weeks the color should be going on the body if all goes well. We have the second coat of primer on and the undercoating goes on Friday

IMG_2646.JPGIMG_2649.JPGIMG_2674.JPGIMG_2676.JPGIMG_2677.JPGIMG_2694.JPGIMG_2696.JPGIMG_2699.JPGIMG_2746.JPGIMG_2747.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!
    Higgy

Post Thanks / Like
    The edging on the carpet looks great. What is that technique called?
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s a black vinyl or nylon edging stitched with clear and black thread. The loose edging on the spool almost looks likes fabric up close. The technique name I’m not sure of. They roll the sides of the edging over on itself and then around the carpet before stitching it about 1/16” from the edge. It looks awesome and from what I could tell the owner operator takes his work very seriously and was great to deal with. At first I called a few shops including a high end upholstery shop and I was directed to a local carpet shop that only does carpet edge sewing. The center support carpet edging was done on a manual machine by hand and the rest was done with a crazy looking carpet edging machine. That can probably do 100+ feet per minute. All the carpet edged was cheap; I think I have all of $60-$70 into it. They even glued and pressed all of the edges.
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 02-22-2018 at 02:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally in the last coat of primer. It's only a few weeks before color and clear. As of the last primer blocking I can say this should be as straight as you can get one. Now I'm getting excited.
    IMG_2814 copy.jpgIMG_2815 copy.jpgIMG_2817 copy.jpg
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 04-10-2018 at 07:30 PM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally stripes done. Here is some teaser pics. of the final color. Still needs to be wet sanded and 2 more coats of clear before the final cut and buff. But I’m liking the colors.8891E557-B5D4-4F34-AB18-C4FB9CD0602B.jpegAD84A1B2-5AB9-43B1-A8D1-7BF5683AD6CC.jpeg
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 07-31-2018 at 10:22 AM.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went the classical way of striping the car with block stripes (no outer pin stripes) as I prefer it that way on classic cars, and I used the 1.5” gap as suggested by Whitby so that it nicely matched the badges for the car. The grey color uses a lot of pearl so the color flops from dark to light and it completely pops when it’s in the sun with the viper red stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    About done polishing the last of the swirl marks out. I just about forgot how long it takes to color sand down to 2000 grit before polishing. I’ll finally have the body back on the chassis for good tomorrow. Then the fun begans with registering it in Michigan. Does any one know about how long it takes the SOS to get the vin for the car from the time I turn in the inspection paperwork?

9D6A3E4C-D984-4576-98E8-75A0F48F2C76.jpegA9DA5ABE-A97B-41CC-9AA2-2686911F0F9E.jpeg
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 08-21-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn, it looks great!! Keep the updates coming!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GFX2043mtu View Post
    Does any one know about how long it takes the SOS to get the vin for the car from the time I turn in the inspection paperwork?
    Once you complete the TR-54 Inspection Form and turn it in with all the other paperwork (receipts, MSO, application for title, taxes due, etc.) they officially say to allow 8 to 10 weeks for processing the new title. My #8674 Roadster last year was just short of 8 weeks before they called and brought over the title and VIN tag. Then you can go back to the SOS and complete the registration and get your plate. You need proof of insurance at that point. Then you're legal and can drive. Note they no longer will give you a temporary plate while waiting for the title and VIN. They used to... Note also they don't do these very often so your local SOS may be pretty ignorant about the process. Study the materials on the SOS website (https://www.michigan.gov/documents/B...3__83315_7.pdf) and have everything exactly in order, copies made, and know what you're doing. It helps. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was finally able to bring the body home on the chassis. At this point I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I can’t wait till I can roll it out of the garage for it’s first drive.
    5ABAAEE2-106C-4996-9DEA-B8215F0E27AC.jpeg9F2653A2-26B1-4F93-B012-7E02309A4245.jpeg3BE4E571-0FE2-42F5-B11C-83C4F5E9A7FA.jpeg
    Last edited by GFX2043mtu; 08-23-2018 at 08:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I’m just about done. I still have to do the door sill carpet and put the emblems on the car. But besides that the build journey chapter is about done. I have the filled out tr-54 form and I’m heading to the SOS today to apply for a vin number. I can’t wait for the second chapter to start as that is where the driving is 😎. 6B31CB8A-6EF0-47FB-A54F-2AF6C9C3FDC7.jpg9D2F0CBF-BBDC-49BD-9BFE-15C2F1960286.jpg

33. Likes Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well 82918 is now done registered and plated. With the end of season knocking at the door I’ve drove the car a total of 159 miles now and it’s great. Tire grip is limited since it’s been in the 50’s so I haven’t had a chance to truely roll the throttle. But even at 1/3 throttle it gets down to business and it’s just as fun to cruse with. 5E8F69DC-1E9F-4EFE-9E22-B586793435FE.jpgBDB99E1D-CCD5-4AF0-A392-3F1180FBD02D.jpgC950F029-3910-4FE4-A838-BB529C68E4BA.jpg13700BE3-5618-4E9F-89EF-987E18E0E566.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice.... your attention to detail on the body shows.... Your father was right!!! Congrats.... My son lives in GR, works at the Amway Grand Hotel...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice I drive by there every now and then when I head down town. I’ve lived in GR for many years but sadly enough I’ve never stayed there. From the people I know that have I hear it’s an amazing hotel. If your ever in town PM me and we can meet up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12