Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any tricks to Titling/registering in Virginia?

Post Thanks / Like

Any tricks to Titling/registering in Virginia?

Reading the VA code is a bit confusing. Anyone have recent experience getting their car street legal? Can I only register an FFR MK4 replica as an antique? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw your post. Do you still need help with the Va. registration ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw your reply. Gordon Levy is building a car for me. I hope to get it shipped to VA in July. I have all the forms, but I'm not sure if anything will be different since I didn't build the car. I've read all the posts I could find, and plan on hand delivering the package to Richmond. I have the FFR# to start filling out forms, but reckon I'll need to take delivery before I can submit any paperwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am preparing to do the same ....

Tomcat just went through the process and described it to me last week... he can fill in the blanks

1. Hand carried the package to Richmond and handed to the person in charge of getting the title;
    2. She took it up to her office and came back and told him what he owed which he paid by check;
    3. A few days later he was contacted by either DMV or State Police ??? to have someone come check the chassis number ... Basically to verify the stuff in the application ...so yes you need to have the car available for this inspection
    4. In 3 weeks he received his title as a 1965 replica NOT an antique. They would not title or issue tags at DMV as an antique since it was not built 20 years ago (also in VA if you could get the black antique plates...you would technically only be able to drive it to and from shows, to and from car events and for maintenance);
    5. Now for the unusual part ... the DMV did not require a state inspection before giving him the tags. Based on my readings the car must be inspected to the standards for the year it replicates; and,
    6. The DMV process was a few hours and he was off driving his car.

Tom can fill in the holes I missed ...

When do you expect delivery from Gordon?

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    I am preparing to do the same ....

Tomcat just went through the process and described it to me last week... he can fill in the blanks

1. Hand carried the package to Richmond and handed to the person in charge of getting the title;
    2. She took it up to her office and came back and told him what he owed which he paid by check;
    3. A few days later he was contacted by either DMV or State Police ??? to have someone come check the chassis number ... Basically to verify the stuff in the application ...so yes you need to have the car available for this inspection
    4. In 3 weeks he received his title as a 1965 replica NOT an antique. They would not title or issue tags at DMV as an antique since it was not built 20 years ago (also in VA if you could get the black antique plates...you would technically only be able to drive it to and from shows, to and from car events and for maintenance);
    5. Now for the unusual part ... the DMV did not require a state inspection before giving him the tags. Based on my readings the car must be inspected to the standards for the year it replicates; and,
    6. The DMV process was a few hours and he was off driving his car.

Tom can fill in the holes I missed ...

When do you expect delivery from Gordon?

Carl
    Thanks for the detail Carl. This was a question I was going to ask you about if we ever met in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any ideas on an 818 since that is not a replica? I would assume that it would need to meet the year of the donor perhaps? For a non-donor build as I am doing this should be interesting.
    FFR Build Status: Reset button hit
    '03 Subaru Impreza eSi RHD...because Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Any ideas on an 818 since that is not a replica? I would assume that it would need to meet the year of the donor perhaps? For a non-donor build as I am doing this should be interesting.
    Here you go:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...1-Virginia-DMV

How far along are you? I'll probably be trying to register in the spring.