FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  27
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Wareaglescott's Coyote build thread - INDEX ADDED TO POST #1

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, thanks for the index. If you're idle hands are jonesing for cobra work, then shoot over to bham and ill let you drill and rivet some panels. I got my kit in last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update. Paint work is progressing at Whitby's. I am visiting there next Monday to see the painted body. I am having the car shipped home to me but wanted to lay eyes on the paint work before it leaves the shop. I do not believe the car will be completely ready by then because I am having them install the windshield and a few other items. Paint work should be ready to inspect though. Very excited to see the paint. Hope to have the car home in the next few weeks to finish up.

In the meantime I have started working on the registration process for Alabama. The first step is to submit some paperwork which they will review and then I will take the completed car for an inspection and they will install the VIN plate. The paperwork will take weeks to process and I have all the required information so I figured I would get that going concurrently to minimize the time spent waiting for inspection.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with the registration. Must be pulling your hair out waiting.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Good luck with the registration. Must be pulling your hair out waiting.
    -Steve
    I am certainty ready for it to be back.
    I have found the bodywork/paint aspect of this project to be the only part that isn't 100% enjoyable. I'm just not willing to do it myself so that puts you on someone's else timetable which is hard for this self proclaimed control freak! Haha
    I'm confident in the end product and the wait is almost over.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like

color is happening

Jeff at Whitby sent me this picture this morning. I am very excited to see some color on the car. He indicated they are taping the stripes now. Hoping to see some body color in the near future!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    WareEagleScott,

> I can't wait to see how your stripes come out.
    > As I stated earlier, I never intended to put stripes on my car, but love your pattern.
    > If I pilfer your pattern the center stripes will be gun metal gray to match my wheels and red over the rest of the body.
    > Also, it looks like Jeff is moving quicker than I thought he would so I'm glad I was wrong regarding my earlier concern.

Good Luck, Looks Great & I Know You Can't Wait!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    WareEagleScott,

> I can't wait to see how your stripes come out.
    > As I stated earlier, I never intended to put stripes on my car, but love your pattern.
    > If I pilfer your pattern the center stripes will be gun metal gray to match my wheels and red over the rest of the body.
    > Also, it looks like Jeff is moving quicker than I thought he would so I'm glad I was wrong regarding my earlier concern.

Good Luck, Looks Great & I Know You Can't Wait!

Steve
    Thanks Steve. You are so non traditional with the engine choice you might as well match that with a non traditional stripe choice!
    That sounds like a great looking color combination. The majority of the country will think I'm crazy but as a resident of SEC country I think you can understand why this Auburn man had to disqualify all colors of red, burgundy from consideration before I even got started. lol
    My color choice is unique for sure. The die cast model I painted up looks good but I sure am anxious to see the actual in person!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I totally get the SEC thing and my Father-N-Law wants me to paint my car Purple & Gold, even though I didn't go to LSU.

Your car will be the talk of your town once completed.

By the way, it will look way better than Purple & Gold!

Post Thanks / Like

Color is on

Pretty excited to get these pictures today. I love how it is looking. It is certainly unique and non traditional. I am sure it is not for everyone but I sure am pleased. Cant wait to see it in person next Monday when I visit Whitby. Really starting the see the completion of this project coming soon!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm Really Thinking I'll Be Copying Your Stripe Design!

Does It Look Great Or What?

Now For The Clear!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, this is gonna look so good.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    This is well on its way to looking fantastic ... I have seen Whitby's work and it is pretty incredible.

I too am very fond of your stripe choice; and will also be an imitator of same in the future. It looks like the hood scoop would be all in the stripe color ... is that correct?

Congratulations,

Carl
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Post Thanks / Like

stripes

Quote Originally Posted by carlewms View Post
    This is well on its way to looking fantastic ... I have seen Whitby's work and it is pretty incredible.

I too am very fond of your stripe choice; and will also be an imitator of same in the future. It looks like the hood scoop would be all in the stripe color ... is that correct?

Congratulations,

Carl
    Thanks Carl!
    Yes the hood scoop will be completely within the stripe.
    My initial thoughts on this pattern in my mind was 3 stripes. The center stripe a little thinner and the outer stripes a little thicker than what I ended up with. After conversations with Jeff at Whitby and the painter that lays the stripes out I explained what I was wanting and told them to use their judgement and experience to lay the stripes out how it looked best and flowed best on the body with relation to the oil cooler opening and hood scoop.
    While there are technically 3 stripes their interpretation seems to conceptually be more along the lines of 1 large stripe with two pinstripes. When they laid out the stripes they gave me two options. The one on the left was a 1/4" gap and 1/4" inch stripe. The one on the right is a 1/2" gap and stripe.

With my original intentions of the thicker outer stripes I choose the 1/2" gap and stripe.
    I originally found this pic below and the owner said I could use it. This is probably more like a 3/4 or 1" gap and stripe. It is all how you want to think of it. In my mind this was more of a triple stripe vs a single stripe with pinstripes. We are only talking an additional 1/4-1/2" but in my eye it makes a big difference.

I am thrilled how it turned out. For those considering this pattern just keep in mind the outer stripe size and gap can make a big difference how it turns out. I did find another picture of what not to do but don't want to post someone else's car as a negative example. On that one the gap was quite thin and the outer stripes where probably 3-4 times the thickness of the thin gap. I thought it looked horrible but that is just my opinion. In my eye the gap and the outer stripe need to be the same thickness.

One last thing and it will be more noticeable later when you see pictures including the hood. Whitby uses a tapered stripe. They told me it tapers at 7 places along the body. (I think they said 7). The center stripe thickness is 15" thick at the nose and 16.5" back at the cockpit. I think visually that will make it look best as well.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-23-2017 at 05:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

clear coat

They sprayed the clear yesterday.
    Jef at Whitby indicated they will let the car sit for close to a week and then start the sanding and polishing process. I really know nothing about the finish process and have been surprised how many steps there are. Jeff said they will start with 800 grit paper and then go by 200 grits up to 2500 and then 3 grits of polish and then it will be time for assembly. Sounds like quite a process. Can't wait to see it in person Monday! (even though that will be before the sanding)

Last edited by wareaglescott; 03-23-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This build thread is outstanding. In fact, I've gone back and "re-done" some of my work to bring my car up to speed. Thanks for all of the effort you've shown in helping the rest of us. I really appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!!
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CatBuster95 View Post
    This build thread is outstanding. In fact, I've gone back and "re-done" some of my work to bring my car up to speed. Thanks for all of the effort you've shown in helping the rest of us. I really appreciate it.
    Thanks! I have learned so much from everyone on the forum I am glad some of my information can be useful to others.
    How did people build these cars before the forum? I cant even imagine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on color, that's awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

field trip to Whitby

Took another visit to Whitby today to see the paint colors. I was in the area and this was my chance to see it before it gets sent home to me. I really wanted to lay eyes on it to see the color in person before it was sent home and this was my opportunity. They still need to wet sand and buff the paint. As of today it looks great. I was completely satisfied with the colors. As expected there are some imperfections in the clear coat they will clean up with the sand and buff. I also decided to have them add a clear protectant they offer to the nose area and forward area of the rear wheel arches. Once they finish that they will be installing the body and windshield and a few other small tasks I requested. Hopefully it will be home in 2-3 more weeks.

Here are some pics (Crappy lighting inside and taken with an iPhone. Cant wait to see it in the sun!)

My wife happened to be with me on this visit. I have some interest in a 33 next or a Gen 3 Coupe. I was hoping she would get excited seeing a 33 in person. She wasn't overly impressed. That plan may have backfired! haha

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks Totally Fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really lookin good, Scott. Great color choices and design.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice color! I like it!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really great. I really like the combination. I want to more about that protectant they're talking about. Interested to see what that is and how it's applied. I think it was pointed out before, but I'm amazed they haven't drilled any of the holes in the body. Hood latches, hood scoop, lights, etc.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Super nice color combo! Congrats! How long did it take to wipe that grin off your face? Soon, you can enjoy.

Len
    1972 Corvette Stingray 350 c.i. Manual Steering & Brakes
    2003 H-D Softail Deuce 88 c.i. TwinCam
    Gen 3 Coupe Dreamer

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Scott! Kind of the inverse of one I did a couple of years ago (still one of my favorite combinations):

Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    ...I think it was pointed out before, but I'm amazed they haven't drilled any of the holes in the body...
    Yeah, I'm still baffled by this. Maybe they're gonna' leave it for Scott to do

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Looks really great. I really like the combination. I want to more about that protectant they're talking about. Interested to see what that is and how it's applied. I think it was pointed out before, but I'm amazed they haven't drilled any of the holes in the body. Hood latches, hood scoop, lights, etc.
    The holes for the lights and roll bars are there. Im not sure why they haven't done the rest. I guess that is just how they do it. They do so many cars I am not real worried about it. Would scare the heck out of me to be doing it though!!!

The clear protectant gets sprayed on. The teal hot rod had it on so I could see it. There is definitely a texture line where it ends that you can feel when you run your hands over it. You can see it coming across the nose where it stops if you are looking for it. If you want to take it off you can apply heat and it will peel off. They said it is very durable. I have a friend with a similar film on a porsche. The part that comes across the nose is not for everyone but I think I would rather look at that than a chip. I will have to ask the product name again. I find my attention to detail on this project has been very high but when it comes to the paint I really don't have a clue about the processes or technique. I am putting full trust in Whitbys reputation and a recommendation from them is good enough for me without much further research into the particular product they use.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate everyones comments on the color combo ( and the lack of comments by those that it does not appeal to!).
    I was looking for something unique and I feel I have achieved that.

Jeff I wonder if that is the same orange. Mine is a Corette color called Atomic orange. Is that what you used?

All you guys that have done this multiple times are making me nervous about the holes!! I guess it doesn't leave much room for error particularly on the hood latch holes!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Jeff I wonder if that is the same orange. Mine is a Corette color called Atomic orange. Is that what you used?
    Atomic Orange was one of several colors that I did sample sprays of for the owner:

After many sleepless nights fretting about his decision he finally settled on Dodge "Mango Tango"

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott-

Paint looks great! Super color, and the stripe turned out terrific. I think you made the right call regarding the thickness.

Sorry your wife didn't like the '33. Perhaps the coupe will catch her eye. Is she an Auburn alum as well? Maybe inverse colors for her car...

Getting close now!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Scott-

Maybe inverse colors for her car...
    Dont be ridiculous Steve! They are all mine! hahaha
    Luckily for me she just likes to ride and is happy for me to have whatever toys I want.

Thanks for the compliment on the colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome

Post Thanks / Like

Clear protectant / job list

I had previously mentioned the clear protectant Whitby will apply. Turns out I misunderstood the product they will use. I thought it was a spray on product but it is in fact a protective film.
    The product is called Star Shield.
    http://starshieldsolutions.com/#products-menu

Still the same qualities I mentioned before other than it does not spray on. Jeff at Whitby did verify that was the same product on the teal hot rod I saw in person. Looked great on that car. He indicated it is pretty difficult to apply properly on the nose section due to the curves. I am confident they will do a nice job though.

At this point I am really getting anxious and struggling to wait for the car to come back! I really want to finish it up. I decided all I could do was get organized on the tasks I have remaining when it comes back. I figured I would break it down into areas of the car and attack it in that way. When I look at it in this format it makes me realize there really won't be much left. A lot of these tasks are simply putting things back on that I have previously mounted and will go very quickly.
    I did an alignment already. I am pretty confident in that. The main reason I bought the tools to self align was because i did not have a local shop I have confidence in. Turns out Whitby has a shop nearby they use all the time and will do the alignment for $160. I am going to have them do that just to verify what I already did. I figure that is worthwhile for $160.

Here is the remaining job list. I already have 75 miles on the go cart and have given it a decent shakedown and checked most components over multiple times. I am open to any suggestions though on good practices or procedures to think about before putting the car out on the real roads. Please fire away with any suggestions.

INTERIOR
    Seat install
    Hook up seat heaters
    Under door aluminum and carpet pieces
    Door panels
    Trans tunnel cover install
    Stick swap

WINDSHIELD
    tube in track off windshield
    Mount mirrors to wind wings
    Install wind wings
    Install rear view mirror
    Install sun visors

FRONT
    headlights/blinkers
    Hood badge
    Radiator aluminum
    Brake duct pieces
    Front bumper
    Splash guards
    Headlight align
    Engine cover install

MID
    fender badges
    Sidepipe heat shields

REAR
    lights
    License plate wiring and bracket mount
    Finish trunk carpet
    Rear splash guards
    Rear bumper
    Trunk badge
    Red loctite on IRS jam nuts

GENERAL
    check tire pressure
    check battery and charge as needed

Post Thanks / Like
    So close Scott!
    Have you started the registration process yet?
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    So close Scott!
    Have you started the registration process yet?
    I have all the documents together. Will send them in when I have a firm date the car will be here. Once the documents are approved I have to take it to Montgomery to have it inspected. I have been in contact with the inspector numerous times throughout the build. He says not to send the stuff in until I am ready for inspection. I know the wheels of bureaucracy will cause me some more delay but I don't want to tick the guy off by the off chance my stuff makes it through unexpectedly quick.

Post Thanks / Like

wind wings and sun visors

Did the absolute last thing I could do this morning until the car returns. I am in such build withdrawal I had to do something no matter how small the task.
    I got the wind wings ready to install. I opted to use the Breeze side mirrors that mount on the wind wings. I like the look of them and felt they would offer a little better visibility. I am thinking with the high back seats my vision around a normal blindspot area will be somewhat hindered and figured these may be a little better. I mounted one on both sides.

Also got the sun visors ready to mount.

Now I wait....

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

I love your thread. Your PCM issues had me hooked as if I was watching a soap opera (which I don't) but man seeing everything come together is truly amazing. Reading all your post has been really insightful and I learned a lot from it. I can not wait to read it all over again when I start my build in the near future. I will reference your thread and Pauls thread like a hawk. I love what you have done and you provided me confidence that anyone with the people of this community can build a great car.

My hat's off to you!

Eden

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rx7922 View Post
    Scott,

I love your thread. Your PCM issues had me hooked as if I was watching a soap opera (which I don't) but man seeing everything come together is truly amazing. Reading all your post has been really insightful and I learned a lot from it. I can not wait to read it all over again when I start my build in the near future. I will reference your thread and Pauls thread like a hawk. I love what you have done and you provided me confidence that anyone with the people of this community can build a great car.

My hat's off to you!

Eden
    Thanks Eden. When I joined the forum last April I knew absolutely nothing about these cars. All the information here on the forum and the help people are willing to provide make it possible for anyone to build one of these things. I can't imagine how anyone ever built one before the forum!! Good luck with your upcoming build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, You've probably read it here before but be darn careful about the length of the screws that mount the visor tabs to the windshield. One touch of the glass and you're done. I did body/paint/final assembly on one a few years ago and when the owner took it home one of the first things he did was install the visors he'd purchased---less than an hour after getting it off the trailer he had a cracked windshield caused by contacting it with a screw that was just a bit too long

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Scott, You've probably read it here before but be darn careful about the length of the screws that mount the visor tabs to the windshield. One touch of the glass and you're done. I did body/paint/final assembly on one a few years ago and when the owner took it home one of the first things he did was install the visors he'd purchased---less than an hour after getting it off the trailer he had a cracked windshield caused by contacting it with a screw that was just a bit too long

Jeff
    Thanks for the heads up! Paul actually sent me some screws to use to help alleviate that issue. I may need to grind them down just a bit but will be very careful on the install.

Post Thanks / Like

Final phase of paint work

Got some pictures today of the progress. They have started the final sanding and buffing. Can't wait to see the finished product. It is amazing to me how they clear coat it then scuff it up so bad and then make it look even better than before. My hats off to anyone that does their own paint and bodywork. After seeing all the work that has gone into this I am glad I hired this portion out!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast