BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4 into 4 headers vs J pipes

Post Thanks / Like

4 into 4 headers vs J pipes

Does anyone care to share their opinions on the performance or sound difference?

The 4 into 4 are sexy looking, but is there a significant increased volume? Is it too much?

I have noticed some high dollar builds on here using the J pipe, so I am guessing it is not being used because they were to cheap to spring for the headers.

As always, I appreciate any opnions

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to be running 4 into 1, back into 4 with a little twist.
    I am hoping for a flatter torque curve and a slight sound reduction.
    My J-Pipe will be 3 inches in diameter so it should accomplish my goal.
    You can see my set up in the attached YOUTUBE because I stink at putting pics online.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Post Thanks / Like
    When I ordered the options were 50% off so the cost of going aftermarket vs the FFR coyote headers/ J pipe was a pretty significant difference. If I am remembering correctly it was going to be 3-4 times what I was paying. That was why I decided on the J pipe so in my case it was because I was cheap. haha
    With that being said at this point I am quite happy with the sound. Of course I am still in the "this is awesome I don't care how loud it is" phase. Over time I could see the potential that I think I might prefer something with a quieter more refined sound.

I think it would be great if guys with different setups could provide some audio clips. I guess that wouldn't help a ton though because of differences in recording devices/conditions. I sure would like to hear some alternatives though.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine? Coyotes are quiet anyway if that's what you are going to be running. Engine type and specs are generally the determining factor as far as noise level. All things being equal I think the sound level is pretty similar between the J and 4X4 since they're going through the same muffler either way.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be running a 302. Is there a big performance difference between J-pipes and the 4 into 4 headers? I would imagine they would help since the increase in runner length.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just changed from J pipes to headers and don't think it is any louder but did change the tone some.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you notice anything in the seat of the pants department?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 302 and the BBK 4 into 4 headers. I am very happy with the performance, and the sound.
    I was actually told at one car show I entered, by a group of other entrants, that when I pulled in, they all swore it had a big block. They were quite surprised when i told them it had the 302.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh good to hear

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it does have more power , I have only driven it 1 short drive before weather got bad again.
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the dyno the difference between the J pipes and 4 into 4's on a 347 was 75 rwhp.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. That is huge. Were the j pipes connected to some decent headers?

Post Thanks / Like
    The usual aftermarket shorties
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    I upgraded to 4 into 4 when I put the new motor in. They sound much better and also seem to reduce the amount of heat transferred into the foot boxes. Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    On the dyno the difference between the J pipes and 4 into 4's on a 347 was 75 rwhp.
    I'm not surprised. The J pipe for the Coyote is quite restrictive at both ends of the pipe. I purchased the 4x1x4 headers from Stainless Headers during my 2012 build before go cart stage. Never did like the restriction in those J,s. the crate Coyote was rated at 411HP and came in at 488 HP with the better breathing and a slight adjustment to ignition and valve timing.