Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: donor car

Post Thanks / Like

donor car

i'm a hard core track day guy and would like to go with the new Subaru based car. i'd like to buy a WRX donor car now before the demand ramps up. The problem is that I don't know what parts will be used in the new car, so I don't know what to look for in a wrecked car. Please advise.

Post Thanks / Like
    unfortunately, there is no list of what parts will or won't be used from the donor yet. so we're all in the same boat till the list becomes available

Post Thanks / Like
    I expect that the 818 will be a well selling kit car, but I don't think it's going to have a noticeable impact on the value of WRX parts or cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ +1

It will have a much a smaller impact than subaru enthusiasts that enjoy older body styles or other models that look for wrx parts for upgrades already.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    add to that the fact that subarus are like legoes, and chances are the part you need is the same part that has been around for many years before and/or after the 02-07 model range..

Post Thanks / Like
    In all honesty I dont think demand will get too crazy for awhile, this car would have to become incredibly popular for it to become difficult to find wrx parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone who is looking to pick up a donor now this may be a listing you want to take a look at

http://www.chayabrothers.com/listing...u_Impreza.html

I personally do not have the space for picking up a donor at the moment but I think someone could do very well with this one (even not knowing the parts list)

Considering that it would take someone 1-2 months to casually rip this car apart I think by then we may have a decent idea of a parts list. I believe SEMA is early November, do you think we will have an idea by then?

If someone has the patience I feel that you could end up getting all the necessary WRX parts for practically free if you take the time to carefully rip apart your donor. It may be time consuming but if you have the time and the patience to sell everything separately you have good potential to make out rather well.

Ebay could also be another good place to look, I see many salvage vehicles from time to time there.

I personally am hoping that we see a 818 kit on ebay much like we have seen for the gtm. I believe for the GTM the Corvette parts (All but Engine / Trans) go for 4-4.5k so if we could grab all the 818 parts for 2-2.5 it could be a very good day.

I have had some trouble finding an engine / trans has anyone taken a look to see how much these might end up costing us on average? and how much a rebuild may cost considering many of these engines will probably be pretty high mileage and not worth throwing in the 818 right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to see someone use this as a donor.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/07/s...ish-lake-star/

Anyone care to say that Subaru isn't a good choice?

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's a new way to define "Supercar"!!! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just going on past history, if you were to find a car with a side impact you'd be pretty safe. Front and rear end hits have the potential to damage more parts but as long as the damage didn't get too deep you probably be okay.

But, this is all pretty much a guess (I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn in months.)

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddurham View Post
    i'm a hard core track day guy and would like to go with the new Subaru based car. i'd like to buy a WRX donor car now before the demand ramps up. The problem is that I don't know what parts will be used in the new car, so I don't know what to look for in a wrecked car. Please advise.
    I believe if you go to FFR.com you can find a current list of parts needed and parts you won't ... both lists are subject to change
    If at first you don't succeed ... get a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like
    The don't need list is subject to add things, but anything on it will not be removed from the list.

I'll echo the side impact is best unless you can inspect the car first hand. My wreck looked ok in regards to the motor. I bought a used motor once and the timing belt cover had been impacted. That motor blew the head gaskets 5k miles later.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    My $0.02... If you are buying a salvage donor car, you would do yourself a favor to go ahead and replace things like gaskets and seals in the motor anyways. Let's face it, nobody is building an 818 to putt around in... You're going to want to hear that boxer rumble and feel a few G's... Best to spend the time and less money now to freshen it up so it lasts a LOT longer!

Post Thanks / Like
    For the 818, 90% of all rear hit cars will be fine also. The rear hubs/wheels/lateral links are the only things needed from the back so far. I guess a bit of wiring for the lights might be also, but that should be easy to fabricate if neccisary.

The fuel tank components would be next, and they are under the rear seat (in front of the rear wheels).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leetfade View Post
    Let's face it, nobody is building an 818 to putt around in...
    A few years ago a guy showed up at a local car show in a beautiful '70 Hemi 'Cuda. Some kid asked him how fast it went and he replied "I have no idea." So then the kid asks, "Well, how fast have you driven it." and the guy responded "35 mph." He then went on to explain he'd been saving for 20 years and he had no intention of cracking it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I definitely know a few of those. Most of them (emphasize most) have them built for them and just cruise around.

This car is designed to be a track slayer which means handling, acceleration, and lateral stability. Those big ol' Cudas were straight line power. They are pretty, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    This will probably by my 1st F5 build. As someone who has only bought and sold cars through dealerships, how does one go about locating a potential wrecked donor car?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are a few things on the website about sources. One of the best options is an insurance auction site. A lot of the cars you need a dealers license for, but not all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leetfade View Post
    There are a few things on the website about sources.
    I've FAILED at the internet. Have any links?

Post Thanks / Like
    copart is a good place to look. Be aware of all of the fees involved. You can quickly overspend.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other being www.iaai.com. same potential snags