FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First Post

Hello all, this is my first post. I began my build on 9 Sept. 2011. My plan is to buy the parts and then purchase the base kit. I am looking forward to this challenge. Today I purchased a brake pedal box assemby from a salvage yard. I did the modification and it turned out good. I am looking to purchase the AC brake pedals. Any advice on my game plan.

Sam,

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sam,

Welcome to the Forum and to the first step of an incredible journey. Let us know where you live (City/State.) You'd be surprised how many guys will want to stop by to see what you've got goin' on and to help with stuff.

Good luck,

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness Sam..

I also purchased the donor parts ahead of time.. I had some time to work on the donor items, cleaning, painting, re- gasketing, etc., while I was waiting for the "Big Package" to arrive.
    Depending on the donor parts, some items such as lower control arm bushings may need replacing, calipers may need to be exchanged, etc. Nice to have most of this done, so you can soon start to bolt things together when the kit arrives.
    You should also think about what gauges, switches, etc, etc, you may go with, so you can get them on order as well. Some of the little things you need can stall the build process., although you can always drill rivet holes while you wait..lol
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello AC Bill, I like your tag name. That's good to hear that someone else shares my plan. I purchased the following items already:
    Rack and pinion - sand blasted and painted (SB&P)
    Spindles - SB&P
    Calipers - SB&P
    Rotors - New
    Radiator - New
    Coolant Reservior - New
    Fuel tank SB&P
    Drive shaft - New
    Steering knuckle - New
    Battery cut out switch - New
    Pedal box - used SB&P
    AC foot pedals - New
    Rear end - pick up monday
    T-5 tranny - pick up monday
    Wheels - purchase Dec
    Tires - purchase Jan
    Gauges - purchase Feb
    And the list goes on and on

Hopefully I will purchase the base kit Dec 2012. How about you, what's next and when are you going to purchase?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great plan Sam, thats how I usually plan my kit builds. Its a good way to spread out the costs, I am on my third now and hope to sell this one to do a coupe. Keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Will do Bil,

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck buddy. it's a fun ride

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sam,

I bought my donor car 3 months before my kit arrived. That gave me a chance to really pay attention to the parts I needed to refurbish, rebuild the engine, and collect parts I didn't have, without being distracted by the kit & all those boxes just sitting there waiting. I had planned on waiting even longer to order the kit, but F5 put up a great sale and I just had to take advantage of it. So keep an eye out, you never know when another sale will come up, and good luck with your build.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Alan, do you have pictures of your build? Also, what advice can you give me about fasteners and a wire harness? I was thinking about ordering a harness from F5.

Post Thanks / Like
    For pics, click on my screen name on the left, then "view profile." You'll see my "Album." Click on that. But the pics loaded in reverse order, so to see the beginning, start at the end.

I did my own wire diet on the donor harness. It took a while, but wasn't too difficult with some help (on the other forum, but probably enough guys on this forum now) ID-ing certain components. I'm sure pre-made harness would be a lot easier.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you Alan. Very nice build, I got some good ideas from your build. Alan, which gauges and wheels did you use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Gauges are donor 88/89 Mustang. Not really vintage looking, but they work well and came out of my donor car. Aftermarket guages weren't in the budget and I'll probably never change them, but if I ever build another - and I'd love to, that is one of the things I'll change. Wheels are 17" (9" f, 10.5" r) anthracite Bullitts from OE Wheels. Good price and only an hour from my home, so I picked them up & saved the shipping: http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...els-anthracite

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Alan, the gauges look great. Thank you for the wheel website. I will order my wheels from there next month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Sam - I bought my AC pedals from Cobra Restorers and I'm not happy with them. Not sure if the ones Finish Line offers are much different but they seem larger than the ones I've seen on other Cobra's. Then you flip them over and they need to be drilled out, I guess to fit your pedal arm application. So you might want to do a bit more homework than I did before you buy them. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with mine at this point. I have a whole winter to think about it. Enjoy your build. If you would like a few pics of the pedals let me know.
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hello Pat, thank you for the help. I will do some research first. I have my eye on pedals from finish line. Yes, if you could send pictures that would be great.

Sam,

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and join the maddness.....easier than you would think.
    Owner MK4 7642RD, 393 stroker, Gordon Levy Super Alloy T5, HDX Clutch, Moser 3.31 3-link with disc brakes, 17" Bullit wheels, NT05's, Seat heaters donated by WarmSeats.com, door panels donated by Herbs Door panels.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.