Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engineering Team Begins Building 818S for Open House

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Engineering Team Begins Building 818S for Open House

The 818 Engineering Team (from L to R - Frank K., Jim S., Dan M., and Colby W.) began building our 818S this morning. This is the first production chassis from production tooling and the completed car will be presented at the June 15th Factory Five Open House! The team is writing/editing/QCing the 818 assembly manual before customers receive their kits.

The 818 chassis/welding jig was moved into production about 10 days ago. This picture shows the first production frame (we've made 4 pre-production chassis). This is always an exciting time when there is a formal hand off from R&D to production.

The R&D group has had a welder (Jon D.) working along side them and training for the last four months.

Jon D. in welding begins work in earnest on 818S chassis.

The Factory Five chassis serves as the foundation of a serious performance car. Here's a Mk4 Roadster chassis in final stages of welding.

818 firewall aluminum is one of the first assembly steps in the build.

The 818 project has been conceived, executed, and guided by our team of professional degreed mechanical engineers. Here's a fun snapshot of the FFR engineering bookshelf.

The next 30 days may not have a tremendous amount of information released since we are in the last sprint towards production and building our street car. This is a fun, exciting, and bittersweet time as it marks the end of a major new product development and the beginning of a new product life cycle. The exciting part for me is KNOWING how competent this chassis design is and how many possibilities and exiting adventures lie ahead.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Time lapse video would be awesome.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In a matter of weeks, the 818 will be joining the Mk4, Type 65 Coupe, '33 Hot Rod, and GTM in chassis assembly.

It's hard to believe the abuse this beautiful red car suffered, but when you see the remains of the chassis, you can really appreciate the degree to which the guys have done their homework in testing.

What's left of chassis #003 after being track tested, engineered, re-engineered, and now cut apart, studied, and given a proper scrap metal burial. I always feel sentimental about these prototype chassis. I just feel like sending, "Thanks, job well done!"

The lower control arms from the Subaru are really pretty units and well engineered.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 05-14-2013 at 03:45 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post

The 818 project has been conceived, executed, and guided by our team of professional degreed mechanical engineers. Here's a fun snapshot of the FFR engineering bookshelf.
    What school did you guys go to? Obtaining my mechanical engineering degree would have been a lot more fun if Florida Tech had used some of those textbooks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is just a snapshot of a bookshelf for fun.

R&D Director Jim Schenck graduated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Engineering Director Jesper Ingerslev graduated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Mechanical Engineer Dan Muldoon graduated Providence College.

Mechanical Engineer Colby Whipple New England Tech.

Engineer intern Frank Kardok is finishing up his degree at Clarkson.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    There are so many questions ; Mine are, I want an "R" version with windshield, I won't say it, but a "removable" cockpit roll bar ? for another seat ? I know it's too early to ask these questions, but I'm a pain where ever I go so live with it. suppose I could devise my own "cutting" of this bar and make a "bolt-up" system of sorts, but you guys must have thought of this in the back of your incredibly gifted and attractive minds.

After I wipe the brown off my nose I want an answer !!!!!!!!

You guys are probably exhausted from all the testing and problem solving one after another, yet you did it again, and I am sure you spent a whole hell a bundle o'money getting there while still keeping your eye on the original stuff that goes on daily.

Amazing and wish you the best of success in this new car, this will be my # 2.
    Last edited by THE ITALIAN; 05-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My BSME is from U Maine Orono but I've got half of those same books on my shelf too!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ITALIAN View Post
    There are so many questions ; Mine are, I want an "R" version with windshield, I won't say it, but a "removable" cockpit roll bar ? for another seat ? I know it's too early to ask these questions, but I'm a pain where ever I go so live with it. suppose I could devise my own "cutting" of this bar and make a "bolt-up" system of sorts, but you guys must have thought of this in the back of your incredibly gifted and attractive minds.

You guys are probably exhausted from all the testing and problem solving one after another, yet you did it again, and I am sure you spent a whole hell a bundle o'money getting there while still keeping your eye on the original stuff that goes on daily.

Amazing and wish you the best of success in this new car, this will be my # 2.

Ha! The guys have discussed this, especially because the cage on the R model makes it impossible to ship 3x high with Stewart Transport (2 stacked makes shipping alot more expensive than 3). Anyway, It may have to be a mod later and we do have some time still as the S model enters production first, followed by the R.

Also, I take your ideas very seriously. A person who has purchased and built an FFR is emminently qualified to offer advice! Thanks.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you get to acquire those books after you graduate if you land a cool job at FFR. Are you guys accepting applications? Over the years since college, I've acquired a few books in HVAC design, and a whole bunch of building codes. Not nearly as fun of a read as these books look.

Thanks, however to my hobbies the best elective I took in college, "high speed vessel design" I designed in CAD and built on my back porch a rather innovative and versatile windsurf board. Now I'm studying books on patent law. Again, not the most exciting reading. And yes, I was offended at the implication that us boat builders would dare use Bondo!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ha! The guys have discussed this, especially because the cage on the R model makes it impossible to ship 3x high with Stewart Transport (2 stacked makes shipping alot more expensive than 3). Anyway, It may have to be a mod later and we do have some time still as the S model enters production first, followed by the R.

Dave, Has there been any discussion of the R's production schedule? Do you think the dates in the preorder letters will be accurate?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    So happy for you guys to be entering the production stage now. I know I haven't been following the process as long as many people here have as I only really heard about the car in December (but I did place my order only a couple days after finding the 818). I can't wait to start seeing the car in the hands of builders to see what they come up with it. I'm jealous of the people who will be taking delivery this year, but I'm also at an advantage as I will be able to take advantage and use some of the cool stuff they do as inspiration.

Congrats to everyone at Factory Five and congratulations to those of you first on the list to receive your orders!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,

Wow, what a wondeful moment for FFR and the entire design team, as the jig was moved into production. So many of us have been on the edge of our chairs, following and savoring FFR's journey in becoming a dominate player in the high end custom car industry.

Did the the destructive analysis of #003's frame reveal anything interesting?

Da Bear
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    exciting times...thanks for the update Dave! Open house can't come soon enough...look forward to seeing the whole group... coming home!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the instructions be available for download after open house? I'd be interested in reading through them so when my kit shows up a month later I can have a plan laid out of what order to do things in and make sure I have everything.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ditto

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with The Italian

You guys are probably exhausted from all the testing and problem solving one after another, yet you did it again, and I am sure you spent a whole hell a bundle o'money getting there while still keeping your eye on the original stuff that goes on daily. Amazing and wish you the best of success in this new car, this will be my # 2.
    Dave,
    Apparently The Italian and I are brothers from different mothers. I was wondering the exact same thing. Love the look of the R, want a windshield, want to add another seat, AND want to build my second FFR!!! BTW..... Congratulations on a beautiful vision, design, and execution of plan. You and your employees never cease to amaze me.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute! Where is the machine gun mount? Hehe.

So David is this the build manual process? Are you guys keeping a time tracker? I'm hoping to built it in time to drive it to CnC OC late summer time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nickspapaw, Imagine this ! you can wear shorts in this new car ! How many "snakebites" do your have on your legs? I'm a leg model so this has been very hard owning a Roadster, especially on hot days.
    Oh and "The Mother thing".....I wouldn't be so sure, my dad is Sicilian, he did get around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any metal support to the windshield or is it just the fiberglass frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    My BSME is from U Maine Orono but I've got half of those same books on my shelf too!
    Governors

Pats Pizza

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kids in bed, I'm not tired. I have too many things in my head and sleep is such a waste! I'll try and answer a few of these questions, but more will be known as we get closer to Open House. The 818R production plan will be discussed on Thursday as there are several tough dates we've committed to so for now I can't give you anything super solid. The Windshield has steel in the support structure and the construction is flat black clam-shell inner and outer pcs.

As far as the manual and the time study, yes to both. We are keeping a clock on the assembly process as well as making sure that the manual is downloadable. The guys have been busy on some other projects, but the youtube assembly video will not be done on this car and, more likely, will be done by the tech crew after their current Mk4 project is wrapped up. I am a huge believer in the youtube assembly video shorts and we'd have them all done for each car if we had more resources, but as a small company we have to work on a challenging set of priorities and balance the timing to serve all our customers as they deserve our best each day.

I know that 003 did help the crew make a TON of changes but nothing critical was discovered. Thats actually a relief as the CAD work was more or less confirmed. There were alot of in-process changes made to the car (that's why we never powder-coated the chassis). It did it's job.

A LOT of guys have been asking about the production schedule. I think there will be opportunities to move up (and to delay if youre not ready) As of today I think we were at 234 orders, which is a HUGE number and we have to expect that some of those will not come thru. In that event, IF you are someone who wants to move your date up, we will likely have spots, and just like the other kits, when a spot opens up on the schedule it is too difficult to move everyone up and communicate to the entire list, rather we would fill the spot with the next person in line who wants to change their date or ship the chassis to a builder (who are always in a hurry to get started on a customer car order).

I think we will ALL have so many more answers by Open House and I'm doing my best to make sure that we are not the best example of the famous words, "No plan survives contact"
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like

The Factory Five chassis serves as the foundation of a serious performance car. Here's a Mk4 Roadster chassis in final stages of welding.
    Dangit!! This was going to be my new favorite picture because of the double loop role bar, but then I read the caption that it was a Mk4 Roadster chassis.

Besides that, I still can't wait to see one of these in person!!
    Last edited by bbjones121; 05-15-2013 at 12:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you have nobody from the West side of the United States. Need an Electrical and Mechanical Engineer from Colorado School of Mines?

...with chassis FEA, tranny design, suspension modeling, and 3D modeling experience from building an actual car from scratch at school...

This is just a snapshot of a bookshelf for fun.

R&D Director Jim Schenck graduated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Engineering Director Jesper Ingerslev graduated Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Mechanical Engineer Dan Muldoon graduated Providence College.

Mechanical Engineer Colby Whipple New England Tech.

Engineer intern Frank Kardok is finishing up his degree at Clarkson.
    Last edited by bbjones121; 05-15-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything looks great so far. Job well done, as expected.

Have you prototyped a cable throttle yet? IIRC all of the (revealed) prototypes were fly-by-wire. '02-'05 WRX used cables.

Have both widths (wagons/sedan) of lower control arms/rear linkages been tested? The upper control arms look like they have enough adjustment to accommodated both, just wondering if any prototypes were actually built with wagon parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats guys! This is a big deal.... Massive kudos. Jim, you rock dude... Dave you're living the dream and making them for countless others. Quite a place to be...

Seeing the track video made me a bit home sick. . Wayne and John, you are lucky dudes, great work!

818 is going to set new records I think.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I take your ideas very seriously. A person who has purchased and built an FFR is emminently qualified to offer advice! Thanks.

My Suggestion.... Look here http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...ruck-challenge Starting at 1:16 and going through 1:45. He calls them "ID Tube" clamps. I'm currently searching for their real name, and a supplier.

EDIT: found a supplier. Thinking these would be a good way to make it easy to assemble, light, and strong.
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...mp_p_1467.html
    Last edited by Ironhydroxide; 05-15-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nickspapaw, Imagine this ! you can wear shorts in this new car ! How many "snakebites" do your have on your legs? I'm a leg model so this has been very hard owning a Roadster, especially on hot days.
    Oh and "The Mother thing".....I wouldn't be so sure, my dad is Sicilian, he did get around.
    I am NOT a leg model, but I don't have any snakebites on them. I am very careful getting in and out of the car. And yes, I do wear shorts most of the time. Unless the weather requires more coverage.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Like our Italian friend and Nick's Papaw I too want to do a full removable windshield on an R (I'm on the list for an S but that will ultimately change to an R...I have no concerns about that change moving me later in the production que). Been kind of hoping to make it to the open house to get an up close and personal look at one to begin figuring out what it will take to do that but I don't think the day job schedule is going to allow time to pull that off. As always though I'll be at LCS and assume you will you be sending one. Even though it's a "C-car" event I can assure you there is interest---lots of it! When Ron, Henry and I covered the display for you guys last year we fielded a huge number of questions about the 818 and at that time we hadn't even seen the first prototype! I expect the crowd will be elbow to elbow!

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    My Suggestion.... Look here http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...ruck-challenge Starting at 1:16 and going through 1:45. He calls them "ID Tube" clamps. I'm currently searching for their real name, and a supplier.

EDIT: found a supplier. Thinking these would be a good way to make it easy to assemble, light, and strong.
    http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...mp_p_1467.html
    Thanks for the link!!! Very nice & clean idea. Thinking , maybe, when the cross bar is not in use, turn it into some type of passenger "terror" handle , something I never put in my roadster, but need. Can't have it stick out too far, then it becomes a rampart.
    You just turned this build into a whole new bag of ideas, and for that I am grateful... (and maybe a little pissed for showing me)That is why we have a FORUM, Too bad it doesn't work in Washington
    Last edited by THE ITALIAN; 05-15-2013 at 08:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there will be opportunities to move up (and to delay if youre not ready) As of today I think we were at 234 orders, which is a HUGE number and we have to expect that some of those will not come thru. In that event, IF you are someone who wants to move your date up, we will likely have spots, and just like the other kits, when a spot opens up on the schedule it is too difficult to move everyone up and communicate to the entire list, rather we would fill the spot with the next person in line who wants to change their date or ship the chassis to a builder (who are always in a hurry to get started on a customer car order).
    Very happy to hear this.

I'll be sending an e-mail to sales to see if I can get added onto that list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link!!! Very nice & clean idea. Thinking , maybe, when the cross bar is not in use, turn it into some type of passenger "terror" handle , something I never put in my roadster, but need. Can't have it stick out too far, then it becomes a rampart.
    You just turned this build into a whole new bag of ideas, and for that I am grateful... (and maybe a little pissed for showing me)That is why we have a FORUM, Too bad it doesn't work in Washington
    I posted this a while back as I plan on making my diagonal removable:

http://www.appliedracing.com/roll-ba...vis-mount.html

Not sure which would have a higher shear strength. I like both products.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave and crew-

Congratulations on reaching another awesome milestone!

Jim-

Are you working the day after your baby was born? Love that commitment, and hope that Mom and baby are doing well!! If you don't mind the invasion of your privacy, do you have the vital stats on Jim 2.0? boy/girl, height, weight (curbed and uncurbed), etc.

Congratulations to the whole team. I wish I were going to the open house to see how everything has come together! You guys have done an amazing job, and I am anxiously waiting for all the build logs coming up to see how everyone decides to customize their ride! Well done y'all!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    "EDIT: found a supplier. Thinking these would be a good way to make it easy to assemble, light, and strong.
    [URL="http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ID-Tube-Clamp_p_1467.html"]http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/ID-Tube-Clamp_p_1467.html"

I have used these on my coupe build for two removable roll cage sections. They are a well-made product, but you need to have a good idea of how to deal with weld "shrinkage," or they will be hard to remove and reassemble post-welding. You can also rotate or orient them pre-welding to provide a lot of protection from where the tube would see an impact.
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 05-15-2013 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Something similar to S&S Couplings that are used for bike frames that use belt drives could be an option. http://www.sandsmachine.com/spec_ssc.htm It would probably still need to have a pivot tho so it can be placed in compression when secured.

Can't wait to see the production S in June!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Dave and Jim, Jesper, Dan, Colby, Frank and all others at Factory Five for accepting the challenging goals and meeting them on time!
    Thanks for extending my grasp for the second time.
    I feel like a kid at Christmas because my AJW Performance donor kit will be delivered this afternoon.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I want an "R" version with windshield

Found one. Not as expensive as you'd think.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't drive an R without a helmet. Between those bars being next to your head and potential for rocks to smack your face or head (not just the eyes) I'm not sure I'd do only goggles.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't read Rasmus' post as meaning no helmet. You can wear googles with a helmet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I think of helmets as being full face and pictured goggles being used like old school racers.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Goggle's will be fine. You don't have to worry about rocks hitting you in the face when you are in first place, that is until you lap everyone.

But seriously I think some decent shatter proof sunglasses should be fine for the street, unless you have baby soft skin or terrible luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast