Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: No more 'home made' vehicles allowed to be registered in Texas

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

No more 'home made' vehicles allowed to be registered in Texas

Edit: replicas still appear to be safe. So while some FFR vehicles are stIll able to be registered, others are not.

Since I've used this forum while I heavily looked into building a FFR MK IV I figured I should give you guys a heads up on an extremely disturbing development....

As of April 1, 2013 no more 'Homemade vehicles' can be registered in the state of TX.

I received a new assembled vehicle (Ariel Atom) 2 weeks ago, and since then have gone to 2 different DMV regional offices trying to register the car. At both I was told that as of April 1, there is a new law that requires ALL vehicles to comply with federal motor vehicle safety standards. In fact, it specifically states that homemade cars are no longer able to be registered.

https://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info...l_book_451.pdf

On page 376, under 'Eligibility for Title' it says "Homemade vehicles are not eligible for title or registration. Homemade vehicles are described as vehicles that were not previously manufactured by a NHTSA approved manufacturer..."

Anyone else run into this yet? I can't believe that in Texas (of all states) this law got passed.

Parker
    Last edited by beanboy; 05-22-2013 at 10:04 PM.