Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air Conditioning?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Air Conditioning?

I am new to this forum, hello!

I saw on the DVD that someone put A/C in the 65 Coupe? Before everyone begins telling me something like, "sure, just figure it out" Has anyone actually attempted this?

I realize that this may have been discussed, but I am really looking for someone who may have already done this. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard Oben at NORTH RACECARS can set you up.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

ac

AC has been done by quit a few people. FFR and Richard Oben as well as Vintage air make systems. From what I understand the FFR and Richard Oben kit are complete kits with Richards being cheaper. The Vintage air kit needs some more parts and pieces.
    I'm talking to Richard right now to purchase his system.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    I took mine out. I adore open window driving and don't plan on taking long trips in my car or driving in bad traffic.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have it, I think more have it than don't , love it.....HTH Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    The coupe has always been offered with A/C and you will need it in my opinion. I found the unit Richard sells and I'm happy with it, keep things comfortable when it's hot outside.
    There are lots of great ways to get airflow into the car but if the airflow is hot air the A/C makes a differance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also used Richard's kit. I some photos on my flickr site. Look for sets 161 - 166.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5110304...7624552099415/
    Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to look at my paperwork but I recall I found an A/C and heat unit that would fit without modification of the firewall. Its not as long front to back but it is thick so it requires modifcation of one of the frame rails for the dashboard. The very last one I came across was a size that it should have fit with no modifications.

As I said I would have to look at my paperwork and see. Been a couple years since I did my research on ac systems for the coupe.

Found the paperwork but I apparently didnt write the dimensions of the space behind the dashboard down so I cant remember which one. But the smallest unit I found is a air and heat unit and the dimensions are 9" height x 7.125" depth x 20" width. The Vintage Air unit I came across that I think is the one for the coupe is 9" heigth x 7.3" depth x 19" width.

These how ever are A/C with heat. If you didnt want heat there are some A/C only units which are more compact.
    Last edited by Rusty_S85; 03-11-2011 at 01:16 PM.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, thanks everyone. This really helps with my decision on what to build. Eventually, I hope to complete this project with A/C because I live in a very hot and humid climate. Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thejudge View Post
    Wow, thanks everyone. This really helps with my decision on what to build. Eventually, I hope to complete this project with A/C because I live in a very hot and humid climate. Thanks again!!
    Same here, I was looking at heat and air but I am seriouslly considering just A/C. It very rarely gets to freezing here in winter and if its cold I could always wear a jacket and warm clothing.

I did find an even smaller unit which is Heat and Air with vacuum controlled blend doors, which electric servo doors could be subsituted. With or without the defroster vent openings on the top of the unit the dimensions are the same. Height 8.50" x Depth 7.00" x Width 18.50". The one I just found though is a Mini ac/heat unit and its by far smaller than the smallest one I listed above.

You also have to deside if you want to run a convential climate control panel or not. Personally I am looking at rotary knobs and hide them on the side of the transmission tunnel infront of the vintage race seats I want to use. This way its out of the way and doesnt take away from the "race car" look. But if you plan on building something like a production civilian car over a race car theme then it would be easier.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely running and using my A/C. I opted to go without heater.

In an enclosed car you will need the A/C on hot days regardless of your insulation efforts. You go on a 1 hour plus drive and the heat soak will come through not to mention it's extremely difficult to completely seal off the airflow from the behind the dash and doors on these things.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colorado Coupe here I built my coupe in 2002 - 2005 with the Vintage Air system. Works fine. Is really needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all, I had a few questions about the A/C options as well. Of the complete AC kits from FFR & Richard, anyone have experience which one is colder, or are they comparable? Living in S FL it's an important consideration for me. Also, does the FFR one require modification to the dash? Does Vintage air have an idea of what the coupe's need or are you left guessing what parts you need?

Thanks for your time!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Richards herein Fort Lauderdale.....works great! and I dont have the rear quarter window scoops sealed off!.....Easiest and most affordable way to go is with Richard.........HTH Steven
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard is selling the unit I found and installed in my coupe. I have finally been able to use it so here's the skinny. YOU NEED A/C in these cars if the temp gets over 80 degrees. I found that my opening the rear scoop windows I can be cool enough up to that point, after that the scoops are just bringing in hot air. I have driven down the freeway in temps between 80-90 degrees and opend the rear scoop windows and shut of the A/C, you can feel the differance, the A/C makes it more bearable. Does it get cold in the cockpit? No, the A/C makes it comfortable and that's a good thing. I found the unit Richard sells and I went with it because it was a better and neater install then the Vintage Air in my opinion. Vintage Air makes good protucts, I just didn't like the way the unit looked when installed, too much of it hung below the dash.. They may have a differant unit now so check on that. I do think that any A/C unit requires some mods for a better fit, nothing major but the mods do make the install easier.I added a 45 degree bend to my firewal for an example to add a bit more room.
    Heater? so far I have not needed to turn mine on. I drove down to the monterey Historics and the roadster guys bundled up, I drove down in my T-shirt. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Russ Thompson; 04-16-2011 at 08:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the comparo on the Vintage Air & Richard's unit Russ!

Hey Steven, glad to hear you're happy with Richard's unit in our area! I have yet to see a Coupe in person & I'm close to Ft Lauderdale, any chance I might be able to check yours out? I'll be in Miami tomorrow till late, but could probably meet you anywhere you like Monday or Tuesday if you're available & up for it. Shoot me a message if you have the time & don't mind.

Thanks all!
    What was I going to say?

Post Thanks / Like
    im in buffalo till the 30th of april. PM me after that and you can see it any time.Steven, Im in Davie.
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, we just moved from Davie a few months ago. I really appreciate it, thank you!
    What was I going to say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the kind words, Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_S85 View Post
    Same here, I was looking at heat and air but I am seriouslly considering just A/C. It very rarely gets to freezing here in winter and if its cold I could always wear a jacket and warm clothing.

I did find an even smaller unit which is Heat and Air with vacuum controlled blend doors, which electric servo doors could be subsituted. With or without the defroster vent openings on the top of the unit the dimensions are the same. Height 8.50" x Depth 7.00" x Width 18.50". The one I just found though is a Mini ac/heat unit and its by far smaller than the smallest one I listed above.

You also have to deside if you want to run a convential climate control panel or not. Personally I am looking at rotary knobs and hide them on the side of the transmission tunnel infront of the vintage race seats I want to use. This way its out of the way and doesnt take away from the "race car" look. But if you plan on building something like a production civilian car over a race car theme then it would be easier.

Rusty,
    Who sells the mini mini unit you located? I might be interested.

The Nut

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Air conditioning yes, advice and new ideas

Quote Originally Posted by thejudge View Post
    I think the A/C is absolutely necessary if you live anywhere South of North Carolina. In my case, I am in the Dominican Republic, so ... it goes without saying.
    When installing an A/C unit you will have to face 3 issues: 1) placing the evaporator unit and modifying the firewall accordingly, 2) installing the Vintage air compressor (Sanden S7) with new brackets and 3) Installing the condenser.

1 is easy: it is just cutting, shaping and riveting a 1/16 aluminum sheet. : 2 is not that easy. I had to completely change my pulley/accessory bracket system. I used a March 30167, Beautifully expensive. 3) I decided to mount the a/c condenser in the rear, below the trunk panels: inclines just above the fuel tank. This allows a much cleaner installation and avoids lots of piping through the firewall.

Pictures..

Max
    rear condenser.jpgnew pulleys for compressor.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hay Max that condenser mount may not work. You HAVE to have air flow through the condenser or the pressure WILL build up and blow the hoses FAST.
    Chaz...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonut48 View Post
    Rusty,
    Who sells the mini mini unit you located? I might be interested.

The Nut
    I replied to your pm with who sells the mini unit, for others that are curious it was from Vintage Air and its the "Mini Space Saver System" unit, I never did find just a A/C only unit all Ive been able to find was A/C and Heat.

Quote Originally Posted by CHAZC5ZX View Post
    Hay Max that condenser mount may not work. You HAVE to have air flow through the condenser or the pressure WILL build up and blow the hoses FAST.
    Chaz...
    If he installs an electric fan on the condenser it doesnt matter where its mounted, you only really need it mounted in the front if you have mechanical fans or no fans. But with electric fans, even found in factory cars today run constantly at high speed when ever the A/C is turned on.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    yogi's has some realy cool custom vents for a/c units that are universal, to give your interior a custom look.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2001 4.6L motor. The stock A/C compressor will not work with the reversed Hooker headers supplied by FFR for the roadster. Does anyone know if the North Racecar compressor is shorter than stock and can fit in this application?