Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4x4 headers.

Post Thanks / Like

4x4 headers.

I BOUGHT MY MARKII KIT IN 2004. I CURRENTLY HAVE 25,000 ON THE CAR. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS WITH THE HEADERS CRACKING OR EVEN BREAKING THE FLANGE. I FINALLY MADE AN ALUMINUM BRACE TO SUPPORT THE HEADER BUT AFTER WELDING SEVERAL TIMES I NEED A NEW SET OF 4X4's I ALSO CHAINED THE ENGINE TO ELIMINATE ANY TORQUE ROTATION.
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE REVERSE FENDER HEADERS FROM HOOKER WILL FIT MY 93 302 SETUP?
    I WOULD ALSO CONSIDER A USED SET OF 4X4'S OR MAYBE A SET OF J PIPES. AS YOU CAN TELL I AM TIRED OF REMOVING AND REPLACING HEADERS EVERY WEEK.
    ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
    MARK

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Mark,

What kind of headers did you start out with? Do you have any pics to show the situation? I bought a MKIII kit and of course there was no complete kit at the time. Did you get your headers from FFR as an option when you bought your base kit or from another vendor? I have heard that some 4x4 headers were not built very well but the BBKs I have seem very substantial. I was going to put a header support near the interface of the header and the side pipe but now I'm not sure it is necessary from what I have gotten in feedback from the recent threads. If your headers were breaking at the flanges, that is a red flag as far as I'm concerned. One little trick that I believe helps take some of the torque off of the header/sidepipe assembly is to take one of the sidepipe support screws out and run with only one on each side. I can understand your frustration about working on the same thing week after week. That would suck seriously. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046