Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Has anyone done a battery relocation that they have pics they can share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Has anyone done a battery relocation that they have pics they can share?

I really would like to run an Optima battery since I need the CCA with an 11.5 -1 compression ratio. I would love to run a larger battery. Has anyone done this and can you PLEASE post pics. Thanks.
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be using a yellow top deep cycle battery but had thought to mount in the trunk. Havent thought it through as yet so would be interested in your replies.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used the battery recommended in the assembly manual but mounted it in the trunk for easy access if I ever need to jump start the car.

IMG_1925.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    With DC electricity, longer cables have more voltage drop and lose power. Mounting the battery as close as possible to the starter is more efficient. That would put it under the hood, if the car isn't starting, things are handier as the problem gets diagnosed.

What LSA cam is getting run? A high overlap low vacuum cam will have less cranking compression and be easier to start.

And as far as CCA is concerned, the Optima isn't the biggest. AGM "glass mat" batteries available by brand name stores can easily exceed the Optima and give you a better warranty, cheaper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some have mounted batteries above the passenger foot box or near the X brace. Mine is mounted in the rear using 2 gauge welding cable (many strands and very flexible) to deliver the current.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 68GT500MAN View Post
    Some have mounted batteries above the passenger foot box or near the X brace. Mine is mounted in the rear using 2 gauge welding cable (many strands and very flexible) to deliver the current.
    Doug
    Welding cable??? That is a novel and quite clever idea...I like the flexibility point!
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My lovely wife for Father's Day, bought me a beautiful Taylor aluminum battery box. Am mounting it behind the fuel tank, running 2 ga. accel lightning cable all the way.
    FFR HR #530

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just relocated my 800cca wet cell into the trunk using #2 welding cable have no trouble starting. The problem with the original mounting is if you need a jump you better have remote battery posts. Also if an optima or odyssey battery goes dead they are very expensive to recharge. Give me the old wet cell anyday

Post Thanks / Like
    Not quite finished but here is where mine is going...