BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear brake/coil spring interference.

Post Thanks / Like

Rear brake/coil spring interference.

After an exhaustive search on both forums I am still at a loss. My rear end is a 1994 solid axle 8.8. I have the fox length axles and brackets from Richard (North Racecars). When trying to mount the calipers the spring on the calipers hits the coil over springs, not by a little but a lot. I have read on the other forum that some people have turned the coil overs upside down and/or moved the calipers to the front side of the axle. I haven't run any brake lines yet so a caliper move is no big deal except to keep the bleed screws on top. Others have put washers between the caliper and axle brackets, but the thickness I have read is all over the map. Are there any other options I'm missing ?

Thanks in advance, Mike
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    Going to front mount is a simple cure with the added benefit of providing for easier parking brake cable routing by allowing it to make a gentle "U" rather than an "S". When changing to front mount be sure to swap over everything side for side; caliper bracket, caliper and anti-moan brackets.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, as always great info.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    It is doable with a rear mount as well. When I had my brake lines made, I asked the hydraulic guy to add a bend to the banjo fitting area of the line to allow clearance for the coil over. No issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    My problem wasn't (isn't) the brake line it is the coil spring on the caliper. But I noticed both you and Jeff have your coil overs mounted with the coil on top, shock body on the bottom. Flipping mine over may solve 90% of my problem. I just followed the instruction manual, but I have read that it doesn't matter much which way they are on.

Mike