Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Imperza or??? donor

Post Thanks / Like

Imperza or??? donor

I think I missed a thread or something. Is the 03-07 Impreza the only donor car. Or will the Legacy, or Outback work also? Sorry for the brain fart.

Post Thanks / Like
    02-07 impreza
    02-07 WRX (not sti)

Those are the only complete donors.

Other model years will have bits and pieces that work.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    02-07 impreza
    02-07 WRX (not sti)

Those are the only complete donors.

Other model years will have bits and pieces that work.
    It would be more accurate to say that any Impreza-BASED car can be a complete donor. The Outback Sport also works (but not the regular Outback, which is Legacy-based), and I'm pretty sure a Forester can be a complete donor too.
    Last edited by Silvertop; 06-07-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: added info for clarity

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Legacy is a partial donor, you'll need to source, front lower control arms, dash rear suspension for sure, I've taken one apart to be sure...
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    A '03-'08 Forester should be a complete donor. The same turbo/non turbo rules would apply like a WRX/non-WRX Impreza. The only issues MAY be the instrument cluster...I don't know if it has the exact same shape as an Impreza one...and the steering column may be slightly tweeked for the taller stance.

A '93-'01 Impreza/Outback Sport would be a 90%+ compete donor with only very small details to work out. Details such as slightly different pedal mounting holes locations, adding a few shims to the control arms, slightly different seat mounts, cable clutchs to be converted to hydraulic) and a different cluster shape. The '89-'99 Legacy/Outbacks are also in the same 90% range. All of the mentioned cars are normally aspirated with HP from 118-165. Some creativity will be required, but should be within the realm of anybody taking on the task of building your own car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    It would be more accurate to say that any Impreza-BASED car can be a complete donor.
    Except the STI is impreza based and is not a complete donor.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Except the STI is impreza based and is not a complete donor.
    That's true.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you check out the deconstruction manual, they actually are using an OBS (outback sport) though.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    If you check out the deconstruction manual, they actually are using an OBS (outback sport) though.
    Which, per PhyrraM, is really nothing more than an Impreza Wagon in two-tone paint anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys!! Sweet! The manual officially clarified the info.
    Last edited by gwader; 06-08-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    All of the mentioned cars are normally aspirated with HP from 118-165.
    *COUGH* First Gen Turbo Legacy *COUGH*

also, if you delete the thread, all that useful information is lost. with any luck, somebody else will see this thread and save us all the energy of having to say this all over again.
    Last edited by StatGSR; 06-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great news! All this information should be consolidated in some kind of sticky. If we can use a 2.5 Legacy for NA power or a Forrester XT for WRX power we could save tons of $$$! And those models are unlikely to be modded and/or thrashed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have seen a lot of modded Forester XT's

Post Thanks / Like
    One problem: Those cars are a LOT harder to come by - there just aren't as many. You might pay less, but that also means market for left-over parts is much smaller. You'll get less back. Not a bad thing; just something to consider...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    One problem: Those cars are a LOT harder to come by - there just aren't as many. You might pay less, but that also means market for left-over parts is much smaller. You'll get less back. Not a bad thing; just something to consider...
    I somewhat disagree. Yes there aren't as many cars but there are a lot of people who are eager to get good quality used parts. Just my .02

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on Copart auctions, I'd estimate the ratio of WRXs to (Legacy GTs + Forester XTs) to be around 1000:1. OK, that was a bit of a joke; 200:1 is probably more accurate. Based on that, however, "people eager to get good quality parts" most likely own WRXs. I'm no Subie expert, for sure, but after we take what we need from a Legacy GT or Forest XT, what's left that's compatible with a WRX? I'm thinking none of the body panels, lights, or glass. Rear seat? Rear diff, & center diff. Wheels (if you don't plan to use them). Not much. If you look at the list of things other's have sold, it's mostly WRX specific parts.

Now, that said. I never said, nor do I think, obtaining one of these is a bad idea. Quite the contrary! I think they are far more likely to be much better shape for the miles (accident specific stuff aside) - probably because they were adult owned and therefore taken better care of. My point was simply not to count on getting a lot back by selling parts. Still could be a good way to go; just want people to have a realistic expectation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Based on Copart auctions, I'd estimate the ratio of WRXs to (Legacy GTs + Forester XTs) to be around 1000:1. OK, that was a bit of a joke; 200:1 is probably more accurate. Based on that, however, "people eager to get good quality parts" most likely own WRXs. I'm no Subie expert, for sure, but after we take what we need from a Legacy GT or Forest XT, what's left that's compatible with a WRX? I'm thinking none of the body panels, lights, or glass. Rear seat? Rear diff, & center diff. Wheels (if you don't plan to use them). Not much. If you look at the list of things other's have sold, it's mostly WRX specific parts.

Now, that said. I never said, nor do I think, obtaining one of these is a bad idea. Quite the contrary! I think they are far more likely to be much better shape for the miles (accident specific stuff aside) - probably because they were adult owned and therefore taken better care of. My point was simply not to count on getting a lot back by selling parts. Still could be a good way to go; just want people to have a realistic expectation.
    Definitely see what you are getting at. There are however many other forums specifically for the outback, forester and Legacy turbos models. As a member of legacygt.com I know there would be interest in good parts specific to legacies from wrecked (donor) legacies. You may however be correct about not getting as much back if the parts cannot be used between different models.

As for your mention of people on here selling WRX specific parts: it makes sense that since the donors were Imprezas, that the parts sold would be sold to Impreza owners.

But back on topic: as the OP said the manual designates the specific models now, the 02-07 imprezas.

(P.S. I'm just trying to clarify my earlier point not trying to bash or start something )

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    *COUGH* First Gen Turbo Legacy *COUGH*
    Yep. I'm a first gen Legacy turbo guy. I left it off because they are pretty rare these days and I don't want to see one cut up for a donor. Too many were already parted just for the closed deck block, which is pointless in a world which has EJ255/257 blocks available.

Keep in mind that Forester XTs (turbos) had 4.44:1 diff ratios. Way too short for an 1800 pound car - IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    89-99 Legacies work,
    98-08 Foresters work,
    93-07 Impreza works,

Edited for miss information fix.
    Last edited by Ironhydroxide; 06-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    89-99 Legacies work,
    98-03 Foresters work,
    93-07 Impreza works,
    Hmmm my DD is an 03 forester, might have to ......sneek up to it with a sawzaw. LOL