Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help straightening out a mess...

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for help straightening out a mess...

I'm looking for help with some of the parts common to the Type 65 builds. The car in question has sat for a number of years (some outside! ) and is basically a new car in need of a full restoration. My customer knows nothing about the car, and I don't want to charge him to "re-invent" the wheel. I'm hoping to find a Type 65 build "guru" who might have some info I can tap.
    Thanks in advance.

Ray Kaufman
    Straightening out a hack job build on a Type 65 Coupe...HELP!

Post Thanks / Like

Help with Typy 65

Quote Originally Posted by exwestracer View Post
    I'm looking for help with some of the parts common to the Type 65 builds. The car in question has sat for a number of years (some outside! ) and is basically a new car in need of a full restoration. My customer knows nothing about the car, and I don't want to charge him to "re-invent" the wheel. I'm hoping to find a Type 65 build "guru" who might have some info I can tap.
    Thanks in advance.

Ray Kaufman
    Contact this gentleman...he finished a type 65 about a year ago. [email protected] I did a MK IV and we are both in Pitsburgh.

Dave Disque

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Mark Dougherty. He's an all around FFR guru, and probably your best bet.

John

PS He's also in PA
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    You can PM me with any questions.
    I have built three couples over the years.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I will surely be in touch with some (or all!) of you soon.

I'm sure I'll have some dumb sounding questions, but I have my reasons; and I'm pretty good at what I do. Just new to the FFR Coupe...

For starters, has anyone used locking prop supports (like on 60s Vettes) instead of the gas struts to hold the tilt hood up? The strut mounts on this car are all torn up, and neither the customer nor I like the constant pressure the struts place on the brackets when the hood is closed and latched.

Post Thanks / Like
    The struts dont exert constant pressure.They exert resistance to movement from their existing positioning. My originals didnt have enough resistance, I replaced them with stronger units. They snapped right on and work great.

The Nut

Post Thanks / Like
    Not going to belabor the point... I push in, the strut pushes back. I gotta think they are doing the same thing when the hood is latched. Just curious if anyone had used the mechanical supports.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't found any that are a direct replacement. It would be nice to find something that lock open and releases when opened a little more.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The struts for the hood aren't a problem. If you're concerned about the hood coming down, grab some PVC and cut it lengthwise. Slip it over the piston when you open the hood.

Now, the hatch struts are another matter, especially if you have the clear plexi hatch from the Gen1 Coupe. I didn't like what the struts were doing to the hatch when I tried to close it, so I bought some two piece "elbow" struts that hinge in the middle.

Keep the questions coming. There is more than one way to fix just about any problem.
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    I haven't found any that are a direct replacement. It would be nice to find something that lock open and releases when opened a little more.
    Mike
    I've been eyeballing the ones from 60s Vettes. The length is about right, but the Coupe struts are horizontal when open; and I'm not sure the mechanical ones will operate correctly in that position. PLENTY of other problems to solve on this thing in the meantime....

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for Mark Daugherty, (717) 773-5624. He travels all over the country helping out builders who are stuck plus has his own shop near Hershey. Knows these cars inside & out (and is just an all around great guy!).

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I had A problem with the lift cylinders pushing on my hood when closed, it just wouldn't stay in adjustment
    I used A set of telescopic lid supports from Reid supply made A bracket on the hood end for A heim joint with A couple of shoulder bolts from Mcmaster Carr and it works great.
    Chaz...
    ( I'm going to try to put up A couple or pics on my photobucket)
    Last edited by CHAZC5ZX; 06-08-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAZC5ZX View Post
    I had A problem with the lift cylinders pushing on my hood when closed, it just wouldn't stay in adjustment
    I used A set of telescopic lid supports from Reid supply made A bracket on the hood end for A heim joint with A couple of shoulder bolts from Mcmaster Carr and it works great.
    Chaz...
    ( I'm going to try to put up A couple or pics on my photobucket)
    Yes, please drop by with a link when you get them posted. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, CHAZ. That is exactly what I had in mind. My wife deals with Reid through her upholstery business. Would you still happen to have the P/N?

(This one? http://www.reidsupply.com/sku/ECS-1099/)
    Last edited by exwestracer; 06-09-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK ex...starting at the front. I made A replacement bracket from 3/16 steel drilled & taped for 5/16-18 the bracket need's A slight bend to the inside
    3/8 heim joint with fine thread, and 3/8 shoulder bolt with 5/16-18 thread. the angle for the heim joint fit's snugly inside the lid support to prevent rotation, front nut is welded on.
    At the rear is 1/4 insh shoulder bolt with 10-32 thread and lock nut. hope this helps.
    Chaz...http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1370793608
    lid support # ECS-1097 needs to have cam release 1099 is push button
    Last edited by CHAZC5ZX; 06-09-2013 at 11:28 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHAZC5ZX View Post
    OK ex...starting at the front. I made A replacement bracket from 3/16 steel drilled & taped for 5/16-18 the bracket need's A slight bend to the inside
    3/8 heim joint with fine thread, and 3/8 shoulder bolt with 5/16-18 thread. the angle for the heim joint fit's snugly inside the lid support to prevent rotation, front nut is welded on.
    At the rear is 1/4 insh shoulder bolt with 10-32 thread and lock nut. hope this helps.
    Chaz...http://i1321.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1370793608
    lid support # ECS-1097 needs to have cam release 1099 is push button
    Thanks, that helps a lot. I'm using 1/8" 4130 plate to make both hood and frame brackets. Since the stock gas strut is about 1 1/2" longer than the lid support anyway, I think I'll use a ball stud heim in much the same way as you did on the hood side

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys
    back from Carlisle helping the OCC sell tickets for this years raffle car.
    Wow
    what a nice car.
    Ray
    I would be happy to help in any way I can.
    just give me a ring.
    Later
    Mark D
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's just ONE example of what I'm dealing with.
    battery.jpg
    Battery is mounted under the rear panel with no access cover. Absolutely NO way to disconnect the top terminals, OR get the battery out of the car! Also, note clearance to the positive terminal (that piece of red plastic at right was laid over the post.). So, I'll be converting everything to mount on the side posts and adding an access cover in the front panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes. Personally I moved mine to the engine bay and never looked back. Not the clearest picture but you can see where I put it right behind the front "x" brace

Post Thanks / Like
    Timb, I've seen them mounted in that location, and I brought that option up to the customer. It would involve too much re-wiring at this point...

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely move the battery. The positive points are better access, shorter wiring, less voltage drop, and improves the weight bias - these cars are actually 49/51 tail heavy. What happened is when Detroit iron cars with 60/40 weight bias moved batteries to the trunk for race purposes, people expected that because the kit is "race car." and The Customer Is Always Right. So we get the battery in the back where it's wrong. Shelby mounted it on the footbox for good reasons.

As for a means of holding up a hood - including windy days - the simple prop rod that locks into a plate is a simple and sure method. No pressure when down, no locking releases to flip unlocked when the wind catches it, causing it to subsequently fall after the breeze passes. The Coupe was nothing more than a prototype GT with no street car development, the nose just went overcenter and rested on the ground. Since it was constantly attended by a team at a track, no problem. One owner at a show, no way to even go to the bathroom. It needs something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    Definitely move the battery. .

As for a means of holding up a hood - including windy days - the simple prop rod that locks into a plate is a simple and sure method. It needs something.
    You know what they say...the customer is always right. I don't think perfect weight bias is high on his priority list for this car. His budget just won't support a rip out and rewire of all main cables, given all the other stuff I have to attend to.

I'm still kicking around the idea of a prop rod, but we definitely agree we don't want to put the gas struts back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a battery box from FFMetal http://www.ffmetal.com/batteryboxpage.html

Optima battery sits low enough that the battery posts clear the aluminum floor.

Chris
    If it's too LOUD....you're too OLD!!

Build Site >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/51103049@N00/collections/

FFR#0441CP Complete Coupe kit, IRS, T-5, 392ci 351W, Webers, Delivered 4/29/09

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CJBergquist View Post
    I used a battery box from FFMetal http://www.ffmetal.com/batteryboxpage.html

Optima battery sits low enough that the battery posts clear the aluminum floor.

That's a good looking setup. Always nice when you can plan that sort of thing from the start....

Post Thanks / Like
    Today's fun and games...
    Driver's seat bracket was never finish welded, then someone else had come back and laid a bunch of bird poop on it.
    cobra seat bracket.jpg
    Cleaned all that off...
    F5 seat bracket.jpg
    I had to cut a hole in the floor to get to some of the areas that weren't welded.
    F5 floor cutout.jpg
    When I disconnected the computer to protect it, I found another little surprise.
    F5 computer harness.jpg
    Last edited by exwestracer; 06-12-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm more surprised by the rusty water in the foot box than the but connectors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tackled the hood support latch bars today. I got the ones CHAZ suggested from Reid Supply (excellent company to deal with, and ALL KINDS of cool stuff in the catalog). All was going well, I used the old bracket holes and strut length as a reference. I used 1/4" bolts with backing plates instead of the 10/32 button heads (WHY...?!?!) through the fiberglass. I went to latch the hood up and discovered the original frame end strut brackets weren't anywhere near the same locations on the left and right sides...by about 1 1/2". Oh boy, here we go again. Can't determine which one is "right" until I get the car back on the ground and see how far the hood will open before it hits the ground.

Also got the new supercharger air plumbing installed. It looks and fits much better than what was on it before. I'll post some pics tomorrow in case anyone is interested.
    Last edited by exwestracer; 06-26-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    image (3).jpeg
    At the bottom is the original supercharger plumbing. 2 3/4 to 4 to 3 1/2"... HUH?
    image (2).jpeg
    New plumbing installed
    image.jpeg
    New hood latch bars. I hadn't installed the doubler plates on the hood at this point. The hood attachment point is a 1/4" ball and socket joint (like a go-kart tie rod end). I ended up moving the frame mount on the passengers side about 1" to get the latch bars synchronized! Personally, I like this setup much better than the struts. The hood is very solid when latched up, and the latch bars don't exert any pressure on the hood when closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the dash out last night so Melissa (asylumcustominteriors.com) could upholster it, and so I could evaluate adding a battery lead to the shutoff switch. I've decided (from good advice from forum members) to move the battery up to the "X" in front of the engine.

Just when I thought it couldn't get ANY worse... Last night was "spaghetti" night in the shop. I have an epic hatred of bad wiring, and this is bad. Pictures to follow.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Always interesting listening to someones opinion of anothers work..................and their opinion of their own. Reminds me of one of Mark Twains quote about good breeding.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    riptide

That was priceless!!!
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    Always interesting listening to someones opinion of anothers work..................and their opinion of their own. Reminds me of one of Mark Twains quote about good breeding.
    No drama here... A big part of my "day job" is pointing out bad workmanship and teaching people how to do these things better. My comments also come from a genuine respect for craftsmen like Phil Remington and the rest of the guys who built the original Daytona Coupes. I respect what the Type 65 represents; and I also believe that these cars deserve better than what this one got the first time around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it looks like the worst is over on the re-wire. It took awhile, but I figured out the whole puzzle and I've eliminated all the redundant power circuits and random switches.
    wiring.jpg
    I'll be making a new (stock) dash just because it's easier than trying to cover up all the extra holes. HUGE thanks to Bill (bil1024) for sending me a "rescue" harness pigtail. The old double spliced one is at the bottom of the photo.
    harness pigtails.jpg
    The solenoid is re-located near the starter, and there are no longer any battery cables running inside the car.
    solenoid.jpg
    I also got the new battery box (Afco) mounted and added an overflow tank on the side (hard to see in the picture).
    new battery box.jpg
    The engine now has an Airaid filter instead of nothing at all, and the supercharger plumbing is sized correctly.
    air filter.jpg

Hopefully the "Stepchild" will be running again in a couple of weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting on the new dash. I made it an inch taller on the face to help cover up more of the A/C components. Since the steering shaft is not adjustable, I figured it didn't need that huge slot in the dash panel. At top left of the old dash you can see the hole for the master battery switch. I moved it to the face, and this will now be the "car key". Gauges will be moved slightly for better visibility, and I'm adding another central A/C vent for passenger comfort.
    new dash 1.jpg
    Bent using the old "edge of the frame bench" sheet metal brake...

Post Thanks / Like

Another little surprise...

Had to pull the rear panel out to chase more of the never ending wiring mess... I saw a shop rag wedged down between the fuel tank can and the body. When I went to pull it out, I discovered it was wrapped around a $2.99 fuel filter that had been cut in half and used for a tank vent.
    coupe fuel vent.jpg
    At this point I'm not even surprised. Somehow the idea of soaking a shop rag in gasoline in the event of a rollover doesn't seem all that clever...?

Post Thanks / Like

And the hits keep coming...

Finally time to bolt the seats in, and I discovered that one of the seat mount holes on the passenger's side is drilled and tapped into the main frame rail. Maybe that's common, I don't know; but I DO know what I found next isn't good. I had stuck a pencil in the hole to see if it went through, and it came out wet. That bolt hole became a major problem when the car sat outside and the seat filled with rain water...
    water in frame 1.jpgwater in frame 2.jpg

My helper drilled a hole in the bottom of the frame rail and we drained just about a gallon (really) of water out.

Post Thanks / Like
    New dash mocked up for pre-wiring.
    new dash mock up.jpg
    The long toggles on the left might not be everyone's cup of tea, but they allow the high beams and turn signals to be operated without taking a hand off the wheel. The large red button next to the oil pressure gauge is the 4 way flasher switch (lit). With a little wiring trickery it will double as a low oil pressure light.

Post Thanks / Like
    looks good

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping someone can save me from removing another panel...

Well, I thought I had the "mystery wire" figured out the other night...I was wrong. The wire in question is 12V+ hot in run (it WAS wired directly to a fuse under the dash) and runs up over the top of the fuel tank where I can't see it anymore.

It is NOT the power for the pump or the trigger power for the pump relay. I have those definitely identified. All the American Auto Wire schematics show a single wire to the fuel gauge (typical variable resistor to ground), as does the stock 5.0 Mustang schematic.

What am I missing? What the hell needs full time ignition power on top of the fuel tank???? There are other wires that go nowhere in the back of the car, and I'm removing them one by one, but I need to know what this does before I can decide whether or not to get rid of it. If I can't get this figured out, that means the fuel tank cover panel has to come out.

Getting pretty tired of drilling out rivets to chase bad wiring...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast