Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 818 Assembly Manual - Download the Donor Disassembly Section!

Post Thanks / Like
    Metalmakers. Did you happen to notice if they have a jumper harness between the subaru wires for the headlights and the toyota lights? Also I believe the headlight wire clips change between years? Also after looking around and at the wrx harness better i think the 500 you mentioned is a good deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metalmaker12, I agree :-) the aluminum panels are easy... bolting on the suspension, just a few bolts, drop in the engine and tranny etc... bolting in mechanical stuff is pretty straightforward.

The trick is cleaning up the rats nest of a harness, I bet we give it a 40% or more diet! Between removing unused wire and extending some of them it is the real challenge to keep straight. You mentioned doing them as a business... a couple sheets of plywood marked up with finish nail connector locations and wire routes should make replication pretty straightforward.

Add in "custom touches... I'll need to wire for aftermarket stereo and perhaps extra blinkers in the mirrors depending what I buy for them... LEDs ??? who knows

The deconstruction manual actually helps quite a bit and I'm finalizing bolts, nuts etc based on it... Eastwood easy wash done, media vibratory bowl next, perhaps some wire brushing... I need to prep and paint the hood and door hinges and latches... sounds like we need to do our own thing for the hood hold downs... truck latch... etc...

I'm getting excited! Can't wait for the open house in less than a week now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    They are giving us hood pins, and hatch latches, I am thinking it can be dieted down about 40 percent also, but I can not start until I get my manuel and kit. The harness business idea would be a build per order setup, you mail it we diet it the way you want, we send it back ready to plug and play. I just have to work on getting it to function flawlessly, look good and be cost effective. It is a viable option, but it is looking to be somewhat involved to get where I want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Continuing in the spirit of helpfulness, on page 8, the word in red is missing:

Engine/Exhaust parts: The 818 kit is configured to accommodate the EJ 2.0L or 2.5L engines. The
    kit comes with polished stainless steel exhaust parts to adapt to either the turbocharged WRX or
    naturally aspirated Subaru Impreza engines.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    It is not reasonable to think the complete build book will be released before June 15, if your getting the kit after that, like 95 percent of us you will have time to do what you need. The kicker and time consumer will be the harness, I have tried to get my head around it today, and have pretty much figured out what FFR has done from viewing the gocart and what just makes sense in my brain. It is really going to benefit from a reconfigure and wire diet. The thing is it is going to take some time to work on it to get it right. To me the harness will be the biggest hill to climb, the rest seems like a snap. Also the Manuel's are not complete yet, they are still revising. Heres a look at the start of the madness

Attachment 18273
    I started my own wire harness diet months ago. I know what I will use and what I won't. I am waiting for my kit to finish it. I wish there would be an aftermarket option on the harness. It is always good to start with new wiring IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be more inclined to buy a new reasonably priced wiring harness than to diet the old one. If dieting is my only reasonably priced option, however, I feel very confident I can tackle that myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I'd be more inclined to buy a new reasonably priced wiring harness than to diet the old one. If dieting is my only reasonably priced option, however, I feel very confident I can tackle that myself.
    I have a concern -- based on a general lack of personal knowledge -- that there may be enough difference from year to year and from turbo vs NA application that there may be no one custom harness that will work. That changes in ECU's, sensors and other components could sabotage any attempt to come up with a single appropriate harness. Has anyone given any thought to this?

Post Thanks / Like
    I really don't think that would be an issue. We need only a basic set of wires compared to the donor vehicles. All you would need to do is develop a harness based on the "superset" of needed wires. Any functions not present/utilized/needed are just wires that don't get used.

Post Thanks / Like
    The ECU pinouts change between models, so there would have to be a per-order build service. There's a few people who do custom harness merging for Subaru swaps, but they require you send your two harnesses.
    Chris

99 Subaru Impreza RS - 818 donor in training

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I dieted the engine bay abs and srs, now on to some accessory wires and that harness is ready to get FFR extensions for the headlights and radiator fans

Post Thanks / Like
    Did FF5 release the full build assembly manual today?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tks View Post
    Did FF5 release the full build assembly manual today?
    No, they didn't

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No Manuel yet

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    No Manuel yet
    Who's Manuel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lol I am tired plus auto correct does not like me

Post Thanks / Like
    was unable to download the disassembly manual, any suggestions., I just end up at ff website unable to locate on screen
    Last edited by D Clary; 08-15-2013 at 02:21 PM.

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that. The link has been fixed and here it is - http://bit.ly/1cQxmtb.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPREZvWRX View Post
    The ECU pinouts change between models, so there would have to be a per-order build service. There's a few people who do custom harness merging for Subaru swaps, but they require you send your two harnesses.
    i fthis is true, you would build a harness with an adapter at the EDU end. Basically a 6-12" harness that adaps the plug on thr harness to the ecu pin out. Then you would just product the small adapter for each engine, not a whole harness

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave, looks like the link doesn't work. Is the disassembly manual still available?

Thanks!

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same question^^^

Post Thanks / Like
    Jason link not working, about to take my donor apart and selling the rest, just want to make sure I keep all I can from Donor.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    you can download the entire manual for free - There's a promo code for people who have an 818 on preorder. You should have got the code in one of the last email updates.

Post Thanks / Like
    got it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12