Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternative Engine Options

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Z Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    PhyrraM~

I've seen those turbo and super coupes hit 11's, which considering what they weight is DANG impressive! That motor has crossed my list as an engine choice in my Z several times. The main thing that's every stopped me is that I just don't like the T5 much and I just haven't seen a ton of support out there for installing them in non-thunderbird application so I'd be out on my own. Definitely a neat motor though.

geoffav~

Yea, the look might not fit well depending on how it's done, but I think with zumies coming right out the middle of the hood, or a nice fat downpipe without a muffler snaking out the back. Obviously having a open hood area might not suit the look. I find many times though the "look" of an engine in a car is largely subject to what you expect to see there, and almost any engine can be done well enough to "look" OEM, rat rod, etc. On the other side of the same coin though, I can totally agree with anyone for an engine choice based simply on "look" if it's what does it for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
    PhyrraM~

I've seen those turbo and super coupes hit 11's, which considering what they weight is DANG impressive! That motor has crossed my list as an engine choice in my Z several times. The main thing that's every stopped me is that I just don't like the T5 much and I just haven't seen a ton of support out there for installing them in non-thunderbird application so I'd be out on my own. Definitely a neat motor though.
    Actually, according to Ford, the T5 wasn't up to the challenge of 315ft/lbs in a 3700+ car. IIRC, the 5.0 in those years was rated for 'only' 300 ft/lbs. The Supercoupes ditched the Mustang T5 and used a M5R2. It's basically a rear-shift version of an F150 transmission. It shifts like a (pretty good) truck trans too. But other than the scyncros, it's stout. However, anything that bolts to a 5.0/302/351W will work with that V6.

The 4 banger TurboCoupe is another animal entirely, but it has tons of potential too. T5 bellhousings are available for it, so any trans that uses a T5 bellhousing should be good.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a '32 w/ a Z drivetrain including the IRS.

Z Nut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    Here's a '32 w/ a Z drivetrain including the IRS.

That's impressive. The VG30DETT is one wide beast. Few even attempt putting them into the older S30 Z cars (240z, 260z, 280z) because they're so wide. And big blocks in those engine bays look roomy!