BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Is there an 2wd conversion kit for the auto trans?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there an 2wd conversion kit for the auto trans?

If this question was answered before I appoligize. I have a possiblity of picking up a 2006 92X wagon cheap. It is an auto. It was hit in the rear but only needs a few items for a donor car. I don't know if the auto could be used? I know FFR kit won't address this. I was hoping the aftermarket may have a kit. I think there might be some that would want an auto trans. Not my personal choice but I relize the option for some. Any help from someone that has seen this conversion is welcome. I can fiquire out the rest. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR material doesn't specifically state the donor must be a manual, does it? It didn't previously. Something MUST be available, even if you have to source it yourself.

On another note, the 5-speed is not very expensive, so you could just pick one up and go from there...

Post Thanks / Like
    If I recall correctly, there is [was] a fuse to pull to run an auto Impreza as FWD. it might be easier than you think!
    Chris

99 Subaru Impreza RS - 818 donor in training

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard the fuse is a short term thing that shouldn't be used permanently, for towing or other limp home situations. Here's a discussion I found: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/...e-center-diff/
    They didn't seem to definitively answer any questions, but rather add to the discussion here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a more local link: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/archi...hp/t-8377.html

Happy reading. Seems we have a few knowledgable guys lurking around here.

Post Thanks / Like
    the auto trans has a clutch pack at the center differential to control the torque split (60:40 to 50:50) The FWD Fuse in essence Releases all pressure on the clutch pack allowing the differential to take up the wheel speed differences without damage (the FWD fuse was ONLY if you had a spare on one wheel)

in theory you could take and custom machine a plate that locks that cluch pack drum and spindle together. then seal off the rear of the transmission.

though, one thing to consider is NOBODY (except the SVX guys) has been able to crack the 4EAT codes, and therefore shift patterns/rpm/etc. are not programable. and the Transmission will likely complain that you have locked the center diff, thowing a dutyC solenoid error.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the car is cheap enough to leave you budget room to source a used 5 speed, go for it. A working used trans will probably run $500-$1500.

PhyrraM probably knows something on this one, maybe he'll chime in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also I've heard the saab uses canbus system. If it does swapping the engine in may be a pain due to security and the ecu looking for specific codes and modules.

Post Thanks / Like
    This website, (which I've never used before) doesn't list the 92x as having Canbus. I would expect it to be OBD-II since that's what the 2006 WRX used. I'm sure there's a definite answer out there somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    For clarity's sake, CANBUS and OBD are different things. OBD is a standard for onboard diagnostics communication, covering the physical connector and various communication protocols. CANBUS is (more or less) a vehicle wiring standard.

To understand how CANBUS is different, imagine the following. Prior to CANBUS, each component had wires connecting it directly to any other components to which it needed to communicate. CANBUS is more like a computer network, where each component is connected to the network and they talk to one another over that network. Components ignore communication not intended for them, just like your computer ignores information on the network not intended for it. This approach simplifies wiring greatly, reducing cost (and weight!). Unfortunately for us, this also allowed the OEMs to make the components much smarter, hence the trouble we have dealing with vehicles that use CANBUS.

So, whether or not a vehicle uses a CANBUS wiring system has nothing to do the OBD-II port (except that the port will have the pins to support the CANBUS specific protocol).

NOT trying to be an @$$ or anything, just want to make sure as we discuss this we all understand each other!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going to look at the car today. If I can get it cheap enough I may part it out after getting the missing items I need. It has 114K but the owner has great service records and a long list of new parts in the last year. Maybe I can sell the trans and other items. I may keep the engine for a spare or sell it down the road. Thanks to all for the info. I appreciate it very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Subaru 4 speed automatic transmissions are little changed since the early 1990s. There are factory 2WD/FWD 4 speed automatics out there to be found in models older than 1996. They will bolt to a newer WRX motor with little effort. What is unknown at this point is how to integrate the pre-1996 electronic controls into the newer WRX engine controls.

If your building a non-turbo 818, then basing your drivetrain off of a factory FWD Subaru might be advantage.

Another option might be to update an older FWD transmission with newer electronics that work with the 2002+ WRX motors, but then you may have to deal with the missing clutch-pack and a possible error code as mentioned above. It may be as simple as adapting in the older transmission ECU to the WRX harness - depending on how 'married' they are on the newer cars. On the older cars it wouldn't be a problem.

Another lead worth investigating is that in non-North American markets Subaru continued to sell FWD models. There may very well be a FWD transmission and electronic control combination that works with the newer motors out of the box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    For clarity's sake, CANBUS and OBD are different things. OBD is a standard for onboard diagnostics communication, covering the physical connector and various communication protocols. CANBUS is (more or less) a vehicle wiring standard.
    Thanks for clarifying. I haven't had to deal with canbus yet and haven't bothered to read anything on it. I thought it replaced OBD-II.

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at the 92X 2006 today. The car hit a gaurdrail in the rear. The entire rear suspension is toast. The engine runs great and the owner took very good care of the car. he wanted 2.5K for the car minus the seats and door panels. It was not worth that much to me with the trans issues for a donor. Its on craigslist, jacksonville, fl. under subaru parts if anyone is interested. PM me for more details if you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so it didn't get lost in translation.....

All "proper" or "supported" donors are NOT CANBUS. CANBUS only comes into play if your trying to use a motor/drivetrain newer than the official '02-'07 WRX/Impreza/Outback Sport/Saab 9-2x.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    Also I've heard the saab uses canbus system. If it does swapping the engine in may be a pain due to security and the ecu looking for specific codes and modules.
    So, i went searching. the SAAB 9-2x and aero models do NOT use the Canbus system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Given they seem to be basically WRX rebodies, that's not surprising. Still, it's nice to have that suspicion confirmed.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2006 92X I looked at was just a rebadged wrx wagon. Grill, wheels and trim differant. The rest all subie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but The Saabaru has other little changes too. It came with the STI steering rack. 06-07 WRX also got the STI rack as well if I remember correctly. Different springs too, but that doesn't matter for our purposes