Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: And it begins..."The Flash" Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    to be honest I am kind of bummed out over this thread. I decided to hold out and was looking at building a cobra because I wasn't 100 percent sold on the looks. I think the problem I had at SEMA was it was red and thats my least favorite color. After look at your photos Erick i am kicking myself. I let a few donors go and now will have to wait over a year to have one built. I do agree that the wheels look awesome on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy sh*t does the rake of the windshield look amazing!
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think the final completed build will have the windshield raked that much.

If you look at the pictures from the open house, it isn't anywhere near that raked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blueoval_bowtie_guy View Post
    Holy sh*t does the rake of the windshield look amazing!
    Yea I am keen to understand why the rake is so extreme on this build??? is it just a test fitting where the angle is very adjustable? to be honest it looks wrong that low.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    What size tires did you go with. And I guess there's no clearance issues as it sits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the updates Erik; I knew it would take shape quickly!

You know, it's interesting to see components and practices that we are familiar with from the other FFR products being incorporated here as well (fabricated spindle adapters, UCAs, etc.).

Carry on

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayT View Post
    What kind of radiator is that?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNA-Dual-Cor...a9d6d5&vxp=mtr
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    What size/offset on the rear? Tires sizes F&R?

Thanks for being our guinea pig!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, yeah the FFR theme to the build it there and you get into that familiar rhythm of where ad how it goes together...nice and simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    Yea I am keen to understand why the rake is so extreme on this build??? is it just a test fitting where the angle is very adjustable? to be honest it looks wrong that low.
    You guys need to take a breath, seriously, I threw it all together so you could see it as a roller...only 2 of the 4 bolts holding the windshield actually have nuts on them and other 2 are just placed in there to keep the windshield from falling down... I needed the space in the garage and I was worried about breaking it since I am working kinda fast..so I figured the safest place for it was on the car. It's almost 7 am and I could be putting the motor in right now, but instead I am putting this fire out, I mean it's the 4th day of the build and only about 20 hours of actual build time....let me get through it and keep the "fire starting" to a minimum...PLEASE, else I will have to stop posting picture until I am done! ...lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    What size tires did you go with. And I guess there's no clearance issues as it sits?
    Bad guess... I have issues in the front and the back... BUT I am outside the box in what I am running so posting sizes is not what I am interested in doing right now until I resolve the issues...which are minor in my eyes...but to keep the fire starting to a minimum...let me figure it out first...The one thing I will say is that I am NOT following the size recommendations front or rear...so if you stay to what has been posted by Wayne from the testing thread and what we have from the open house, you will be fine...I am going for a specific look and like to understand the limits of the design.
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 06-28-2013 at 07:16 AM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok..off the soap box...

As the 5th day opens, we plan to have the motor in today... and for now it will be just laying in the motor mounts... I need to understand where it sits so I put the stand alone electrical and fuel injection system in , and some of the modifications I am doing as well (you'll have to wait for those...) once the motor is in ...going to start looking at the doors probably, but the big items will be hung in position...I need to figure out what I am going to do with the dash....I feel like I need some custom touches there...we'll see...mainly just want to get it together and get database started... working real close with Factory Five and Wayne...things are looking good for the rest of you!

stay tuned.....we'll get there...the car IS really cool and put together VERY well...fun to work on is an understatement!

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    Bad guess... I have issues in the front and the back... BUT I am outside the box in what I am running so posting sizes is not what I am interested in doing right now until I resolve the issues...which are minor in my eyes...but to keep the fire starting to a minimum...let me figure it out first...The one thing I will say is that I am NOT following the size recommendations front or rear...so if you stay to what has been post by Wayne from the testing thread and what we have from the open house, you will be fine...I am going for a specific look and like to understand the limits of the design.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ar...7716/overview/
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    yeah... was hoping to not tear that all down again...but might have to.... the other option is Eibach make some nice adapters that will probably work as well..

similar to these....

http://www.monstermarketplace.com/sc...cion-fr-s-2013

but I have like 3/8-1/2 clearance with the spacers I have in there now...I am going to remove some of the spacers and see how much it tucks the tire...the profile is about perfect right now for me.... more to follow...this are is not done for sure.
    Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 06-28-2013 at 07:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's almost unreal as to how quickly you're progressing through the build. Outstanding!

For me those wheels are the perfect match.

Small Request..... Can you get a picture (same angle) with the camera around the height, or just below the top, of the windshield? Pictures almost never do a vehicle justice, but pictures from that height reference usually help. Thanks.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    next time I have it outside...it is in the garage with all the panels off of it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    it's the 4th day of the build and only about 20 hours of actual build time....
    Well, geez...what's taking you so long?

Are there any tips that you use to improve build speed without sacrificing quality? I've found in my projects, I start out good, but as I progress, I slowly stop putting tools away all the time and eventually I end up spending an hour just picking up because I can't find any of my tools anymore.

Bad guess... I have issues in the front and the back... BUT I am outside the box in what I am running so posting sizes is not what I am interested in doing right now until I resolve the issues...which are minor in my eyes...but to keep the fire starting to a minimum...let me figure it out first...The one thing I will say is that I am NOT following the size recommendations front or rear...so if you stay to what has been posted by Wayne from the testing thread and what we have from the open house, you will be fine...I am going for a specific look and like to understand the limits of the design.
    I'll be watching/waiting for this. All of my wheels are currently 18x9.5, so I'm likely to have problems. I'm holding off on buying news one quite yet until I can see what happens. I figure, worst case, I'll have a month where I'm waiting for the DMV to send me plates and what not where I can fiddle with wheels.

stay tuned.....we'll get there...the car IS really cool and put together VERY well...fun to work on is an understatement!
    So you're saying that, like legos as a kid, I might just want to build it, look at it for a few days, then take it apart just so I can build it again? :lol:
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job on the fast progress and good selection of wheels. Appearance wise they fit the car very well.

It doesn't look like the S version will allow the use of harnesses because of how low the straight bar is across the back of the seats. Wonder if FFR would do somekind of middle ground rollbar. Meaning I want to run harnesses in the car but don't want the full cage because it will still see street time.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik lookin good just as i expected ,those wheels look so right..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not to shabby, lol, like those wheels on the car, nice work man

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    It doesn't look like the S version will allow the use of harnesses because of how low the straight bar is across the back of the seats. Wonder if FFR would do somekind of middle ground rollbar. Meaning I want to run harnesses in the car but don't want the full cage because it will still see street time.
    The rollbar on the R is higher, but from all the photos I've seen, the square frame crossmember to which you would attach a harness is the same on both R and S. The R has a low Kirkey seat, and perhaps Eric's seats are a bit higher which is throwing off your perspective. I'm sure Eric's seat position isn't final yet, and I doubt adding harneses to the S will be a problem. If your seat is too high for a harness, an add-on harness bar (as is often used in sedans) should work.

P.S. It's looking great, and I thought the extra windshield rake looked mean!

Post Thanks / Like
    we totally just threw them in the hole for the pic.,,they feel super comfortable for the 3 mins I sat in them... I really need to make sure they really do fit, but I think they look pretty good regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I'm sure Eric's seat position isn't final yet,
    As per Eric himself, you are correct. I'm interested in seeing what it takes to mount the seats, or if he got WRX specific adapters/brackets.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    perhaps Eric's seats are a bit higher which is throwing off your perspective.
    Looking at the photos again, I think the issue is the harness slots in the seats Eric has are way higher than most... Wookie seats!

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right, compared to Eric and Blake the harness slots are really high. Good eye on that detail.

How tall are you guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    The engine is in

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The engine is in
    Good work bro, post em. I am getting excited for you and I can not wait to get my kit July 20th

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so what, 2 weeks and the car will be built and ready to drive every day?
    So much for the 250h estimated to build the kit! An expert does that in 50h. lolll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    They were probably saying 250hours for someone like me who will spend half of that time just making sure the parts are going on/in the correct way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think the 250 includes the tear down and build. I plan on having my 818 done just a fast. Erik is doing a great job, Erik how many hours you at now
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 06-28-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bnr32jason View Post
    They were probably saying 250hours for someone like me who will spend half of that time just making sure the parts are going on/in the correct way.
    lol you will be fine, it is really not that complex, the teardown and restoration of parts are at the same skill set level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or half of the time looking for your tools. lolll
    Who mentioned that again, I can't recall.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    First order of business was to swap out injectors for the new turbo and then add some VeryCoolParts crank trigger for the stand alone EFI

new turbo...

after that picked up the motor and got it into position... I could not get enough leverage to pull the nut off the back of the tranny, although I proved in fact my LSD is working...lol... so I had some extra inner CV's and some bent control arms and welded up some breaker bars to hold both sides of the LSD using the frame as my back stop.

Pushed the engine all the way in until it touched the timing cover...it is a hit, drop down, push forward, drop down...repeat exercise from this point...

then it hits the oil fill tube...so take that off FIRST!

then the engine hoist hits the frame... I installed the floor jack under the car and added some lift to the back of the car to get the engine in some more.

Then the degas tank hits..so you can take all the bolts off and leave the hoses connected, you will just have to hold it back out of the way...

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 06-28-2013 at 09:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the engine now in and my "breaker bars" resting on the frame, I now have enough leverage to break loose the nut

THis is what you take out...

engine installed

Exhaust , initial thoughts of potential lower exit...we'll see...

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 06-28-2013 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Erik, I noticed you left the headers on for the install, i would think without them would be easier, but you did it so it can be done, nice work. Also the rear lower links look to be using donor bolts, they are not provided with the kit? I thought we just need spindle to shock hardware?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like aftermarket downpipes might work without the adapter (at least non catted ones). The oil tube pic didn't show. I'm trying to make a custom one so I'm interested in seeing that.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Pic shows fine on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Erik, I noticed you left the headers on for the install, i would think without them would be easier, but you did it so it can be done, nice work. Also the rear lower links look to be using donor bolts, they are not provided with the kit? I thought we just need spindle to shock hardware?
    from the factory five website...the initial list of stuff you need...

Rear lower control arms, toe links, and CV joints

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Pic shows fine on my computer.

from the factory five website...the initial list of stuff you need.

Rear lower control arms, toe links, and CV joints
    A daaaaa lol guess I missed that, I have them anyway thanks. My set are worn, think I will pic up new ones

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik, I've been following this thread since the open house even though I'm not building an 818. Congratulations on getting the engine in! Thanks for sharing your build pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    My roadster's not even finished and I'm drooling over this car. Freaking awesome.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. That will be me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    The body work side of things is where all of the time is going to be saved.

Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast