Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New guy with a few questions on donors and "33"

Post Thanks / Like

New guy with a few questions on donors and "33"

Hello guys,

Been searching on here and other forum for awhile still. Got a few questions on donor cars? I know the classic donor is an 87-93 mustang. been looking at a 95 with 302 EFI/AOD and 8.8 rear with disk brakes for $1100. Im going to clean up/inspect parts as I go. I would like to go classic and go carb with the motor. Is that a big undertaking or simple to do?..Ive used search engine and came up with limited info on this. Going to build this with my sons so eventually this will be their car.(not too soon though)

Thanks guys in advance. I know ill have a lot more questions as I go. I do plan on going to the build school later this year or beginning next year.

Duane

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did a 93 Stang and converted to carb. Very easy I bought a carb/intake kit from Summit. See wallace18 build thread for pictures. Best of luck with your 33 build. Having the rear with discs already puts you ahead in the game. Is it 5 or 4 lug?

Post Thanks / Like
    its a 5 lug. wanted to get the right gears too....i believe its a 3.73...hopefully this will work and ill have something to clean and take apart while the kids and I save and plan

duane

Post Thanks / Like
    The 95 should work fine. Rear axle is about 1" longer per side but you can make that difference up in the wheel backspacing. Also the bellhousing and transmission input shaft are longer. That will move your shifter back an inch or 2. Front accessories are different but will all work. If you go with the auto trans it is an AODE not an AOD. You will need electronics to control it.

Really you don't need a donor car. You need a rear end with brakes, engine and transmission. All other parts come in the kit. If you buy the 95 the front spindles and brakes can be used for a roadster or coupe so you could sell them to recover some money.

And if you source these parts separately you can get them from many different cars. 302 from explorer had better heads and intake manifold can be sold to any mustang guy as they flow better. Fox body rear end, SN95 or Tbird turbo coupe will work, then an AOD if going auto or T5 is manual. should be able to pick and choose your parts and be under your 1100 and not have to take the car apart

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    The input shaft on the SN95 (94-95) is 5/8" longer, but will make no difference in the driveshaft fit when using an 8.8 rear end. Check your bell housing for cracks - mine was. I used a 94 donor T-5, but got a Fox body rear end and 5 lug axles. I agree about not needing a donor, even if using a base kit (I used a base kit and a donor, but didn't use a lot of the Mustang parts). I bought a short block 306 from an engine builder (Cleveland Performance) cheaper than I could have had the donor SB gone through by a machine shop (gotta check for cracks, etc.). Have to agree with stack. Even if not going with complete kit, you can source used parts easily. And not have to go to the trouble of tearing down a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can get the whole car for $1100 I would go for it. You can sell any parts you do not use and be money ahead (that is what I did).
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like the donor car I wanted got sold before I could get there. Might be a blessing?? Going to look at getting parts one at a time now. Might make the wife happier now that garage isnt going to get taken over so soon.

thanks guys