Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Schooling" the #28 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

"Schooling" the #28 Coupe

Spent the day with a great group of Kindergarten students (and their awesome teachers) at one of our elementary schools last week. We were invited to share our race car as part of their unit on wheels and things that go 'round....;.) Thanks to all the students in Mr. Thompson, Ms. Denz, Ms. Perez-Anderson and Ms. Becktell's classes for making us feel so welcome!

We fired the car up at recess time (we were in the parking lot and the kids were on the playground safely behind a fence), and there was a collective roar from 950+ kids shouting with glee and jumping up and down as the engine came to life.....Ahhh....It's great to be a kid!!!

(Could be off topic, but decided to post here)
    Last edited by vnmsss; 03-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Not off topic at all Karen. Very cool to share with the kids and help the next generation appreciate the cars the way we do.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Way too cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,

Way to go!! Like you, I hope I never "grow up!" Thanks for bringing smiles to all those kids' faces.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Start them early is what I say! :-) Sounds like a great day Karen.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I thought it was only us big kids that you taught how to drive. As always Karen, you never cease to amaze me. Great job.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is soooooo cool!! I am so glad to know there are schools out there still welcoming "fun" and WAY COOL stuff! I bet the looks on the kids' faces were priceless when the car started up. This Coupe has endured many adventures so far and I can't wait to see the development and outcome this year! Go #28 and Team Thunder Valley Racing!

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There are very few people in the Factory Five Community who don't know Karen. This is typical of her and another example of why she is quite simply one of the most loved here! A great driver and racer, a great friend, a positive, ever-smiling example of the kind of person we all want to be like! AWESOME job Karen... Those are the things kids remember forever and with luck maybe years from now that little girl in the crowd will be running full speed, racing thru the darkness in the early hours of 25 hrs Thunderhill, like you were doing last November, or maybe applying that love and passion that was kindled at an early age, to helping the American car industry lead the world!

last thing... What a country we live in where teachers are doing such events! Totally STOKED!
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 03-13-2011 at 07:08 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    There are very few people in the Factory Five Community who don't know Karen. This is typical of her and another example of why she is quite simply one of the most loved here! A great driver and racer, a great friend, a positive, ever-smiling example of the kind of person we all want to be like! AWESOME job Karen... Those are the things kids remember forever and with luck maybe years from now that little girl in the crowd will be running full speed, racing thru the darkness in the early hours of 25 hrs Thunderhill, like you were doing last November, or maybe applying that love and passion that was kindled at an early age, to helping the American car industry lead the world!

last thing... What a country we live in where teachers are doing such events! Totally STOKED!
    Amen that that!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say Karen that I am PROUD to be able to call both You and Andy dear friends. As I read your post I started to reminisce about my own childhood and remember having both the local fire engine company along with the local police visit my elementary school in, I think, the 3rd grade. Those memories flooded back just now and I do remember the impact the fire engine and the police cars made on me at that young age. The funny thing is I still remember the faces of the firemen and policemen that presented them. So just know, those kids will not just remember the car that you brought and exposed to them but the personality and animation that you yourself presented it with. You are probably the Coolest Teacher I know. Job well done. Frank
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    After reading Dave Smith's and frankeeski's comments about the impact our cars have on kids in general and Karen's coupe in particular, I offer the attached photo. To me, this pic captures the wonder and excitement our cars can inspire in a young person. I see the anticipation and pleasure on this young girl's face every time I start my roadster, and it only gets better. I am actively passing this mystique on to my grand children. Thanks Karen for giving us a focus.

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...1/IMG_4504.jpg

By the way, the young lady in the photo is sitting behind the wheel of Karen's #28 Challenge car.
    Last edited by John Tongish; 03-14-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly not trying to steal any of Karen's thunder (awesome job too BTW!) but wanted to post. I've brought our Roadster to the Great American Teach In last couple of years and left quite an impression on the little ones as well. They see cars like these and when you add in the "stay in school" and "be a good person" and you too can own something like this one day it really hits home with them how important an education is.

Once again, great job Karen, and remember, these kids will take care of us old farts some day! LOL

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave, Mark, Frank, John, Garry, and everyone.....Your kindness is truly humbling.....As Mark and John's photos and everyone's great posts reveal, there are many, many giving people within our community, with countless untold acts of kindness happening every day. As an educator, it's been my life's work to help young people find and follow their dreams, and the good folks I've met through these forums truly live the "paying it forward" mantra every day. Big kudos to everyone that invests themselves in our children's future, and special thanks to everyone that provides advice and support to our fellow "car guys" who are building their dreams. It's an honor to share this great site with all of you.

Karen
    "Serpents in the Garden,".... Descanso Gardens, LaCanada, CA....June 2009
    Brought to you as the brainchild of forum members John Tongish and Dan Ziol, and made possible by so many of our generous fellow members here:
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthr...erpents+garden
    Last edited by vnmsss; 03-15-2011 at 12:39 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    I have to say Karen that I am PROUD to be able to call both You and Andy dear friends. As I read your post I started to reminisce about my own childhood and remember having both the local fire engine company along with the local police visit my elementary school in, I think, the 3rd grade. Those memories flooded back just now and I do remember the impact the fire engine and the police cars made on me at that young age. The funny thing is I still remember the faces of the firemen and policemen that presented them. So just know, those kids will not just remember the car that you brought and exposed to them but the personality and animation that you yourself presented it with. You are probably the Coolest Teacher I know. Job well done. Frank
    Lol, I wish I had a FFR come to my school when I was a kid, heck I would have taken the fire truck. We got a big green John Deere, well I guess that's what happens when you live in farm land.

Imagine how many parents were upset they didn't drop off lunch or pick their kids up from school that day, I'm sure there were some jealous parents when they ask what there kids did in school that day.

Great job totally awesome.