Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Started our new build yesterday!!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Final inspection done and we passed!!

We had our final building inspection Monday. He found two very minor issues (a GFI outlet wired wrong and we didn't have a back-flow valve on the hose bib.) 5-minutes to correct both and the Inspector passed us on Tuesday.

Here are some shots of the new lights on the south and west walls. We also got a call from the concrete contractor this afternoon. He finished a job early and can start our driveway/parking pad tomorrow instead of the 19th! 2-weeks early....I'll be able to drive on it and get the Roadster in it's new home by the end of August.

We moved all the holiday decorations etc. from the old 1-car garage to the storage area above the french-doors (8x8x5) lots of left over room up there, enough for a new engine maybe?

Ray
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ray; 08-08-2013 at 09:15 AM.
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new home for your roadster and the Xmas decorations (bigger issue for some). Can't wait for pics with the roadster in it's new home and all the tools set up. Good luck, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Driveway and parking pad got started Thursday....

Driveway-02.JPGDriveway-01.JPG

Should have it formed with re-bar on Monday-Tuesday and poured Wednesday. Then, it's waiting, trying to be patient, for it to cure enough to drive on.

Ray

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Want me to get the steaks ready for the "Garage Warming" party?
    U.S. NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC (RETIRED)

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Driveway update

Things got pushed back about 24-hours. Re-bar gets installed today (Wed) with concrete being poured Thursday.

Driveway-03.JPGDriveway-04.JPGDriveway-05.JPG

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Re-bar in the driveway? Up here they just roll out 2x4 wire mesh (on stand-offs) and pour the concrete. Your house will move before the shop and driveway ever do!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Driveway got poured!!!!

Truck and crew showed up right on time. 2 full trucks (20-yards) later we had a driveway and parking pad. 24-hrs later they returned to power wash the top-cast treatment off the cement and we had a finished driveway and pad. Wait 2-weeks to drive on it, 4-weeks to seal it but I can finally fully move in by the end of September.Driveway-21.JPGDriveway-20.JPGDriveway-19.JPGDriveway-18.JPGDriveway-12.JPGDriveway-11.JPGDriveway-10.JPG

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE!!!!! When is the Garage warming going to be? Name the cut of steak that you want.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Interior wall goes up...

McEdward2.jpgWe got the interior wall up, the hardware for the sliding barn door as well as the door bought. About the time I can drive on the concrete, we'll also be running all the electrical for the garage. Here is an idea we had for the kitchen area...

Ray

Inside wall.JPG
    Last edited by Ray; 08-18-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the drama, where's the excitement? It's good to hear a build go as planned without setbacks and problems. I know there was a song and dance done during permitting but you got it done. Love it.
    Tim.

Knowledge is good-Faber.

I'm so broke I can hardly pay attention-Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go on the new home for the Roadster! I am jealous-- completely jealous!! I wish I had as fine a space to build in!!

Good luck finishing things up, and getting the build started! Also, I hope the "wetting down" of the build is a grand event...

Regards,

Steve

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Other than some needed maintenance on the Roadster I don't have any FFR projects on the books (yet.) However, my wife has a car project for me to get started on....http://www.thunderranch.com/356.html. Once the garage is wired and finished, her car project gets off the ground.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray-

Looks like a fun project! I really like those old Porsches.

You know though, that you could have some major "maintenance" to do on your Roadster that could keep you tied up for a while. ;-o)

I am still totally envious of your garage. Since my wife gave me the green light on the Roadster project, she would short circuit if I asked her to let me build a garage! Thanks for keeping us updated on your project-- it is really great!

Regards,

Steve

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    WIS89,

One of the cities that we looked at when deciding where to retire was Chapel Hill. This garage has been in the "design-dream" stage for about 15-years. I'll the thread updated as more progress is made.

Thanks for the comments.

Ray

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimC View Post
    Where's the drama, where's the excitement? It's good to hear a build go as planned without setbacks and problems. I know there was a song and dance done during permitting but you got it done. Love it.
    Oh we had surprises.... Planned on a 2.5-ft deep excavation that went to 4-ft and $13K over budget (just on the excavation/fill/compaction.) But that was about the only thing (once we got through the City process.)

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

GETTING HUNGRY!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    U cooking? Lol
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    U cooking? Lol
    When Ray says to fire up the grill...... maybe. See other posts of mine in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ray wtf??? What's the holdup man?!?
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    Ray wtf??? What's the holdup man?!?
    MAN...would you guys at least let me wait until PAYDAY!!!! Lets see....retired....paid once a month....besides, I only have a little 12x14 charcoal grill. Probably have to bring in sandwiches etc. Also, I can't even use the driveway until this weekend.

Ray

PS: It's being planned...
    Last edited by Ray; 10-05-2013 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    MAN...would you guys at least let me wait until PAYDAY!!!! Lets see....retired....paid once a month....besides, I only have a little 12x14 charcoal grill. Probably have to bring in sandwiches etc. Also, I can't even us the driveway until this weekend.

Ray

PS: It's being planned...
    DERN RIGHT it's being planned. When the driveway is good, let us know. Please give me a weeks heads up.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    DSCN0916.JPGDSCN0917.JPGDSCN0919.JPG

Not much to report other than getting the deck done outside the french-doors.

Ray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12