Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BKafe's Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

BKafe's Build Thread

Thought it is time to kick off my build thread and contribute back to the community.

Donor: CoPart 2003 WRX, 130K...ran and was drivable off the car carrier. Winning bid $2550 + fees and delivery = $3926.20

Today I completed the disassembly, which took approx 20 hours. While I have done some basic auto work in the past, this is my first major project. I have never restored a vehicle, pulled an engine, or built a kit car before this project. My friends who have done this type of work assisted with the Engine/Tranny pull.

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0090009/ph...7634268393475/

Next Steps:
    Preform Inventory
    Scrap the carcass
    Prep Donor Parts
    Identify replacement part for damaged donor parts
    Receive 818 Kit (~July 30)

I got my call from Tony at Factory Five this past Friday, and was advised my kit should be ready Sat July 20. I added the powder coat, front splitter, rocker panel and rear diffuser carbon bits.

More to come...Lots more...

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome, not bad for a rookie, the fun will begin soon, good luck man

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds wonderful... I like that it is 10 days early!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job! Continue the nice work and keep us posted!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Bkafe - what specifically do you mean by "basic auto work" in the past? I may be in the same boat as you in terms of experience and am interested in what your strategy is for building this as a "rookie".

Post Thanks / Like
    My original date was July 20th, wonder if its going to get moved up. No phone call yet. :anxious:
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    The when are you getting your 818 shows his date as July 6...

818-S
    Erik W. Treves-----------------------June 15, 2013
    Guns---------------------------------June 22, 2013--------------------Columbia, SC
    Timmy318----------------------------June 22, 2013--------------------Owensboro, KY
    BKafe--------------------------------July 6,2013-----------------------Phoenix, AZ
    Mechie3-----------------------------July 20, 2013----------------------Indianapolis, IN
    Wild Olive---------------------------July 6, 2013------------------------Indianapolis, IN
    Wallace18--------------------------- August,3, 2013-------------------Alachua, Florida
    RM1Sepex ---------------------------August 10, 2013 -----------------Freeport, Maine
    Metalmaker12------------------------August 17, 2013------------------Exeter, R.I
    bbatts
    ehuwe-------------------------------Early August, 2013----------------Los Angeles, CA
    AZPete------------------------------August 10, 2013-------------------Scottsdale, AZ
    cmcintyre---------------------------Aug 31, 2013------------------------Danbury, CT

Post Thanks / Like
    Tks- installed brakes and coilovers on an E36.

Mechie - RM1SepEx is unfortunately correct... My kit will be ready about 2 weeks behind schedule; hopefully a temporary as the ramp up production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small world.. I see the 2012 Thunder In The Valley shirt. That is basically my hometown... The Rally was this past week.. I will make it home for one at some point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer-Dan View Post
    Small world.. I see the 2012 Thunder In The Valley shirt. That is basically my hometown... The Rally was this past week.. I will make it home for one at some point.
    That's my friend Erick, from PA. He flew out to AZ; we did a motorcycle ride to Jerome and a WRX engine/tranny pull...was a good weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bkafe View Post
    Tks- installed brakes and coilovers on an E36.

Mechie - RM1SepEx is unfortunately correct... My kit will be ready about 2 weeks behind schedule; hopefully a temporary as the ramp up production.
    Oh, I see. I read the ~ July30th and then the July 20th and assumed they moved you up 10 days.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn, Jerome AZ what a road!!!! AWESOME!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Oh, I see. I read the ~ July30th and then the July 20th and assumed they moved you up 10 days.
    so did I... then I went to the old thread to seen where he was on the list, to see who might update us next!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Aug 17th is my date, I paid and I am picking it up then, hopefully sooner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, you'll be 2-3 weeks ahead of me. My ship date is Aug 10 and I got a call from Jason @ FFR on Friday. Raised my deposit from the initial $99 to $1,000 with balance due close to shipping. He said 8/10 is still the ship date and then Stewart will bring it to AZ so I'm guessing 8/17-20 to me. Oh no, that's 59 days!
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Brian, you'll be 2-3 weeks ahead of me. My ship date is Aug 10 and I got a call from Jason @ FFR on Friday. Raised my deposit from the initial $99 to $1,000 with balance due close to shipping. He said 8/10 is still the ship date and then Stewart will bring it to AZ so I'm guessing 8/17-20 to me. Oh no, that's 59 days!
    Pete
    That's great to hear! It good to know there is another 818 being built right down the street.

Post Thanks / Like
    My date is also August 10... not a peep yet :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian, I'll PM my contact info to you because we may be able to help each other since we're both pioneers with the 818 in AZ. (Wah, wah, I'm not the first! ) If you want 4 WRX wheels & tires let me know. They are snow tires which are very hard to find around here.
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Brian, I'll PM my contact info to you because we may be able to help each other since we're both pioneers with the 818 in AZ. (Wah, wah, I'm not the first! ) If you want 4 WRX wheels & tires let me know. They are snow tires which are very hard to find around here.
    Pete
    I'll let the both of you be the local guinea pigs. Hopefully this means my build will be super smooth. :-D

Post Thanks / Like
    peep came today... :-) now July 27 for me! 2 weeks early

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Pete... I look forward to some greasy hands and a few beers.

I have been having a bit of trouble with my suspension bolts. Been giving them them a ftreatment of PB Blast and a hitting with my new ingrasoll impact gun. No luck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    peep came today... :-) now July 27 for me! 2 weeks early
    That's awesome! Count down to payment day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx Pete... I look forward to some greasy hands and a few beers.

I have been having a bit of trouble with my suspension bolts. Been giving them them a ftreatment of PB Blast and a hitting with my new ingrasoll impact gun. No luck...
    Breaker bar + cheater bar (jack handle). If you get about 3-4 feet of leverage, they should break loose.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    HEAT is your friend
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    HEAT is your friend
    I was so hoping to goto the torch.

They came loose with a bit of motivation from my breaker bar.

Moving on to clean and prep now.

Post Thanks / Like

Moving on to clean and prep now.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. I would be interested in before and after pictures of all of the major parts.

As you know from the thread of mine that you replied to, I picked up what I hope are most of my donor parts. The short descriptions in the "what you need" list leaves me with lots of questions -- googling for pictures with different results, lots of different parts/bolts that I don't know the real names of, not being sure of if the amount of rust on what I have is OK, and more. I'll also be interested in seeing the cleanup that you do too! I'll be starting with just a rag today.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Bkafe, I really appreciate the photos. As a car newbie, I don't know what many of those parts are called. Would you mind naming the photos for us?

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Parts

Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    Bkafe, I really appreciate the photos. As a car newbie, I don't know what many of those parts are called. Would you mind naming the photos for us?

Thank You!
    I added some comments to the pics to assist.

Also check out Metalmaker's build thread:http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-you-need-quot

And Mechie's 818 thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Mechie3-s-818S

They both have part close ups that can help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Time to make room for 818 kit delivery in less than 30 days.
    The donor carcass is gone. Local "we buy cars" company picked and towed to recycle yard and gave me a whole $30!
    Kept some small parts to sell online.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Advise requested....

In preparation for assemble, I am attempting to breakdown the rear suspension components.

For reference: http://opposedforces.com/parts/impre...ar_suspension/
    24, 19, 25 (talk about a bolt!)

Is it a recommended practice, to break all these bolts loose, while the suspension is on the donor?
    How can I get some good leverage on these bolts, with these parts off now of the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    Bolt 25 may be likely rusted to the steel sleeve in the bushing. When I replaced mine 2 years ago I had to cut them off. Otherwise, use an impact to remove the nut on the end then try pressing the bolt out. If it's only mildly corroded it will come out with no problem.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    heat is your friend... I also used a breaker bar and a long piece of steel "cheater" tubing

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.
    Last edited by flytosail; 07-02-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    heat is your friend... I also used a breaker bar and a long piece of steel "cheater" tubing
    A bit of heat, breaker bar, and 6' steel cheater tubing did the trick. Thx... Next are the Axle nuts... ;^)

Any tips on bracing the component off the car...I was playing a balancing act trying to get leverage on this small part; literally standing on it trying to keep it stable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just have a balls IR gun, but if not you must get creative

Post Thanks / Like
    I face the same problem with the rear suspension. From the AJW crates I started on the rear first but then put them aside when I couldn't loosen the nuts. Soon I'll have to tackle them.
    To all others: Break the rear suspension nuts and bolts loose while still on the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I just have a balls IR gun, but if not you must get creative
    By IR do you mean, Ingersoll Rand? or IR as in Infra Red?

I have a Ingersoll 2135TiMax, couldn't break it loose...maybe is my cheapie compressor thats slacking.

B

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yea you need 90psi consistently to get the max torque, but a break bar with extension should work, it is is still stuck, cut them off, personally I cut most tiff ones off and I also got all new suspension bolts anyway. It is nice to have a set of torches to heat and cut stuff free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine and tranny separated... And cleaned. Ready for new clutch and timing belt kit.

Any recommendations for clutch? Std 2003 WRX engine, turbo... Mostly street with a few track days.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0094009/ph...um/9260625312/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast