FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: RM1Sepex Build Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Loring took a lot out of me... My eye bubble is tiny, perhaps it will be finally gone tomorrow! You should stop by and check out my 818 progress!

Front suspension is buttoned up except I don't have the original rear sway bar mounts... I have the rubber but not the metal... don't know how that happened, I saved every nut and bolt.

Dealing with the right side steering mount issue is frustrating... bracket doesn't fit, diameter too small, interferes with one of the PS fittings, requires bushings that we didn't receive, bolts longer than those provided... UGH Answer from Tony Zullo. "The PS bracket mounts from the bottom of the bracket ours hear fits..call me if you want.." Mechie3 and I have documented the issue, provided photos etc... the new manual specs .865 bushings and mount underneath... bushings that were not included in our kit and the mount is too tall for a simple .865 spacer... I've piced together a soln but wanted to try F5's... doesn't look like that will happen

It took a week and 3 emails with photos before the believed that they had a problem with the LCA rear bushings... everyone ahead of me just mounted them on top vs underneath... UGH

I've installed the pedals and steering column

I'm bolting up the rear suspension but I need AXLES!!!! I'm also waiting on the rear transaxle cover... I've asked several times but have heard nothing re my back ordered parts, 4 weeks, not a word re status or expected delivery

I've tried to mount up the seats, It looks like I was sent the brackets for 02-04 seats and they don't work with my 05 seats... Manual is confused, 05 is listed in both stock seat scenarios... I can't see how my stock seats will work, my 5'2" daughter wanted the seat farther back and it was back to the bulkhead... those WRX seats are very bulky... I may need to try a set of Miata seats... I was trying to avoid buying seats, attempting a donor parts 818... We will see I expect answers soon... I'm disappointed in how they react to "issues"... getting a bit frustrated!

I need to work in some sliders so my 5 foot tall wife and I can both drive the car. I'm figuring that I'll need some add'l brackets to mount up my 3/4 tall sliders... Right now with stock wrx seats she would be the only driver... my legs are all crunched up...

I've started the gas tank install and fuel pump conversion...

Anyone else having problems with some of the bushings not actually being large enough to slide over the 1/2 bolts? Filing them to go over the unthreaded portion of the bolt takes too long with a rat tail file!
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 08-26-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Eek. Sounds like you're having all sorts of issues. I suppose that's part and parcel with being an early adopter, but it sounds incredibly frustrating. Subaru made a lot of small changes to the Impreza line over the years, so I'm not surprised there are fitment issues. I think installing NA Miata seats is a great idea. They're more comfortable (at least for my frame), better bolstered, and smaller than WRX seats. And didn't I sell you an extra set of those seats with the red Miata?

I'd love to come check out the progress. Slammed at work this week, but after Labor Day I should have a lot more time.