BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM 275 - Getting closer!

Post Thanks / Like

GTM 275 - Getting closer!

Here are a few pics of my GTM. A couple more exterior items to handle and a few interior items before I can have it upholstered. Hoping to have it on the road relatively soon.

The lighting is tough today in full sun, pics look a bit different than in person. Still needs its final cut and buff too.

I made my own louvers in the front from steel, then glassed them in. I also cut front wheel vents in similar to the McLaren F1 LM cars. You can barely see them, but I have halos on the headlights. Mirrors were imported from Japan - reworked to fit the GTM.

Need to play with the ride height a bit - tough finding that balance of look and use-ability.

Shaved the door handles, added window frames, made the side intakes larger...rims are C5 originals (magnesium), I had them powdercoated. I also made the rear louvers.

Threw away the FFR tail lights and went with Nissan GT-R (R35) units. That was a heck of a project, but I like them.

This was my first effort at bodywork and fiberglass. I took it to primer and as close as I could get the body to straight, then turned it over to my painter. The color is supposed to be Papaya Orange (Audi), but I cannot say for certain that he truly used the exact Audi color - regardless, I like it.

I may still add a wing. I have a prototype that I built, but there is too much asymmetry. I need to decide which half I like better, then make a mirror image of that half.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I like it and the items that you have changed and added. WOW just amazing!!!!!!!!!
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my gosh, your car is simply beyond stunning!! You have created a true work of art!

Congratulations on a beautiful build. I am envious beyond belief! The craftsmanship, the color, the details--- WOW. You must be extremely proud!

Well done!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice work!

Do you have any interior photos?

Those brake lenses are massive; everyone will see you stopping from miles away!
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great!!!! So much improvement. You should really be proud of your accomplishment.

Question, how did you darken the lenses?

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful car, Congratulations. 😉

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Great looking car!
    Delivered June 29, 2012
    Chassis 402
    Body work started (hatch & hood)
    Installing QRP fuel pump
    http://supercarbuild.blogger.com
    FB Page: Super Car Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the modifications. Looks great!
    Cheers,
    Dave

GTM # 294 Build Start Date 10/12/2009,
    2000 C5 Donor, LS-1 Twin Turbo, AC/Heat, G50-20.02 6 speed, Brandwood Cable shifter
    Build site. http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/dfraser/

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that looks great.
    Just an old man with a great hobby

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    Nice work!

Do you have any interior photos?

Those brake lenses are massive; everyone will see you stopping from miles away!

No interior pics yet. Still need to get that work done, maybe a few weeks out yet, but I will update when done or close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    Looks great!!!! So much improvement. You should really be proud of your accomplishment.

Question, how did you darken the lenses?
    Thanks for the compliments! I have been watching your build too and it is AWESOME!

The front lenses just have paint around the perimeter...is that what you mean? About 1", except at the top where I brought it up to the plane of the headlights. I just taped the underside where I didn't want paint, then scuffed and rattle can painted. The buckets are black, that may make the front lenses look tinted or darkened.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the compliments everyone! There have been times when I seriously questioned what the heck I got myself into, but seeing the end result and hearing your feedback puts those questions a world away.

Post Thanks / Like
    I dropped off all the interior pieces and seats at the upholster today. Getting closer, inch-by-inch...stitch by stitch.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a fantastic build really nice changes made there. Great Job.

Erik Johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Erik!

I was a bit bummed today. My upholster said they cannot get the thread in the color I wanted for the stitching. I wanted orange, but he said they don't have anything thick enough. It is all good, going for black stitching now. One less thing that will show dirt over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the car , the color , and the mods !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    mmaragos-

Not to put my nose in your business, but you need to put out an all out search for that thread! That color will make such an enormous difference to the interior, it is worth waiting for in my opinion. There has to be someone, somewhere who makes the color you are seeking. It would just be too awesome. Your exterior color is off the charts, and a similar coordinating color on the interior would make it really pop.

Just putting in my $.02, which is worth far less than that. Please take my post in the manner in which it was intended, which is just an opinion on an amazing car!!

Best of luck finishing her off!!

Regards,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    Thanks Erik!

I was a bit bummed today. My upholster said they cannot get the thread in the color I wanted for the stitching. I wanted orange, but he said they don't have anything thick enough. It is all good, going for black stitching now. One less thing that will show dirt over time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve,

I think I found some thread. There is a ton out there that is close in color and pretty thick. I think my upholster just was wanting to take the easy route, but we'll see what he says when I show him the options I found. Thanks for saying something it made me realize that I really want orange stitching.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW, what a great looking build!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Doug!

Looks like I am getting the orange stitching! Almost forgot about the shifter and parking brake boots. Taking those over this afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew! Went to the CHP today. They checked out the car and got my application for a VIN filled out and signed. Back to the DMV next week for the next step in the process. Interior is getting closer. I need to make a center console plate and I need to figure out how I am going to finish sealing off the center tunnel and get the head unit installed. Then I will post up some interior pictures. The guys at the CHP were really cool and had some great comments about my car. A much more fun experience than I imagined.

On my way back home from the CHP a bum stepped out into the road (at a red traffic light) and acted like he was taking video of my car (although he had no camera). Like I would envision a movie director to do if they were reviewing the scene before it shot. Light turned green and he slowly crept to the side of the road holding his hands up the entire time as he got out of my way...Yes, I live in Van Nuys. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, do you have some more finished photos of this car? I'm about to paint my GTM 418. I'm using a similar colour and would really be interested in a few more pictures for some inspiration. I was thinking about a black roof however am unsure atm.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a great color for this car. That orange is slightly softer that in the Mercielago Atlas Oranchio and looks really sharp. You build looks great and nice job on the custom work. It will stop traffic and you will get asked several times a day, "what is it"? Mine has no Factory Five identification and I have only had one or two people guess what it was but I get asked constantly. Nice job.

Michael
    Michael

GTM 240

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job, sexy.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long was the build

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang it! I just recently accepted the fact that I'm going to have to be ok with the factory five tail lights....... And now you've reminded me that I'm NOT ok with them lol.