Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ffr hilabrand wheels

Post Thanks / Like

Ffr hilabrand wheels

My wheels finally arrived after 20 plus weeks and to my suprise the fronts spindle hub hold the wheel away from the mounting surface by about 1/8" (not the width of the hub but the length) thats without the spinner hub in place. The wheels are 17"X9", spindles donor 91 mustang, rotors 1989 Lincoln MkIV 5 lug conversion.
    In my case the only fix is 1/4" spacers and longer studs. What is the problem?

Thanks

Denny
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Up early this am and checking in. i've shipped a huge number of the new Halibrand-style FFR wheels and the backspacing has been perfect. We own the tooling and production delays of castings and machining aside (and I'll get back to you on Monday wr/2 your lead time) haven't seen any issues like this. I will have an answer for you tomorrow morning.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, he says he's using Fox spindles with the Lincoln 5-lug rotor conversion. On the popular '99 and up wheels (Bullitt, FR500, etc.) they won't clear the dust cap to install the wheel center. Have your new wheels been test fit on this application or only on the SN-95 spindle and your own spindle? I have a fear that it might be an issue with the earlier Fox spindle being used in this application.

Maybe Jim or Jesper can comment further...

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark your right, but even with the dust cap off they hit the rotor hub. With the 1/4 spacer and no dust cap they fit but there isnt clearance for the wheel center without clearancing that about 3/32 of an inch for the lip of the dust cap and that is with sanding about 1/8" off the dust cap so it sits flush.

Thx
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Denny,

We often run these wheels with the fox spindles on the Challenge cars but what I have noticed is that all the replacement rotors are not made to the same heights. My current front rotors stand off the mounting surface by 1.53 in. and that gives me about 1/8 in. remaining clearance to the lip of the wheel where it would retain the center spinner. (This includes the tapered section of the wheel) I don't run the spinners on the race car but in order to fit them on this particular set of rotors I would still have to sand them down about 1/16 in. to be certain they did not affect the mounting of the wheel. On my other set of wheels (FR500 replicas) there have been some brands of replacement rotors that I could not use without spacers as the hub section simply stuck out too far.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim, I'll take a measurement tonite and post it but what I'm saying is that they won't fit even with the spinner centers off. I paid for the spinners, I want to use them. I cant see how much shorter the nose of the hub could be as the bearing dust cap must fit into it. If the hub was a 1/4" shorter for the wheels to fit then the dust cap wouldnt fit. Then on top of that, the dust cap flange OD is larger then the ID of the spinner adapter. Because the end of the spindle protrudes into it.
    I'm suprised this hasnt come up before.

Thx
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Up early this am and checking in. i've shipped a huge number of the new Halibrand-style FFR wheels and the backspacing has been perfect. We own the tooling and production delays of castings and machining aside (and I'll get back to you on Monday wr/2 your lead time) haven't seen any issues like this. I will have an answer for you tomorrow morning.
    PM Sent
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Denny,
    Did you ever get a measurement? My challenge car is in the shop here now so I can do some easy comparisons if needed.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J¡m View Post
    Denny,
    Did you ever get a measurement? My challenge car is in the shop here now so I can do some easy comparisons if needed.
    Jim, I hope you can read this. I have it as a pdf but the forum wont let me send it and I had to compress this to get it through. If not could you pm me your email address and I can send the pdf that way.

Thanks for your help
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    My email is just jim"at"factoryfive.com, I can read some dimensions but just to be sure I would like to see it uncompressed.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim email sent
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Gents,
    what were the results of this?

I am going to be running fox spindles, do we know which 5 lug hubs will work and which won't?
    I already have by FFR hali's sitting in the garage, shipped in early January. Am I going to run into problems?

Thanks,
    Vic
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vic, They tell me its a freak casting issue as they have sold hundreds of these wheels and they fit on the 1989 Lincoln mark iv hub/rotor combo. Mine are 17" so maybe it didnt affect 15". The drawing above are the dimensions for my hub (jim's too), if you havent purchased your rotors to mock-up, you could compair those measurements with your wheels to put your mind at ease. You might be good to go.

HTH
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    If they shipped in early January they should be fine, only the last batch has been different.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got a set of Team III wheels (they make Factory 5's wheels), the polished Halibrand style wheel. I guess I was lucky mine came in 3 weeks. I was just about to load everything in the car to take to get mounted and I noticed I have a rubbing issue on the brake caliper. Its slight but enough to be an issue. I ordered 1/8" billet spacers and I hope that takes care of the problem. I have little build info on my car, I was told it has Cobra R brakes which I marked on the order form. The brake caliper has the word COBRA stamped on it. I'm hoping the spacer does the trick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patpur View Post
    I just got a set of Team III wheels (they make Factory 5's wheels)
    Just as an FYI the FFR wheels are NOT made by Team III.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    news to me? Thanks for the info Jeff, so who makes them? I believe someone at Team III told me they did.

Post Thanks / Like
    They are manufactured in the Far East (much farther east than Massachusets if you get my drift ) to FFR specs using FFR owned tooling. I think Team III might have been supplying FFR at one time a few years ago before they decided to bring the wheels "in house".

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is I'm really happy with my Team III's. Got the spacers this morning from Billet Depot and the wheels now clear the calipers up front. The rears were not an issue, they get mounted tomorrow and then you guys will have to suffer through some pics.
    If there is anyone in the Montgomery County,Maryland, DC area looking for someone to mount your wheels, Radial Tire in Silver Spring, Maryland does an excellent job. Ask for Sam or Paul.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am ready to pull the trigger on a set of wheels and came across this. Is this a problem with the FF wheels only, or is it a problem with both Factory Five and Team III. If its a casting problem, has it been resolved yet? Not interested in playing with spacers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Smith and Jim Schenck both assured me it was a fluke with that production run. Ive been following the forums for awhile and haven't seen any complaints before or since. While I haven't recieved my new wheels yet they tell me they are comming with the next run.

Maybe Dave or Jim can add more.

HTH
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    This was an issue with just one batch of the wheels both the older sets and the wheels from here on out will clear the hub on the fox spindle. This is also only a problem with a converted 5 lug fox hub, all the SN95 or MKIV spindles clear without problems on all the runs of wheels.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    My 17 in FFR Halibrands have this issue with the fox/lincoln rotors.
    They mount fine without the spinner/hub assembly.
    But I install everything, and the front wheels wobble.
    I've had these wheels for over a year now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim Schenck,
    Its been two months (april 26) since you emailed for my shipping address for my replacement wheels. Ive emailed you twice with no answers. I'm patient but can you at least give me an update on when I might be expecting them? Were they shipped to the wrong address?

Thanks
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim is an engineer. Patti takes care of the wheel shipments and she can help you with a status. I will see if she can help you with a status on your wheels.
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Z View Post
    Jim is an engineer. Patti takes care of the wheel shipments and she can help you with a status. I will see if she can help you with a status on your wheels.
    Brian,

Yes I know he's an engineer. Jim is the one that was handleing this, in his last email he said "The wheel manufacturer is going to send the front wheels to you directly, can I get your shipping info again to make sure they go to the correct place?" He didn' say he was done with it at that point so surely you can understand my confusion. I guess at this point I'll wait to hear from Patti?
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like

Wheels

hi guys,

The wheel manufacturer is in the process of reworking the tooling for this, unfortunately, this isn't a quick process... he'll have better up date soon (few days)

thanks.!!

Patti

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Patti, Its been a few days, I made my first start on Thursday and I'm ready to go cart this thing any word yet from the manufacture?

Thanks
    Denny