Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Post your Tire set up....

Post Thanks / Like

Post your Tire set up....

Just want to find out what brand and size tires your running. Whats best for track and street? Are you happy with your choice or would you change anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kumho XS---255/40-17 on 9" wheel in front; 315/35-17 on 10.5" in the rear. I'm very happy with them. Do a lot of auto-x and some track days and I think the XS is generally regarded as one of the highest performing street/track tires available in the sizes we use. They take a few heat cycles from new to really start working and then just keep getting better as they wear. They want heat and traction definitely falls off below 60 degrees. I first put the car on the road with Sumitomo HTR-Zs in the same sizes. Dirt cheap and OK if all you are doing is street cruising. They were very consistent though; not much traction whether they were hot or cold!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am funning Falken ZE-512 (245/45-17) on the front and Falken FK-452 (275/40-17) on the rear. I like them for the street. I put about 33000 miles on the first set of fronts, including donor time.

One day I will move to 315's on the rear, but for now the selection at a price I would like to pay is limited on that size locally.

Bobby
    Bobby R
    2006 MKIII Roadster
    http://www.65roadster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out with BFG KDW. It's an excellent tire - very stable, good traction, and long lasting. Gives an excellent ride. But, I can't get them in 295's any more. I still have them on the front (oddly enough, the rears wear out a lot faster than the fronts!).

Last summer I bought a set of Nitto 555's for the rear. Not a good tire at all. The car doesn't ride nearly as well, and feels darty sometimes. I've played with the tire pressure and alignment settings, and got them calmed down quite a bit. But still not where the BFG's were. I think I'll get rid of them soon. I'll probably end up with a BFG in a 275 width. The stability gained will be worth the traction lost.

On the track I use a Kumho V710. Excellent tire. Good grip, communicates well, and lasts a long time. Unfortunatly, getting those in a 295 width is also getting to be impossible. I might have to switch to a Hoosier R6

In '09, I used a set of Toyo 888's. Terrible tire! They're directional, so I couldn't switch them side to side. So the tires wore at a very uneven rate. And halfway through the season they were done. Once they got hot, they were sliding all over the place. A terrible track tire.

I'v heard the Toyo R1's are an excellent tire. Lots of people at the track use them with good success. But I don't really know about the wear rate.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm running Kuhmo xs 245/45/17 in front and 285/40/17 in back great street and autox tire I wish I could go bigger but my old Mk1 doesn't have a lot of room and my wheels would need to be replaced. I also have a set of MT ETstreet drag radials 275/40/17 and Nitto 555 235/45/17 for the front great straight line set up but that's about it. Very darty at speed and as you would probably expect horrible on the autox track.
    I use to run BFG radial ta's 235/15 in front and 295/15 in back they did look nice but were absolutely worthless when it came to traction my 1/4 mile times were in the low 12's with 125mph trap speeds. Cornering was also worthless as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone ran the VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA? Their not to expencive but they get some good reviews and a very nice looking tread pattern
    Last edited by LuckyWinner; 03-14-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    mickey thompsons on 15" wheels
    Mk 3.1 #6945

Post Thanks / Like
    BFG Ground Force Sports. 255/45/17 on all four corners. Good all around tire for street, works well in autocross and track days. For a tire that has a 340 tread wear rating they work suprisingly well. My next set of tires will be the Kumo XS.
    F5R1006211RD, Blue Granite Metallic with Titan Silver Stripes by Jeff Miller (Batman)
    4.6 SOHC, 3.73 R&P, 3 Link W/Koni's, 17x9 Cobra R's with 255 45zr 17 BFG Tires, Champ Pan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dunlops 335/35/17s in the rear and 275/45/17s in the front mounted now on FR500s in Black:

VenomXS - SuperCobra 1
    New Website with All My Projects | Graduation | POM | Awarded by Factory Five ! |Powered by 03 SVT Cobra Terminator|Please Join SoCal FFRs Group !

Post Thanks / Like
    Sergio, what width are the rear wheels your running? I have the room for 335's as my fenders are flared, but haven't found a suitable 12 inch wheel that I really like.

_Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    Dunlops 335/35/17s in the rear and 275/45/17s in the front mounted now on FR500s in Black:

MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    BF Goodrich Radial T/A 275/50R15 Rear 235/60R15 front. I like the fat look. I think that these tires are too hard and will switch to Mickey Thompsons when all of the smoke has been let out of these.
    FFR MK III #6055

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Sergio, what width are the rear wheels your running? I have the room for 335's as my fenders are flared, but haven't found a suitable 12 inch wheel that I really like.

_Scott
    The rear rims are 10.5 x 17 s
    VenomXS - SuperCobra 1
    New Website with All My Projects | Graduation | POM | Awarded by Factory Five ! |Powered by 03 SVT Cobra Terminator|Please Join SoCal FFRs Group !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyWinner View Post
    Has anyone ran the VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA? Their not to expencive but they get some good reviews and a very nice looking tread pattern
    Here are my Vred's. I've only recently gotten registered so I don't have many miles on them yet. But so far, I like them. Hopefully I'll be able to really get some miles on them this spring and summer.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've driven on all of these on cobras
    Sumitomos- absolute crap, no traction ever, very cheap. rating 1
    BFG radial TA's- classic look, no traction. rating 3
    BFG gforce KDW- really good all around tire. rating 7
    Nitto 555 II's - good all around tire. rating 6
    Nitto NT01 -open track/autocross tire, really sticky. rating 9
    Nitto NT05- drag radial hooks up well, wears really fast with 705 RWHP. rating 9
    Kumho Ecsta XS - best street tire I've driven, near DOT race grip levels but doesn't pick up rocks like one. Rating 8 on traction (10 on value)
    Kumho V700 Victoracer- I ran them on a street car and while they have great grip, they pick up every stone you run across. rating 8
    Kumho V710- like the V700 with better turn in and grip with shorter life. rating 9
    Toyo Proxxes RA1- great track/autocross tire, gets better the more worn it becomes. rating 9
    Last edited by Wayne Presley; 03-18-2011 at 08:16 AM.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Running the same set of Sumitomos for the last four years/11000 miles. Going with Kumho Ecsta XS tires this spring. I wonder if maybe it was a good thing to cut my teeth on tires with less traction for a while. Looking forward to grippier tires.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Sergio, thanks, no issues with the wheel width? All the tires I have looked at suggest a min of an 11 inch wheel and use a 12 inch wheel as their midpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
    The rear rims are 10.5 x 17 s

Wayne, so would you rate the XS as an 8.5? Do they tramline like the old Exsta did? Had those on my Mustang good tire but the tramlining was a B.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill_VA View Post
    I wonder if maybe it was a good thing to cut my teeth on tires with less traction for a while. Looking forward to grippier tires.
    Absolutely not, less traction equals a greater risk of losing control of the car. If you have to replace the tires every 10K miles, that's 2-3 years use for most people.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    Wayne, so would you rate the XS as an 8.5? Do they tramline like the old Exsta did? Had those on my Mustang good tire but the tramlining was a B.
    I fixed the post, the XS's track smooth and are not very noisy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had d Sumi's and Jeff K converted me so i went to the Kumho XS
    245-45-17 and 335-35-17 inthe rear on 11 inch Team 3 wheels

T

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mydream View Post
    ...Jeff K converted me...

TMI...hahahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    TMI...hahahaha
    I had to google that LOL! I guess you have teenagers.....