FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Clarification on State reg. needed

Post Thanks / Like

Clarification on State reg. needed

My donor WRX is mostly dismantled. I am looking into options to dispose of the shell. I am told that here in Connecticut, to register a component car, in addition to paper work from the manufacturer (Factory Five), you need the title from the donor car. The problem is that the salvage yards will not cart away my shell without a title. What do I do?

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut my chassis up into several pieces. One scrap yard wouldn't take it (they wanted to buy the car) another took it as scrap metal since it was in more than 2 pieces and I kept the title.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cut it up in pieces

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked into this issue in NH, and asked the question to someone at the DMV saying "The scrap yard wants the title, but you also say I need it to prove the car isn't stolen" The response I got was as follows:
    Make copies of you bill of sale and original title when you purchased the car (ie prior to getting "your" title)
    The Title goes with the car, so when it goes to the scrapyard you need to make copies of the title showing you sold it to the scrapyard, and any other paperwork. This should provide
    a paper trail of the old title when you purchased the donor, bill of sale, and a copy showing the donor was scrapped. This is for NH, and I have not successfully registered a kit car or anything
    with this process, but just going off what was explained to me at the DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I think I have found a salvage yard that will take the car with only a copy of the title. I may cut the car in two just to make sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Billy Mayes sell one of those twin saws that could cut a car in half? Aren't you just a little curious?

Keeping the title will be easier when it's time to register your shiny new 818 that you'll be eager to get on the road. If cutting into a few pieces allows you to keep the title, that's definitely the way to go. IMHO.