Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Metalmaker's build thread begins

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Thanks for that info. My pedal is from a 2007 wrx- So what your saying, is I might not need to modify?
    07 is dbw so it should be in a desired location, the earlier dbc mounts different in the car and due to size differences in mounting locations on the FFR 818 frame it has to be modded a bit

Post Thanks / Like
    Where's the wrap coming from?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those carbon look panels are so cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I came across a coolant adapter that will help burp our systems.

photo-146.JPG

I also grabbed a perrin inlet photo-145.JPG

I also got something done today.... I mocked up cut down harness, got power to the cluster and it cranks over, Hell yea first man in flight!! well with the factory harness off coarse. It is not super difficult if you have some background, but you gotta cut it down if you want to fit it in the car.

photo-140.JPGphoto-141.JPGphoto-143.JPGphoto-142.JPGphoto-139.JPGphoto-138.JPGphoto-144.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    MM. Does the "assembly manual" have recommendations on where the fuss box and other components should go

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yea kinda, and my locations pretty much match there's. Honestly they can really only go in certain spots unless you want to cut it all apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that last pic the wiring harness AFTER your dieting? Dang, that is one big clump of wire you got there. Apparently you kept the wiring for the missile launchers and ejection seats. . Good job getting to this point. You will be on the road before you know it.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So it looks like you haven't actually shortened the harness yet and dieted it. So you should loose about 25 lbs. shouldn't you? You are doing it the right way! It would be depressing to carry around all that extra junk in a seriously light race car. Good luck. Keep us atuned of the big pile of loose wires. That would be a good pic to keep for memories of the build. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have dieted abs, srs, cruise, fuel pump extension harness, and all that would be left is the heating and radio stuff. You have to diet and I would like to even more, but it might be more of a pain than its worth. This harness is a cluster @&$@$, but were cranking. I just have to see why I am getting no power to the fuel pump and sendor, when the relay is snapping on, but its late and I am not helping anything half eyed.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are coming along very nice. It is good to see a factory harness install. I am still debating which way to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job Chris... I'm hoping that we can pull more than that from the harness...

what gauge wire did you use to extend the harness? I'm looking to order some wire before I drag that 45 lb plastic box out and dig into the rats nest!
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 09-02-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There is some 8 gauge, 16 and 18, also there is some 10, I have just mocked up the connections with connectors, but once I have it all set I will go back and solder the connections and heat shrink. To be honest I have reused factory wires to extend most wires and I only bought some 8 gauge to extend the main fuse box power cord. I am going to trouble shoot a little lata, takings break from it so I can look it all over fresh, I was up till 230am sorting out certain stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    So you took and stripped out some obviously unused wires like speaker wires etc and reused them as control wires etc... no concern for the color etc... just matters where the splice starts and stops.

I see how the large diameter wires are for the starter circuit etc... I have some bigger wire on hand. I'm hoping to get to the wiring next week.

I had another autocross yesterday and it was about 90% humidity all day... need to take it easy today I'm spent! That shifter kart really beats me up. :-)
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I had planned on using the factory harness, but seeing that mass of wires is really making me consider buying Wayne's solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    2k is what kept me from that, but it is a good solution, but I think in time there will be others

Post Thanks / Like
    Fortunately for me, I start a new job Tuesday - and it pays a lot more. So now I don't mind spending some extra to make my life easier! Hahaha

Post Thanks / Like
    did you delete all the power window and stereo stuff? how "deep" does your current delete go?

Like you I believe that there will be a better soln using the factory ecu soon...
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    ...but I think in time there will be others
    I actually love wiring and I do a lot of it as a mechanic at Delta Airlines. My 818S kit arrives tomorrow morning, and as soon as I get my harness done, I will be offering a full service custom harness mod hopefully with a swap out option as I have an extra complete 02 wrx harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that what Wayne is anticipating asking for the plug n play harness? That's pretty pricey for a harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did not delete all the power window and or radio because i might use them at some point. I was going to try deleting it more, but I don't have the time to cut it all the way down and basically rebuild a harness. If it works I am happy, and it is getting close to being where I want it.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OK I think I get what you are saying now. You didn't have time to shorten the wires that worked but are way too long. You dieted what you could and added pieces into the wires that were too short. That makes sense. It would be a big task to take all those long wires and solder/heatshrink every one. Also, it adds a variable into the equation which is: making a mistake and misattaching or leaving a bad connection. It would take a lot of continuity checking and added work. Don't blame you at all!!! Good luck on the first startup. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    All of this was only 16 lbs... All AC wiring, power steering, ABS, SRS, airbag, radio harness, door harnesses, etc. have been removed. And it takes FOREVER!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Is that what Wayne is anticipating asking for the plug n play harness? That's pretty pricey for a harness.
    Thats a complete harness, Electromotive TEC-s, sensors, software, and the ECU will come loaded with a tune file.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So got power at fuel pump controller and pump. I had a bad 30a fuse at SBF-5, but now it is all coming together and soon I will be filling tank a bit and trying to start

Ps, in fairness to Wayne, his wire setup is very nice and worth every cent, I just don't have the extra cents
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 09-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Wow. I had planned on using the factory harness, but seeing that mass of wires is really making me consider buying Wayne's solution.
    Wayne's system is an organized and customizable time and frustration saving system. You need to talk to him before you make your final decision. Ive wartched him do 2 of his systems on 2 818's, and it is a fairly simple and quick install.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Thats a complete harness, Electromotive TEC-s, sensors, software, and the ECU will come loaded with a tune file.
    Unless the engine is different than what you tuned in the TEC software, then it will require a re-tuning/mapping.
    Frank

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Unless the engine is different than what you tuned in the TEC software, then it will require a re-tuning/mapping.
    Frank, I have tune files for a stock WRX and a WRX with normal upgrades. The tune will be really close out of the box.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    the same could be said for every ECU out there...even the "self tuning" systems requires some tweaking to be optimum... I have one of Wayne's ECU's with preloaded tune and it was good enough to go out for a drive....on 2 cylinders!
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, I have tune files for a stock WRX and a WRX with normal upgrades. The tune will be really close out of the box.
    Ok Wayne, I see. Depending on the upgrades, it will most probably run, but then of course to be optimal a good tune is required. Sounds much better than what I did on my VW with the DTA S80 Pro, I did everything from scratch with very very little reference to something.

I'm done for these questions in this thread, since this is Metal's build thread , but I appreciate I got an answer.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Same goes for my setup, I am running a Usdm ecu emission re flashed ecu, but when I bring to dyno I will be re- mapping the jdm edu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
    All of this was only 16 lbs... All AC wiring, power steering, ABS, SRS, airbag, radio harness, door harnesses, etc. have been removed. And it takes FOREVER!

This is my nightmare...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is not that bad everyone, got my setup almost ready to go. I did not mean to intimidate anyone, the oem harness is completely doable and will have an assortment of options for factory accessories like a/c etc. There is also a wide range of subaru tunable products that can be used with the oem stuff all the way up to open source tunes and stand alone Ecu's etc. Wayne's setup is great and if you got the extra coin go for it, but you can still have the same bang for a donor harness.

Note: none of this statement is made to sway any decisions, just stating the factory harness is completely doable
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 09-04-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's alive.....it's alivvvve .... Hoohaaaaaaaa.haaaaaa. Haaaaaaaa. Will make vid when I install coolant system, sounds wicked mean with the equal length/ twin scroll spinning and less rumble, I mean wicked nasty mean. Ps kinda needs a muffler but we will see. I have a short magnaflow and some other bits.

Footnote: 1st customer to use factory harness and get it started, jdm ej207 with a vf37 twinscroll" I feel like the few of us first builds our the pioneers of the 818

I will try to post a quick video tomorrow morning of her running

Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet. Looks like I'll be running the VF37 setup on an EJ25. I wonder how it'll sound in comparison? :-D

Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    6 weeks to first start... great job! Looking forward to the vid...

Post Thanks / Like
    Super Job! Take a bow and have a beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Had like 4 Sam lights, and a shot after I got it running, just relaxing now. I just gotta run coolant and build axles along with finishing lights, and various brackets along with a full diagnostics and tweaking of any system that might throw a code, I have a couple minor codes, but I know what I have to mod to get it right, just standard tweaking, but at least set a canvas for others and I have some details on various harness mods etc when you all need advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats Chris!

I just dragged my fuel tank and tote with the harness into the garage this morning... another stock harness attempt about to begin! :-)
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 09-07-2013 at 04:45 PM.
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes sir man!!! Great job, pretty quick too!

Do you have a cat on or currently you got no cat and no muffler?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes more sense. Just a harness should have gold plated connectors for $2k.

Congrats to metal! Great progress.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast