FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Donor Opinions

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Opinions

Here is a donor that is local to me, so no transport.

Its very basic, impreza, no turbo, but if it goes for 500$, its hard to beat.

I was considering a NA motor anyway just to keep costs down.

any opinions?

http://erepairables.com/salvage-cars...7#.Ue86oWYo4y8

Post Thanks / Like
    The actual value listed on that site is bogus. I'd probably refresh the motor with a new timing belt and head gaskets while its out but everything else should be good enough.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I think ill put a bid in, 500$, I can part it out for that

Post Thanks / Like
    I also toyed with the idea of an NA build. I seriously considered an 07 NA imprezza wagon in good condition and a bit lower mileage. It had a tiny bit of front left quarter panel damage but otherwise damage free. I remember thinking $4000 was reasonable. Like Mechie3 said, that stated value is bogus. Before bidding, go drive one to get a feel for the engine character. Now I realize the engine will feel different with a third less weight, but it still is a useful exercise. Ultimately, the bit of diesel character of the Subaru NA engines I remembered from my 95 outback is still there and seemed too prevalent to me for me to bite. The liveliness of the turbo engines won out for me. If you find yourself wanting more, it can be expensive to add on. Just food for thought.

That said, it's your build. You may have to check the suspension components on that front left corner, but otherwise looks like a great option, for a NA build. Price could be very right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    I also toyed with the idea of an NA build. I seriously considered an 07 NA imprezza wagon in good condition and a bit lower mileage. It had a tiny bit of front left quarter panel damage but otherwise damage free. I remember thinking $4000 was reasonable. Like Mechie3 said, that stated value is bogus. Before bidding, go drive one to get a feel for the engine character. Now I realize the engine will feel different with a third less weight, but it still is a useful exercise. Ultimately, the bit of diesel character of the Subaru NA engines I remembered from my 95 outback is still there and seemed too prevalent to me for me to bite. The liveliness of the turbo engines won out for me. If you find yourself wanting more, it can be expensive to add on. Just food for thought.

That said, it's your build. You may have to check the suspension components on that front left corner, but otherwise looks like a great option, for a NA build. Price could be very right!
    Hey Goldwing
    I think I ended up with the 07 $4000 NA wagon you were considering.
    3K93me3He5La5N45J8cb1bd6aa3a3684a1550.jpgdoner fender.jpg943652_4385867538556_409429786_n.jpg
    My son and I have done about 20 autocross events in it this summer. 2 more scheduled for this weekend in Wilmington OH.
    I decided it was 2 nice to take apart. I got a $900 copart donor instead. My son mike will drive it to high school until his 818 is done.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    I currently have a 2.5L outback. has the cvt. Not bad, but not terribly fast.

are there better cams, ect for the NA motors? make them rev better?

Anyway, my kit is still a long way off, and with some of the post about erepairables, and the 99$ membership fee, I think ill hold out.

Post Thanks / Like
    That should result in a free NA donor after selling off unused parts...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, need some opinion on another donar.

2003 Forester, flood damage.
    http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

From my research, looks like a forester is a full donor. They use the same gauges, and it looks like the FD ratios are even the same.

What should I look at on a flooded car? Its local, so I may try to look at it tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nikbrewer View Post
    I currently have a 2.5L outback. has the cvt. Not bad, but not terribly fast.

are there better cams, ect for the NA motors? make them rev better?

Anyway, my kit is still a long way off, and with some of the post about erepairables, and the 99$ membership fee, I think ill hold out.
    High performance cams, tuned exhausts, intake stuff, and other goodies are all available for NA engines. But figure on spending 2-3K to get your engine from 165HP to 200+. Trust me, I have learned this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nikbrewer View Post
    OK, need some opinion on another donar.

2003 Forester, flood damage.
    http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

From my research, looks like a forester is a full donor. They use the same gauges, and it looks like the FD ratios are even the same.

What should I look at on a flooded car? Its local, so I may try to look at it tomorrow.
    A Forester is basically a tall Impreza, so it should be a full donor. But be wary of potential electrical problems with flood damaged vehicles. You may also want to verify that water didn't get into the engine & transmission............

Post Thanks / Like
    its local to me so ill check it all out.I would only use minimal wiring, as I want to do aftermarket wiring for the 818, and just use the engine harness. I figure since there is no physical damage, that would be more parts to sell, an no bent suspension