Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boz's 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Boz, im jealous. I am currently fitting the trans tunnel, i have the old style that does not have the cutout along the top. I am having to trim quite a bit to get it to fit. I was wondering if you can post some pics of your tunnel and the throttle pedal area. I am concerned that the supplied pedal is going to be way too far away for me because it mounts to the lower toe board of the firewall. I may have to purchase a floor mount version unless i can figure something out. Thanks and again very nice job.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Looks awesome Boz, im jealous. I am currently fitting the trans tunnel, i have the old style that does not have the cutout along the top. I am having to trim quite a bit to get it to fit. I was wondering if you can post some pics of your tunnel and the throttle pedal area. I am concerned that the supplied pedal is going to be way too far away for me because it mounts to the lower toe board of the firewall. I may have to purchase a floor mount version unless i can figure something out. Thanks and again very nice job.

Evan
    Thanks. I used 1 and 1/2 inch spacers to put my pedal even with the frame. The main reason for that was to make my linkage system work better. I believe the two piece tunnel is more forgiving than the old one which is why they don't supply the pedal box modification any more. I moved the left side of the tunnel to within a 1/4 inch of the clutch pivot for pedal clearance and it appears even with size 13 feet it's gonna be okay. Gotta be careful with the front mounting on the tunnel because you lose aluminum to mount to as you shift the tunnel. I'll do some pics this morning and post them tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    These are for Evan. Not sure if any of these help or not. My tunnel is mounted on the bottom to the floor panels with a couple of bolts in the frame. The front mounts are only on the lower firewall and the upper frame section, I didn't want any bolts protruding the through the firewall area that would be visible in the engine compartment. Seems very secure to me and I'll use either silicone or a weatherstrip during final assembly.

P9300001.JPGP9300002.JPGP9300003.JPGP9300004.JPGP9300006.JPGP9300007.JPGP9300015.JPGP9300014.JPGP9300013.JPGP9300012.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and a master switch..........wonder where I got that idea???
    P9300005.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you very much for the photos Boz, they definitely helped. I spoke to Tony Zullo today from FFR, and he too had the old trans cover and he had to cut a ton out of it. He said the new one is much narrower and doesnt require as much alterations. You do some very nice work, im impressed with the level of detail.

I do like that location. �� Thanks again.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got the email, my exhaust has been shipped. Time to remove everything, install the exhaust and reinstall the interior for the last time. Bad thing is my weekend has been spoken for..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boz, are you doing the rear exit or standard side?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boz, are you doing the rear exit or standard side?
    Rear exhaust, got the spring special when I ordered the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boz, just wondering how you like the Kootenai throttle linkage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Boz,

I elected to go this route for the front brake lines. No hose flopping around and cleans things up a but.

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley customs

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Boz, just wondering how you like the Kootenai throttle linkage?
    The parts are gorgeous but I'm still not happy with the way I have it attached to the pedal yet. I like your pedal spacer by the way, nice work !!
    Last edited by Boz1911; 10-08-2013 at 04:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've gutted the interior and have been working on the exhaust in the little time I've had lately. I also abandoned the heat shield material idea I had originally planned on using under the floor pans. Doesn't feel like I've made much progress............

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whittaker View Post

Boz,

I elected to go this route for the front brake lines. No hose flopping around and cleans things up a but.

Tim Whittaker
    Kootenai Valley customs
    So you are using a very short flex line? What about at the caliper, another flex hose? Do you have a pic installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Boz,

That's correct. Two short stainless flex lines. Sorry, no picture yet.

I should have sent you a fork clevis with the throttle kit. That didn't work for you for the pedal to to firewall linkage ? Anything I can supply to make it work ? I'd be willing to build something at my expense to make it right for you.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Whittaker View Post
    Hi Boz,

That's correct. Two short stainless flex lines. Sorry, no picture yet.

I should have sent you a fork clevis with the throttle kit. That didn't work for you for the pedal to to firewall linkage ? Anything I can supply to make it work ? I'd be willing to build something at my expense to make it right for you.

Tim
    Tim, the parts you sent are fine, just need work out a few kinks on my end without making ugly holes in the firewall.
    Actually I need to order a couple more goodies from you.
    I appreciate the offer though.

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, if anyone needs the side exit pipes they are welcome to them for the shipping costs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a long week. Got my exhaust last Friday but had to take my wife and sisters out of town last weekend so I've only had an hour here and there and this installation is something that asks for a good bit of time without interruption. Making both sides a mirror image of each other is not easy especially with the rear exit pipes. I really can't access/mount the rear hangers until I remove the trunk aluminum but I can easily position the tail pipes to match so I know I'm good there. The raw steel hangers got a coat of silver engine paint. The exhaust is really beautiful but those hangers were ugly. Also worked on the trunk latch. I had to use washers to get the latch bolt to clear but I have since picked one up at the hardware store that will work without the spacers. Trunk floor definitely needs reinforcement so I grabbed some 1/2 aluminum angle also for that task.

PA100008.JPGPA100009.JPGPA020001.JPGPA020002.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Is been nice to start installing the interior for the last time. Dressed up the e-brake handle and driveshaft while I had them out. The exhaust lookd great against the black underneath, so I'm paying attention to how everything looks under the car. Also I can do all the mounts for the wiring etc now that I know where the exhaust is located. First bolt I installed for the drivers seat hit directly on the front exhaust mount bolt. Thank goodness I was drilling a 1/8 starter hole.

PA130001.JPGPA130002.JPGPA130003.JPGPA130004.JPGPA130006.JPGPA130007.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 10-14-2013 at 04:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Boz, I'm sure you are getting anxious to get her on the road. Looking forward to seeing some video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks awesome Boz, I'm sure you are getting anxious to get her on the road. Looking forward to seeing some video.
    Thanks, the final assembly is much slower than the mockup. Trying to learn to be patient and make sure everything is just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked most of the day getting the car ready to start with the FFR exhaust installed, secured the tailpipes, reconnected the wiring, installed mounts for the e-brake cables and undercar wiring, etc. Finally cranked her up and I had the some awful exhaust leaks. I was very surprised as I really tightened it all pretty darn tight. Turned out the exhaust was fine it was the holes in the ends of the AFR heads for the thermactor system. Quick trip to the hardware store for some 5/8 x 16 bolts and bronze washers and now with the exception of a noisy release bearing she sounds awesome. Took some pics and video but I had the camera set up for macro mode and they suck. Anyone have thoughts on the release bearing noise. goes away when the clutch is depressed. Do I have something adjusted wrong?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    Worked most of the day getting the car ready to start with the FFR exhaust installed, secured the tailpipes, reconnected the wiring, installed mounts for the e-brake cables and undercar wiring, etc. Finally cranked her up and I had the some awful exhaust leaks. I was very surprised as I really tightened it all pretty darn tight. Turned out the exhaust was fine it was the holes in the ends of the AFR heads for the thermactor system. Quick trip to the hardware store for some 5/8 x 16 bolts and bronze washers and now with the exception of a noisy release bearing she sounds awesome. Took some pics and video but I had the camera set up for macro mode and they suck. Anyone have thoughts on the release bearing noise. goes away when the clutch is depressed. Do I have something adjusted wrong?
    Boy, that sounds like it could be in the trans. The input shaft is still when the cluch is depressed. and rotates when released. If it was the release bearing it would make noise depressed. At least that is my experience with cars. Unless it is hitting something in the released mode. You may end up pulling the trans to find out. Sorry to hear about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I hope not, the trans is a brand new TKO600. If I don't find the source I'll at least drain the fluid and check for metal this weekend. Think I'll work on those side panels and roof to distract myself for a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working on all the little details and mounting the side panels for a few days. I guess I need to accept I'm only a 5 or 6 at fiberglass work. My plan is to final fit the doors, hood, trunk, side panels, and top then remove them for primer. After any body work and primer they will all be mounted once last time to check fit and function, at which point the teardown and my attempt at painting will begin. I plan on building temporary spray booth like some I've seen on these forums.

PA200009.JPGPA200006.JPGPA200003.JPGPA200004.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Boz! Would you do me a favor when you have a chance and measure the overall height of your rear wheels. I was just curious how it compares with my 19's. Thank you for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, rear looks to be about 26.5 overall diameter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks you Sir. Just checked my tire height on the rear 19s and it matches the height of your 20s. Still need to see if the 10.75" width is a problem. Thanks for the help once again.
    Last edited by esff32; 10-21-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just doing miscellaneous stuff. Mounted the lights, they look cool. I guess you have to really decide whether or not you're gonna run the engine side panels all the time or not because disconnecting the headlight wiring would be a PITA. I've seen some clever ways around this but I'll just have to think about it for a while. I also think I'll attach the spacers inside the panels to the panels so at least aligned all the wiring, spacers, and mounting holes will be easier.

PA230004.JPGPA230005.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    Just doing miscellaneous stuff. Mounted the lights, they look cool. I guess you have to really decide whether or not you're gonna run the engine side panels all the time or not because disconnecting the headlight wiring would be a PITA. I've seen some clever ways around this but I'll just have to think about it for a while. I also think I'll attach the spacers inside the panels to the panels so at least aligned all the wiring, spacers, and mounting holes will be easier.

PA230004.JPGPA230005.JPG
    Looks real good. That is why I split my side panels for easy removal. Maybe FFR will address this in 33 MK2.LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I went and looked closely at your 33 Tom and now I see where you split the side panels. Obviously you did a great job because I hadn't noticed before you said anything.
    On another note I know there may have been a redesign on the mufflers and since mine are relatively fresh has anybody noticed fiberglass coming out of the tailpipes?
    My truck sits behind the 33 and it is covered in what appears to be fiberglass. I would assume it's muffler packing for noise? Heck there is so much when I run the car I rechecked to make sure I didn't mount them backwards. I had heard mention of previous mufflers blowing up so I wonder if they used less or looser packing? The car does seem to sound better the more I run it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks you Sir. Just checked my tire height on the rear 19s and it matches the height of your 20s. Still need to see if the 10.75" width is a problem. Thanks for the help once again.
    Looking at your pics and my car my guess is you're good to go. Carry on !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boz, I hope so. I've just been finishing up some small items, the ebrake being one of them. The linkage hits the bracket underneath, not sure if you had the same problem and what you did to fix it. I saw a thread where they just made a bracket extension and it solved the problem. Kind of a pain, figured something like this would have been dealt with by FFR. I also got my trans tunnel bolted in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boz, I hope so. I've just been finishing up some small items, the ebrake being one of them. The linkage hits the bracket underneath, not sure if you had the same problem and what you did to fix it. I saw a thread where they just made a bracket extension and it solved the problem. Kind of a pain, figured something like this would have been dealt with by FFR. I also got my trans tunnel bolted in.
    Yes mine does hit also. Seems to work okay though. I still need to add a mount for the right cable and they seem to get a little looser as I use the e-brake more so I was going to address the interference issue a little later. I know that tunnel is more work than it first appears, drove me crazy for a few days. When you run your engine will you let me know if fiberglass comes out the exhaust? I imagine mine are newer but I just wonder if this is how they have always been.

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely will Boz, from what I have heard from the other members...it is common. Erik Hansen said his blew out every bit of fiberglass. Many people have gone to Magnaflows. If I dont like the sound after, I will probably switch down the road. Maybe your updated mufflers wont do it.
    Last edited by esff32; 10-24-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I definitely will Boz, from what I have heard from the other members...it is common. Erik Hansen said his blew out every bit of fiberglass. Many people have gone to Magnaflows. If I dont like the sound after, I will probably switch down the road. Maybe your updated mufflers wont do it.
    Okay, at least now I know. The sound with the rear exit exhaust is pretty nice and seems to be getting better. Of course I'm getting the engine dialed in better also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks good. What do you have planned for emissions come registration time with this motor setup? Would love to checkout the build sometime.
    Last edited by mavisky; 10-24-2013 at 09:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mavisky View Post
    Car looks good. What do you have planned for emissions come registration time with this motor setup? Would love to checkout the build sometime.
    From what I can tell it will be exempt, as a "hobby" car. I've printed the title application papers and need to get that going as well. Send me a PM with contact info, you're welcome to check it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Boz. My car has got louder the more I drive it. I have resonators for tips and that seems to help some. Cruiseing it is fine IMO. But I like the sound when I get on it hard. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Looking good Boz. My car has got louder the more I drive it. I have resonators for tips and that seems to help some. Cruiseing it is fine IMO. But I like the sound when I get on it hard. LOL.
    I actually like a little loud so fiberglass be gone !!. After hearing about everyone changing mufflers makes me wonder if they had the side or the rear exhaust??

Post Thanks / Like
    She looks so sinister with the top on. I had to grind a bunch just to get the roof semi-close to fitting. There's more to do before I even consider drilling the first hole. I took the roadster windshied apart to polish the frame. Eventually I'll have it chromed.

PA270006.JPGPA270007.JPGPA270008.JPG

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast