FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Boz's 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, I'm jealous of your new soft top, they look great !!

I found a suitable O-ring today for the sending unit and that seems to have cured the leak problem. Looking at the old one it was tapered after having been installed so long, no wonder it leaked, with the taper, basically the only sealing was from sharp edge contact. I did make use of the unexpected teardown time. I sanded and buffed the waterfall, installed some chrome plugs for the roll bar pin access and made some cables to remove the pins. And since I've been too lazy to order the trim pieces for the seat belts I made some. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple pics of the seatbelt and trunk hinge covers.

P5160001.JPGP5160002.JPGP5160004.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Added the orange stripe, turned out a little more subdued than I thought but it is growing on me. Also glued the upholstery back on the surround piece and the bottom of the seats. Don't know what type of adhesive they used but it did not stick very well. Anyone got any ideas for the headliner? I ordered a larger piece of material so that I could roll the edges around some type of backing to give it a more finished look. I was planning on using aluminum but I'd rather save that to use for the console. I need something light and no more than a 1/4 inch thick. Also need ideas for a headlight disconnect without cutting the side panels.

P5170011.JPGP5170012.JPGP5170014.JPGP5170013.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 05-17-2014 at 06:53 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely a beautiful job. Well done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome Boz! Looks incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom and Evan, you guys keep me motivated, not only with your comments but trying to duplicate some of the great work you do. Really looking forward to the coupe build Tom.
    Picked up a new toy yesterday, mostly for working on the Fairlane though. I did get the spool gun with it, hope it works like you say Evan. Still looking for the perfect headlight disconnect solution though.

P5180015.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    Thanks Tom and Evan, you guys keep me motivated, not only with your comments but trying to duplicate some of the great work you do. Really looking forward to the coupe build Tom.
    Picked up a new toy yesterday, mostly for working on the Fairlane though. I did get the spool gun with it, hope it works like you say Evan. Still looking for the perfect headlight disconnect solution though.

P5180015.JPG
    I got the same unit. I just change out spools when I do Alum. You can look at what I did to my side panels. This allowed me to pull them and leave the headlight alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the headliner installed finally. And since my wife was helping me reinstall the hardtop I used vacuum caps on the studs to protect the car in case she didn't follow instructions, which seems to happen a lot.......

P5190021.JPGP5210023.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

P5180015.JPG
    Nice setup Boz, that ought to work out just fine for you. If you have any welding questions, please dont hesitate to ask. Metal prep is the key, especially when using aluminum.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Great build thread. I just read the whole thing from start to finish. Really nice work.

I’m currently in the planning stages. Hope to order a kit in the next few weeks. I had a 408 engine in a cobra that I had built years ago, and I loved that engine. I thought I had read in some other posts that there would be hood clearance issues with this engine. Also, read that there would be clearance issues for the power steering.

I was wondering if you could share some details of you engine installation. I’m interested in which intake manifold, air cleaner, engine mounts, headers, and oil pan you used. Also, how much room is left between the top of the air cleaner and the hood? Did you use the standard FFR hood? I read your oil pan hangs down about an inch. Did you have any other clearance issues?

Sorry about my long winded first post. Thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fast, I'm using a Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold with a 14X3 Air cleaner. Realistically I have no hood clearance left with the standard hood. The optional hood would have been a better fit. All the engine install stuff is included with the kit. I did the install by myself and although everything is tight the fit is great. Any shorty small block headers will work but do get them ceramic coated. My engine has a stud girdle installed so my oil pan selection was limited to the Canton 7 quart pan that does hang down below the frame. Good luck and enjoy the ride !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boz-

Awesome build, really looks terrific! I like the orange stripe, I think it sets the colors perfectly.

The headliner looks great as well. I have enjoyed your build thread.

Thanks for the cool thread.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Fast, I'm using a Edelbrock RPM air gap manifold with a 14X3 Air cleaner. Realistically I have no hood clearance left with the standard hood. The optional hood would have been a better fit. All the engine install stuff is included with the kit. I did the install by myself and although everything is tight the fit is great. Any shorty small block headers will work but do get them ceramic coated. My engine has a stud girdle installed so my oil pan selection was limited to the Canton 7 quart pan that does hang down below the frame. Good luck and enjoy the ride !!
    Thanks. That helps a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Boz-

Awesome build, really looks terrific! I like the orange stripe, I think it sets the colors perfectly.

The headliner looks great as well. I have enjoyed your build thread.

Thanks for the cool thread.

Regards,

Steve
    Wow, very kind of you Steve, thanks. I feel like I'm an average builder that's getting better all the time and that's really the point of my thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't really like the way FF suggested the roll bar pins should be installed so here's the way I did it, good or bad....you can stuff the cable in the hole and fish it out if needed.

P5250027.JPGP5250028.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been having some trials and tribulations with fuel lately. My fuel pressure has been getting worse and worse. I replaced the fuel pressure gauge and the pump to no avail. Finally pulled the seats and waterfall and found the main feed line was loose, I guess it's been gradually loosening up. Got that tightened (thank god for crows foot wrenches). Everything seemed okay but still had some issues. Woke up yesterday to find fuel on my garage floor. After cleaning that up I found my Summit canister fuel filter was leaking from the canister seal. I was able to tighten that up and now all is finally well. I figured it was break time so I spent the rest of the day porting the intake manifold for the 557 motor. Just needed to vent, thanks........

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been having some trials and tribulations with fuel lately. My fuel pressure has been getting worse and worse. I replaced the fuel pressure gauge and the pump to no avail. Finally pulled the seats and waterfall and found the main feed line was loose, I guess it's been gradually loosening up. Got that tightened (thank god for crows foot wrenches). Everything seemed okay but still had some issues. Woke up yesterday to find fuel on my garage floor. After cleaning that up I found my Summit canister fuel filter was leaking from the canister seal. I was able to tighten that up and now all is finally well. I figured it was break time so I spent the rest of the day porting the intake manifold for the 557 motor. Just needed to vent, thanks........
    Glad you found the leak before something bad happened. I went over everything on the 33 after 250 miles. Well worth the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your build thread has quickly become my favorite.

To me, it just feels like what a kit build should be........All of the work done in one's garage. With a kit entering and (after hours of hard work) a beautiful, drivable work of art, in its place.

Impressive and nicely done....
    Last edited by VD2021; 05-27-2014 at 12:31 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    As always, the kind words are greatly appreciated. After the fixes I did a little test drive and the car is fast. At a 25 mph roll she'll light the tires when you nail the go pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Your build thread has quickly become my favorite.

To me, it just feels like what a kit build should be........All of the work done in one's garage. With a kit entering and (after hours of hard work) a beautiful, drivable work of art, in its place.

Impressive and nicely done....
    Well said ! Couldn't agree more. Take your time, do it once, do it right and do it yourself !
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nik, I wish I was the electrical superstar you are !!. Been following your electrical adventures, impressive to say the least.

I finally had someone work on the car besides myself. The glass guy came by today and charged me 85.00 to install the glass. Now that I watched I would surely attempt it myself but for the price I couldn't beat it. I also picked another toy, a 1973 Jeep Commando with 63k original miles. She drives like the Queen Mary, a little terrifying at first but than you get your sea legs and it's not so bad.

P5280004.JPGP5280003.JPGP5280001.JPGP5280008.JPGP5280007.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I also picked another toy, a 1973 Jeep Commando with 63k original miles. She drives like the Queen Mary, a little terrifying at first but than you get your sea legs and it's not so bad.
    So, it being a Commando and driving like the Queen Mary, do you need to pass Navy Seal training now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Nik, I wish I was the electrical superstar you are !!. Been following your electrical adventures, impressive to say the least.

I finally had someone work on the car besides myself. The glass guy came by today and charged me 85.00 to install the glass. Now that I watched I would surely attempt it myself but for the price I couldn't beat it. I also picked another toy, a 1973 Jeep Commando with 63k original miles. She drives like the Queen Mary, a little terrifying at first but than you get your sea legs and it's not so bad.

P5280004.JPGP5280003.JPGP5280001.JPGP5280008.JPGP5280007.JPG
    being a a jeep dealer all I have to say is WOW.... In fact let me say that again backwards... WOW! Love it
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    really nice build! Love the two tone. How did you attach the headliner?

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the '33 as I have told you, but I am curious to see how the Commando turns out!

She looks like she is in pretty great shape for her age.

I hope you keep us updated. Great find!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
    really nice build! Love the two tone. How did you attach the headliner?
    Thanks Arrowhead, wish I had a blower though !!

As far as the headliner I ordered a new piece off Ebay. I then cut the FF part to fit my top perfectly (which it did not). I then cut the Ebay part approximately 1.5-2 inches larger all around. Glued the two pieces together (Sticky Stuff) and using contact cement I carefully rolled the new headliner over the FF part. That made the edges rolled instead of just die cut. After positioning the headliner on the top I glued from the center out, again with Sticky Stuff and used contact cement on any part of the edge I thought might not be secure. Not sure if I described that very well but the result is a headliner that's double thickness and has a rolled edge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    I love the '33 as I have told you, but I am curious to see how the Commando turns out!

She looks like she is in pretty great shape for her age.

I hope you keep us updated. Great find!

Regards,

Steve
    Not sure exactly what my plans for her are yet, resto or just keep as a survivor. I will say I did a full tune up on her (parts were included) including points and condenser. Wow that's been a long time since I've done that. I also found a previous repair on the fuel line that was leaking but thanks to some leftover fuel line from my 33 kit I made and bent a new steel line and now she purrs like a kitten.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678