FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: LS3 intake routing

Post Thanks / Like

LS3 intake routing

Has anyone got a solution for installing the air intake in the 33HR using an LS3 engine?
    The intake is 4" diameter and the install manual says the mass flow meter needs to be 10" away from the throttle body. With that 10" plus the cone filter. I'm not seeing a way to fit this in? Suggestions anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Tigerbill,

I fit mine by changing to a shorter filter and angling the intake down toward the passenger front wheel. It's a bit of tight fit around my radiator hoses, but it fits inside the body lines.

Data

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pictures data? That's helpful! I'll do something similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Data, What did you do about the engine coolant vent on the front of the heads. I was told that the
    vent must be routed to the top of the radiator. Also how did you route the pcv valve.

Thanks for any help you can provide, Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry, I drilled and tapped a hole in the water pump outlet and connected the two with a short piece of rubber tubing (see pic). I had seen that suggested somewhere on the forum. I put about 900 miles on the car before I took it back apart to start painting and had no issues.

image.jpg
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Larry,
    The best description is using the pictures in this thread. The steam vent I put into the upper radiator hose. I used a radiator hose coupler with a draincock in it, and replaced the draincock with a 90 degree 1/4 NPT-Barbed adapter. I didn't feel like drilling/tapping the water pump, and have seen just as many guys do it the way I did as tapping into the pump. The best method is to get a shop to weld a bung into the top of the radiator, but there are PLENTY of folks running LS motors with it plumbed into the hose OR the water pump.

As for the PCV, the EROD already had a connection from the front valley cover port to the intake manifold, so I didn't have to do anything with it. It's hidden underneath the purge valve in the pictures above. Picture below taken from the ERod install instructions.

I connected the Fresh Air port to the intake tube with a press-in adapter from the local auto parts store (visible in the pictures in this thread).

Data

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey thanks for getting back to me so fast. I like the idea of using the hose coupler with the draincock. For the PCV valve, I ran a hose from the drivers side rear valve cover to a tee between the throttle body and the valley pan outlet. I called Chev performance and they e-mailed me a picture showing how they recommend doing the PCV system.

Thanks again for your input, Larry

LS PCV without Catch Can.JPG