Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stickshift84's Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    One benefit of plastidip over paint is if the body cracks somewhere it does not show. The dip is permanently flexible. I already has this happen and you would never know. I figure the plastidip is perfect to atleast make the car look good and for the body to develop any problems before I either redo it again or end up painting it.

Paint is definitely a better permanent option as it is easier to fix small imperfections if needed and is overall more durable. I can say the dip is very abrasion resistant and resistant to any chips ( I have had it on the front of my mustang for years without any problem.

As far as using pearls with plastidip, it does look awesome but I am not sure the finish is as durable as a standard color plastidip. Time will tell how it works out.

One negative to plastidip is it will be stained by gasoline so you have to be very careful when filling up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the passenger door back together last night.

IMG_20140825_224822.jpg
    IMG_20140825_225006.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice interior, looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 elegant and functional What. No cup holders! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Registered, insured, inspected, and first drive was yesterday. Big smile on my face. No problems. Everything went smooth. I managed to get it on the road for my 30th birthday (today). All I can say is this thing is absolutely awesome and is worth all the time and money spent. Will provide more feedback as I drive it and tune it further.IMG_20140907_171343.jpg
    IMG_20140907_171447.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy Birthday and congratulations
    Looks awesome
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    No temp tags? Congrats though, I hope to be celebrating the same accomplishment next summer when I turn 30. The car looks great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the picture before the tags went on. They are on now. Will get some better pictures this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    That thing looks amazing. Great work man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow awesome!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I've been thinking about dipping mine as well. I shared your photos with my wife, her response? "that's gorgeous. Yours is screaming....dip me baby, dip me!!!"

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks really good! Do you mind sharing your plasti-sip experience? Difficulty, prep work, time involved, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    nice job making the FFR facebook page. Car looks awesome.

PS is that bat wrap on the roll bar?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took the girlfriend and then her son for the first two rides tonight. They loved it.
    IMG_20140912_194847.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    The roll bar is wrapped with grip tape from McMaster Carr. I did this as I had to touch up the powdercoat in that area as the body wore it away. The wrap protects and cushions the tight fit in that area.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will do a plasti dip guide another time when I have more time.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    some bad news is after having trouble trying to tune it I found low compression in cylinders 2 and 4. Rebuild time for me.

Please everyone to take note and ensure the health of your engine before installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I drove the car for around 80 miles keeping rpms below 4000 for the most part. Saw boost numbers as high as 11 psi.

With my extra intercooler ducting I monitored intercooler temperatures. While driving/moving the temperature of air in the manifold would settle between 110-120 degrees. Turbo outlet temps before the intercooler were around 180 when in boost.

When parked after driving the temperature would get up over 140 in the manifold. Driving after parking took a few minutes to settle back down. Everything heat soaks when parked. Not sure if an air to air intercooler would be a problem with a street car. Track/autocross I would anticipate problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It seems a lot of people are having issues with the intercoolers. :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify for everyone. I am not having any problems with my intercooler. I am providing information on the functionality of the intercooler only to aide in the decisions of others. Engine problem existed from the donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice pictures. What prep you did on the body before plastidipping? Maybe you mentioned already, I'll read earlier post and see.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickshift84 View Post
    Just to clarify for everyone. I am not having any problems with my intercooler. I am providing information on the functionality of the intercooler only to aide in the decisions of others. Engine problem existed from the donor.
    You have yet to have an issue with the intercooler is a better way to put it. Your running 12psi right?, and you were not staying in boost long and driving short distances in 70 degree max weather. Once you turn boost up and drive it for real like it's intended and it's hot outside is when you will see a major problem. Isn't it a car you wanna drive fast and stay in boost I would think. I am not saying the air to air can't work guys , just not in it's current form under hard load, and Nick setup the ducting exactly as FFR intended. His car is looking great and I am going to help him through this difficult time.

It is obvious you had motor issue from your donor and it is a shame, I feel the pain bro!! But you got options and an extra hand anytime.
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been planning on painting mine black but after seeing yours.... the lighter color allows the black trim pieces and add ons to show better.... looks really nice. Red just doesn't accomplish the same thing somehow.

Sorry to hear of your engine troubles, but use it as an opportunity to build a crazy motor that makes way more power than you'll ever need!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I luv that color. Was thinking of matte blue vinyl wrap. What kinda of time did you put into making everything fit tight and what kinda of body prep before you coated it? Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    12psi right?,
    Awww, that's cute.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you have in the way of heat shielding for the intercooler? Are you using a turbo blanket, heat shield, and/or gold tape on the bottom side of the intercooler itself? You mention heat soak is primarily an issue when sitting, but then cools down a bit after driving and then jump to the statement that you anticipate a problem for track/autocross. How do you make that jump? Not saying it isn't true (particularly with all the sitting around at an autocross), but can you elaborate a bit?

I'm hoping to avoid the cost of upgrading to an air-to-water intercooler and thinking a bit of planning as far as heat insulation/shielding will go a long way. Glad there are so many guinea pigs ahead of me as I'm just getting started! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    First quick post. When filling up your gas tank just take our time and only insert the nozzle a little bit. Worked out fine tis time with no dripping but also did not completely fill the tank.

On a side note, remember to put your gas cap back on. I got home after a drive and panicked when I forgot to. Luckily I had put the cap on the engine cover and it had managed to go into the intercooler duct opening and stayed trapped on my ducting. Got lucky lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    While my engine has been hurt I have been focusing on trying to optimize the TMIC/AAIC design. See the pictures below to see what I have done for extra ducting. Essentially what I did was better duct from the openings in the engine cover to the intercooler, somewhat seal the top of the intercooler to the engine cover, and box behind the intercooler (as best as I could for now). Hopefully this draws air through the core and out the upper duct in the trunk lid. I also added a gauge with thermocouples that is measuring air temperature prior to the intercooler and inside of the manifold.

IMG_20141009_210621.jpgIMG_20141009_210629.jpgIMG_20141009_210639.jpgIMG_20141009_210653.jpgIMG_20141009_210710.jpgIMG_20141009_210717.jpgIMG_20141009_210912.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    While driving the car I have not seen manifold air temperatures over 130 degrees. This is while revving to a maximum of 5k and seeing a max boost of about 14 psi. Ambient air has been in the 60-70 degree range around here. While cruising tonight temperatures were between 100-110 degrees and when driving aggressively around an empty parking lot (2nd gear speeds) temps got up to the mid 120s. On a side note I saw temperatures up to around 190 degrees pre intercooler tonight.

Temperatures within the intake manifold get into the mid 140s when parked with the engine and trunk covers closed after driving. I believe due to heat soak. Temperatures get back below 130 when driving for a few minutes.

My plan is to work with Chris (metalmaker) and use his gopro to get some videos of the gauge during different driving situations. If anybody is interested in that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Samiam1017, I spent a lot of time fitting the body. Was not too bad really but I went into it planning to take my time and get it all as close as possible before drilling any holes. I am happy with how it came out but it is not perfect. That being said the issues are ones that only I really see. After fitting the body I got overly aggressive with sandpaper and trying to perfect the lines. This resulted in a lot of extra time smoothing the panels to get the paint ready. I also had a lot of the same cracking/void spaces within the fiberglass/gelcoat which took a bunch of time to fix. In the end though it came out great.

If I were to do it again I would fit the body and only fix the body where cracks/chips developed and then plastidip it. All the extra body work had little to no benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan is to work with Chris (metalmaker) and use his gopro to get some videos of the gauge during different driving situations. If anybody is interested in that?
    Definitely interested. I'm sure many others are as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We will be collecting a lot of data and try to help everyone out with this data. I will be running Wayne's setup with road testing and dyno runs to see if I can get the same results. Nicks going to stay with the aaic for now and we will be trying to maximize its efficiency. Stay tuned.....lol
    818S frame #13 Jdm version 8 ej207

Post Thanks / Like
    If I were to do it again I would fit the body and only fix the body where cracks/chips developed and then plastidip it. All the extra body work had little to no benefit.
    What level finish do you think is need for plastidip to hide the rest?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12