BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internal CV Spline Mismatch

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been searching, perhaps in the wrong place, but i wasn't able to find any LSD's designed to use the 06-07 axles.

Post Thanks / Like
    They make them, they're just not cheap.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    They make them, they're just not cheap.
    Know who makes them Mechie3? I'm assuming $1500+

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    the Quaife uses 02-04 axles. I have one in my 05 transaxle and had to buy new front axles with male inner cv joints. I picked up my Quaife about a year ago for $1033 and had it installed for 2 hrs labor at a local Subaru dealer

The OBX clone that Erik used (see his rebuild thread) also uses 02-04 axles. It cost around $500
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I haven't ordered the Amazon CV because the photo shows a female outer housing and my 06 needs a male housing. However, the photo shows 29 splines which is good. Indeed this is confusing!

My Subaru dealer parts guy says they don't have rebuilt CVs for the turbo models and the new front inner CV is $221! Arrgh!
    I'll keep looking.
    Pete
    I just got my transmission back from the shop where a Quaife was installed in my 2006 donors transmission and now I am in the same boat as everyone else. I just ordered a set from Ebay for $113 shipped that are compatible with the 2002. Since it is just the inner (at transmission) I am hopeful that this is what was needed to fit the FF axles. Once they arrive and I can confirm they work I will post where I got them and the part numbers.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the gearbox casing seals at the inner CV joints are different between the 2002/2004 models (male shafts) and the 2006 (female).
    Can anyone confirm this?
    I'm installing an OBX (male shafts) into a 2006 and I think I have the CV's sorted, but may be short 2 seals to suit the early model.
    If they are different, does anyone know the part number for the early seals?
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    I believe the gearbox casing seals at the inner CV joints are different between the 2002/2004 models (male shafts) and the 2006 (female).
    Can anyone confirm this?
    I'm installing an OBX (male shafts) into a 2006 and I think I have the CV's sorted, but may be short 2 seals to suit the early model.
    If they are different, does anyone know the part number for the early seals?
    Cheers

I installed a TSB (Not an OBX, but should me be the same seal wise). Yes, you have to use the earlier stub axle seals. I just yanked the old ones out, then tapped the new ones in with a big socket. Just make sure not to tap them to hard, or too far down. You want them flush with the case. There is a right and left seal (they have small arrows on the seals). Lightly lube with some oil before tapping them in.
    Part numbers I used are-

806730042 (Left)
    806730041 (Right)

They are cheap- Grab a couple of each to be safe.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 11-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Chad, much appreciated
    I agree, a couple of each and keep them as spares if not used
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    I haven't ordered the Amazon CV because the photo shows a female outer housing and my 06 needs a male housing. However, the photo shows 29 splines which is good. Indeed this is confusing!

My Subaru dealer parts guy says they don't have rebuilt CVs for the turbo models and the new front inner CV is $221! Arrgh!
    I'll keep looking.
    Pete

I ordered these, part number 0811-1002 to be specific. I just test fit them and they match the new axles that came with the kit and the output shafts on the Quaife differential I had installed in my 2006 transmission. So for anyone having this issue it is a simple and cheap solution as they were only around 50/each shipped.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for clarity, please help me know if I am correct.... I have an 06 WRX, I am installing an OBX LSD, I received the axles from FFR that are for the 06 WRX. If I order the inner cv 0811-1002 from above and use the remaining parts from the 06, and the axles from FFR, I will be good? I am just trying to ensure I do not burn through any more money than needed. Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NISMO_RB25 View Post
    I ordered these, part number 0811-1002 to be specific. I just test fit them and they match the new axles that came with the kit and the output shafts on the Quaife differential I had installed in my 2006 transmission. So for anyone having this issue it is a simple and cheap solution as they were only around 50/each shipped.
    I can tell you they fit. I ordered those. I'm having the issue of finding the outside CV joint in 29. I don't want to play CV Axel Roulette, but it looks like I will have to.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply, I will order them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I used a cusco rs 1.5, same as FFR 818R, which I had to use the 06 male inners because the 02-04 stubs lock in place from the inside and you only have access with an open oem diff. Once you put a LSD closed diff, you can no longer lock the 02-04 stubs in, so the 06 inner cv is needed. This is true for all LSD for 5 spd trannies. I have pics if need be
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 11-26-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, reviving an old thread...
    I am having the same issue with the FFR axels (29/29 spline) and aftermarket (Trakmotive brand) cv axles, where the rear outer cv's do not have the 29 splines. Has anyone found an aftermarket rear axle with the 29 splines for the outer cv joint?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll check my receipts to get you a part Number tomorrow. I believe it was napa that ended up having OEM rebuilds. The shape, size and markings on the outside of the cvs and shafts are good indicators that it's OEM rebuilt. You just need to print out a known good set on paper and bring it in the verify it at the parts store. Most sell aftermarket as rebuilt from my experience. It was a nightmare.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You guys know that FFR sells drop in complete halfshafts right?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    At some point in the past it was posted that they were selling them, but neither the brochure nor the online parts catalog show them. Anyone know where FF hid the information?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UnhipPopano View Post
    At some point in the past it was posted that they were selling them, but neither the brochure nor the online parts catalog show them. Anyone know where FF hid the information?

If you look on the 818 order sheet they are listed near the bottom of the options
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Whitby Motorsports only supplies the axle shafts. No complete half shafts for the Canadian completion kit. Bummer.

Post Thanks / Like
    carrera1984 - were you able to get a part number on the OEM rebuilds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshelman27 View Post
    carrera1984 - were you able to get a part number on the OEM rebuilds?
    I have written down NMD 952299. Napa auto parts. Originally the guy said they could have been aftermarket when they didn't have cores but now they have so many cores there all oem remans. Do not get the NMD 942079 . That's the new aftermarket. I would bring in pictures of what a known oem housing is and compare with the parts guy before you buy. That's what I did. If I remember I'll post up a pic tomorrow. Works been a ***** lately so I'll do my best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another option would be to call up Detroit Axle and order one up. They do new oem remans and aftermarket remans when there out. Just explain that the shipping department needs to confirm with a parts guy/manager that only oem remans to be sent...tell em spline issue bla bla bla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Reviving this thread to vent my frustrations. I bought my project from another party who started it as a non donor build. I have an 04 transmission from a forester Xt, and front hubs from an 02 Impreza and rear hubs from an 04 Impreza . I've had to buy four axles just for the outer cv stubs since the inner ones didn't work with the forester transmission. I recently bought two front axles for the inner cv joints. When they arrived I checked to see if they fit the tranny, good news they slipped in perfectly. Today I decided that I should tackle this messy job of pulling the ends off an finish the axles. I got one apart and started transferring the parts to the FFR axles when I noticed the splines don't match I looked in the pile of partial axles I have accumulated and took apart one of the inner cv joints and the splines matched . One axle done. I took apart the other axle, the spline count was the same but the diameter of the part was too big it just spun on the end of the FFR axle. now what, a other axle just for the inner part with the right spline count and correct diameter ? the stress reducer on my wall wasn't enough. Thanks for the time to vent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Reviving this thread to vent my frustrations. I bought my project from another party who started it as a non donor build. I have an 04 transmission from a forester Xt, and front hubs from an 02 Impreza and rear hubs from an 04 Impreza . I've had to buy four axles just for the outer cv stubs since the inner ones didn't work with the forester transmission. I recently bought two front axles for the inner cv joints. When they arrived I checked to see if they fit the tranny, good news they slipped in perfectly. Today I decided that I should tackle this messy job of pulling the ends off an finish the axles. I got one apart and started transferring the parts to the FFR axles when I noticed the splines don't match I looked in the pile of partial axles I have accumulated and took apart one of the inner cv joints and the splines matched . One axle done. I took apart the other axle, the spline count was the same but the diameter of the part was too big it just spun on the end of the FFR axle. now what, a other axle just for the inner part with the right spline count and correct diameter ? the stress reducer on my wall wasn't enough. Thanks for the time to vent.
    I had good luck finding a Subaru performance/rally shop (can't remember name) in the northwest that had some of the green OEM joints. They sent me two front inners that worked perfect. My donor had the OEM rear axles, so that was one less headache.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's just frustrating that I just need an spider tripod assembly to fit the FFR axle and the inner cv joint. I bought an inner cv joint and spider assembly from Amazon. Hopefully it's the right size. Who said Subarus are like Legos?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flynntuna; 06-10-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    SUCCESS! The new inner cv joint and spider assembly came in today. It fits! Axles done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12