Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Right hand drive coolant pipes

Post Thanks / Like

Right hand drive coolant pipes

I can’t post on the technical forum yet, still got training wheels on!

Does anyone know why both coolant pipes are required to go down the left hand some of the car, yet for left hand drive cars they can either side? I’m running out of space down the left side of the car!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kiwi,
    My car was partially assembled when I bought it. The 2002 (2.0) engine has the left side W/P coolant nipple projecting left. The right side coolant nipple projects forward with a rubber elbow facing down.
    My radiator has the top tank nipple just left of center and the lower tank nipple is on the left. My car had one tube on the right and one tube on the left as the manual instructs. The flex plumbing in the front compartment is awkward but basically the left side tube routes to the bottom tank, the right tube to the top.
    My experience is that routing through the frame and footboards to the front compartment is restricted and at risk of interfering with the front tires at turning lock. I think getting both tubes through a common side restriction is difficult or impossible.
    My intension it to fabricate hard tubes with welded elbows to reduce plumbing cross section and minimize couplings.
    Where are you in New Zealand? We have car-toured from Auckland to Wellington/Christchurch/Queenstown/Kaikoura. Best experience ever. You should be proud of your environments, your Nation and your culture. Good on you.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your thoughts. I wondered whether there was a technical reason why the manual specifically says RHD put both tubes down the left side of the car. Maybe not.

We are in Christchurch. Have been here for 11 years (just before the EQ). Previously lived in Wellington. Moved out in 1998 for a 2 year secondment with work - and stayed. We love it here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi818 View Post
    I can’t post on the technical forum yet, still got training wheels on!

Does anyone know why both coolant pipes are required to go down the left hand some of the car, yet for left hand drive cars they can either side? I’m running out of space down the left side of the car!
    The coolant pipes protrude into the foot well. I suspect it would interfere with the gas pedal on right-hand drive cars.
    Bob

Bob's quote for the day: The guys at factory five are engineers, so everything they do is for a reason. Sometimes we just can't figure out what that reason was.
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 05-24-2021 at 01:50 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    “Kia ora”
    Bob makes a good point. I have not rigged the throttle yet.
    If you have throttle-by-wire it might not be an issue.
    Either way consider weld-elbows for smaller cross section. I get mine from Vibrant.
    Double left will make things warmer for your passenger, but oh yeah, you Southerners are closer to Antarctica than the North Island.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    They may want to keep the hot water pipes away from the driver's foot. The passenger can move the foot away from the hot pipe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just found another "double" application. In Hobby Racer's and others running the water cooled intercooler, the additional radiator is in front with two more lines running to the back of the car. (2) radiator lines on the left and (2) intercooler lines on the right.
    BTW SnailFoot, my wife would not accept that compromise.

8. Likes SnailFoot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your thoughts. Another builder in NZ has found a ceramic paint for the coolant tubes so they don’t get hot so I’m going to use that and fit it down the drivers side. A lot easier rather than trying to cram all the pipes and leads down the left side.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree I don't think mine would either.