Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: WANTED: 818 Front lower shock mounts

Post Thanks / Like

WANTED: 818 Front lower shock mounts

We're looking for a pair of these, plus a single bolt (M10-1.5 x 35, class 10.9):
    IMG_4355.jpg

Does anyone happen to have these leftover from their build? Maybe somebody who did something different with their suspension?

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to reach out to FFR, they'll probably send you a free pair. They've always been good about small items like this sometimes that get overlooked.

Post Thanks / Like
    That would defeat my goal of sourcing parts from as many other builders on this forum as possible!
    The list so far: Bob_n_Cincy, lancecorsi (some sheet metal I got from Bob had Lance's name on it), aquillen, Jim_Lev, Ajzride, Mechie3

FFR is my back-up plan.

4. Likes DSR-3 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fletch, Those mounts are primarily in compression, unless the suspension is unloaded. 10.9 is rated 142,000 PSI just under a SAE 3/8 grade 8 at 150,000 psi. Either is overkill IMO. Grade 8 is typical of crankshaft, rod caps and head bolts.
    Your LCA pivot shaft fasteners are 10.9, but they are heavily loaded in shear.

My pre-owned 818 has a mix of metric and SAE which is frustrating. Yesterday I removed the rear suspension tower crossmember to find an M10 nut jammed on a 1/2 inch bolt. BTW the front and rear spring/shock mount bolts are 1/2 inch grade 5 which is 110,000 psi.

I get most of my onesie twosie fasteners at my Ace or True Value who have fantastic selections. (not cheap) Fastinol is a local fastener dealer network.
    If you are sweating the strength and metric is not available, SAE 3/8 grade 8 would do.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jim. I'm sure I can pick up a replacement bolt at my local ACE. They stock lots of goodies there. The class 10.9 was just what I read off the fasteners FFR supplied. I'm not surprised they might be overkill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fletch, If I had a fastener Bill of Material, we might find that fastener used in more than one place. Economies of scale.
    Speaking of economy, my rust belt donor fasteners do not present well. I saw you powder coating nuts. I wonder how much the plating kits are for renewing fasteners. The risk is the plating build-up on threads making them hard to assemble and throwing off assembly torque.
    I like stainless fasteners which are about grade 5, but that gets expensive.
    I have been wire brushing and soaking in POR metal prep which gives them a temporary protection from rust. They ain't pretty.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Fletch, A recent fastener experience occurred to me, relative to fastener markings.
    I prefer metric fasteners, they are sized and marked appropriately and I have relied on the markings to differentiate between SAE and metric.

I recently rebuilt a 1968 Corvette 300hp 327 engine. I fitted it with new parts from Rockauto. The Victor Reinz / FelPro head gasket set recommended new head bolts. (the head bolts thread through the water jackets)
    The head bolt kit (three lengths) are 7/16-14. and the bolt heads are marked 10.9!! Another identification complication.
    BTW assembly required the threads to be sealed, and the old bolts were goobered with silicone. The new FelPro bolt threads had sealant pre-applied, which is terrific.
    BBTW the 327 is for sale, all original, stock bore, fresh heads, 13K miles.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Fletch, My curiosity about the head bolts marked as a metric led me to research on what might be a new format.
    Eventually I Googled the FelPro headbolt kit and found them listed at Summit/Speedway. They are speced as M11 X 2.0
    I never heard of M11. I am assuming that dimension is compatible with 7/16 - 14 which is a little cringy. Still a company like FelPro should know what they are doing. Obviously they torqued-up properly.
    jim