Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: insulating tank

Post Thanks / Like

insulating tank

I was watching PowerBlock on TV this weekend and they did something interesting that I was thinking would be a good idea for us to consider. In order to keep fuel temps down a bit and thus (theoricially) increase power(denser/cooler fuel going into the engine), they sprayed the exterior of their fuel tank with LizardSkin thermal Ceramic Insulation.

Questions: Does anyone know if this would really make a difference (especially in a hot climate like I am in AZ)? And is there any reason not to do it because it would cause a problem with the tank itself to be sprayed like this?

Naturally I don't want to make this into a debate on LizardSkin's claim on how much they reduce the tempartures (or not). I have however seen on other threads here that folks have used this produce (or other similar ones) to spray on their floor pans to reduce thermal transfer from the street. Thoughs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With all the uninsinuated lines and hardware between the tank and engine I don’t think it will make any difference but I don’t think it will hurt anything.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I realize the fuel would heat up while flowing thru the lines, but that is only for a short period of time (while driving), thus it shouldn't completely negate the benefit from it starting out 15+ degrees cooler (Lizard Skin says up to 30 degrees). Also since the tank sits right next to the motor, I have to believe it could get quite hot. No reason to let the fuel become a big thermal reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by anejo99 View Post
    No reason to let the fuel become a big thermal reservoir.
    Might help with gas mileage!

Post Thanks / Like
    Plus you could insulate as much of those fuel lines as possible. If you have a hot water heater in your house, you can wrap it with insulation, and also wrap the pipes in insulation. So why wouldn't the same work for the fuel tank (except, yeah, you are trying to keep heat out, not in, but otherwise same concept).

Post Thanks / Like
    anejo99-

I saw the episode as well, and had the same feeling; what harm could come from doing this to the tank? I can only see upside frankly, and whether or not you insulate the fuel lines, the fuel is not in those lines very long, and wouldn't heat up to a point that would overcome the benefits in my opinion.

I have added the mod to my build plan, of for no other reason than I am already using Lizard skin, and I don't see any harm coming from using it on the tank. I don't think I have helped, except to say that I agree with your thought process.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that any insulation would only slow down the heat build up inside a tank. To test if it would help take 2 steel cans and paint the outside of one with LizardSkin. Fill both up with water and place them in the sun and keep checking the water temps and air temp and record the values. I would think the water would heat up slower than the air but would be close to the same after a while and the difference in the 2 water temps will tell you how well LizardSkin will work for your tank.

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I am planning on using the lizard skin for the floor plans and such, thus adding the fuel tank to the list of items to spray makes sense to me too. The only down side is a little more cost of product, but I too see only up otherwise.