Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Tanks Design Defect

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Tanks Design Defect

I have read a few posts about problems with the FF fuel tank design, which I would expect FF to correct as part of the evolution of the kits. It seems to me that builders should not have to throw away parts, and buy third party components. I read one post that indicated they may have released a new tank, but it wan't clear if the problems have been corrected. Has FF corrected the fuel tank design problems? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my car in February, 2013. I think it had a larger vent than previous tanks, but the fill inlet was still at the mid point of the tank and the level gauge would necessarily read full all the way down to where the tank was actually half full since it was mounted in the lower shoulder of the tank. I went with the Boyd tank and never installed the FF tank. I'm not sure if they have made changes since then.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is nothing "wrong" with the FFR supplied tank, there are a lot of us still using it without problems. That being said, the Boyd tank does address many of the "short-comings" that people have expressed about the FFR tank. I can live with the FFR tank and use the money that I would spend on the Boyd tank on other parts. Just my opinion.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    They sound like serious "short comings", which indicate something is wrong. Fuel tanks aren't that difficult to design, or refine the bugs out of. Maybe it's because I'm an engineer, and in my world I have to get things right, but I also don't like to do things more than once if I can avoid a hassle. I have built several cars and I know it's wishful thinking to plan for minimal hassles, but it also appears to be an easily corrected design defect.

Is there any other input from a recent builder? I will request a credit fromm FF, if I have to buy a Boyd tank.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Close Out Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Andrew View Post
    I have read a few posts about problems with the FF fuel tank design, which I would expect FF to correct as part of the evolution of the kits. It seems to me that builders should not have to throw away parts, and buy third party components. I read one post that indicated they may have released a new tank, but it wan't clear if the problems have been corrected. Has FF corrected the fuel tank design problems? Thanks.
    Tony tells me that the fuel tank problems have been corrected at the factory. So we can close out this tread.