BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone noticed how little you can turn the wheel before it hits the frame,ect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Front / Rear optimum sizes: 215/45/17 Front and 255/35/18
    So I was right then. I thought there could have been a typo but no. tnx.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    Checking tirerack for extreme performance summer in 215/40/17, gives only the Dunlop Direzza and the Yokohama Advan AD08, which are both about 23.7 or 23.8 OD.

Guess it was a good idea to hold off for a while
    Hold off? You got something against the AD08s?
    Last edited by Frank818; 09-10-2013 at 11:18 AM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    you forget...I have the same problem but I was quite clear...I did not follow the recommended FFR tire size selection...
    Well yeah precisely. That means if you don't follow the recommended size you have a lot of chances to either have clearance issues or reduce your tire selection (according to C.Plavan).
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Actually, it will be less than a 1/2" rake. The ~0.9 inch difference is diameter, not radius...
    Duh......... Right you are!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not really happy about this either...

It was going to be hard enough to find the tires I was hoping for but now tire rack has only 10 options for front tires in that size... :/

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure a lot of guys are going to find ways to run a larger tire up front, including Erik. I think everyone should calm down a bit. There are numerous ways to increase caster, effectively giving you a little more rear clearance. My goal is at a very minimum of a 225/40/18 up front.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I should clarify myself here. I made the decision to buy wheels and tires before FFR had recommendations. There for I am at fault not FFR. Chances are I would not had this problem if I bought the correct stuff. I realize some want to use different stuff and don't mind figuring it out. I did not want to cause a firestorm here. I appologize for upsetting anyone unintentionaly. I still think this is something in gen 2 may need looking at. I will do what I need to make it work as well as others. After all it is a new kit and will have some issues along the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I guess I should clarify myself here. I made the decision to buy wheels and tires before FFR had recommendations. There for I am at fault not FFR. Chances are I would not had this problem if I bought the correct stuff. I realize some want to use different stuff and don't mind figuring it out. I did not want to cause a firestorm here. I appologize for upsetting anyone unintentionaly. I still think this is something in gen 2 may need looking at. I will do what I need to make it work as well as others. After all it is a new kit and will have some issues along the way.
    No need to apologize. You brought a potential problem to daylight, which will help others avoid making the same mistake. I probably would have made the mistake too, because I would be using narrower tires than recommended, and it would not have occurred to me that tire profile would be an issue. Happily, for me it is just a matter of dropping down one level of profile rating. My first choice of tire brand and model is still available in that size. It may not be such a simple fix for others, but at least now they know. It really isn't about blaming (or not blaming) FFR. It's just something people need to know.

Thanks for bringing it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already made the appropriate adjustments to my plan - this isn't a deal killer by any means. Still, it does bother me that stock WRX wheels with stock tires won't work (they are 24.8" - 25.1" in diameter). Like has been said, something for FFR to think about addressing with Gen 2.

And if FFR is reading this, I think there are a fair amount of us that would be perfectly happy with a slightly longer wheelbase if it meant better clearance for wheels/tire, more leg room / larger gas tank, and more clearance for longer engines like the EG33.

Just sayin'...

Post Thanks / Like
    I totally agree with Xusia!

As long as the longer wheelbase doesn't jeopardize the whole handling behavior FFR was targeting (and I think they hit the target according to many people's impressions).
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Still, it does bother me that stock WRX wheels with stock tires won't work (they are 24.8" - 25.1" in diameter).
    I think this is the real reason people were baffled their tire selection didn't fit.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where the 215/45/17 not fitting is coming from, my answer was to the question of 225/40/18. The 215/40/17 and 215/35/18 I mention are the optimum sizes in my opinion, which is not the same as saying they are the max sizes. Our first two tests on the red 818 were all run on 215/45/17s and they fit fine with no rubbing. From driving the cars the 215/40/17 front and 255/35/18 rear was the best balance when the car is being pushed hard, however the car was designed from the onset to be able to run donor wheels and tires which is the 215/45/17s. (The 205/55/16s will also work because of their narrow width) Its the combo of 225 width and over 25 inches in diameter that does not work without modification. We have also run several different sizes and brands of DOT and Non-DOT race tires, the key with those is to check the actual specs as so many of them are designed to meet a certain spec class and they don't always fit the same as street sizes, but they are readily available.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok here it is with the correct tire size. I swapped out my 225/40 R18 to a 215/35 R18 and I have 1/4" clearance on the frame and slight touch on the alum. I can Massage the alum easy to clear. This is at 4.5" ride height and full lock on the rack to the left. Thanks Jim for setting me straight. It pays to wait for the correct specs. My bad to begin with. I hope this makes everyone feel a little better.

81830.jpg81832.jpg81831.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Tnx Wallace.

Are those Yoko S.Drive tires?
    On Tire Rack they are the only available in 215/35/18.
    They are 23.9" dia.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Kumho Ecsta AST from discount tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    Not sure where the 215/45/17 not fitting is coming from, my answer was to the question of 225/40/18. The 215/40/17 and 215/35/18 I mention are the optimum sizes in my opinion, which is not the same as saying they are the max sizes. Our first two tests on the red 818 were all run on 215/45/17s and they fit fine with no rubbing. From driving the cars the 215/40/17 front and 255/35/18 rear was the best balance when the car is being pushed hard, however the car was designed from the onset to be able to run donor wheels and tires which is the 215/45/17s. (The 205/55/16s will also work because of their narrow width) Its the combo of 225 width and over 25 inches in diameter that does not work without modification. We have also run several different sizes and brands of DOT and Non-DOT race tires, the key with those is to check the actual specs as so many of them are designed to meet a certain spec class and they don't always fit the same as street sizes, but they are readily available.
    Jim, thanks for clarifying this. I obviously wasn't taking the narrower width of the stock wheels into account when looking at the diameter limitations - my mistake. I'm glad to know the stock wheels & tires will work. My donor's wheels are shot, so I have to get new ones anyway, but right about now I'm super glad I waited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    Our first two tests on the red 818 were all run on 215/45/17s and they fit fine with no rubbing....................however the car was designed from the onset to be able to run donor wheels and tires which is the 215/45/17s. ...(The 205/55/16s will also work because of their narrow width) Its the combo of 225 width and over 25 inches in diameter that does not work without modification........
    That is reassuring, since I am planning to run the stock 16" wheels, with 205/55's up front. Still, as described in post #7 of this thread, RM1SepEX (Dan) mounted one of his 16" stock rimmed 205/55's, and found that he had only 1/8" clearance, and the tires were not new. That worries me a little. If it turns out to be a problem, though, I guess I can always run 205/50's up front to gain most of another half-inch of clearance.

Dan, are you satisfied that 205/55 -16's are going to work on your car?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And for reference on the Lotus I race, I run 205/50/16 fronts and 225/45/17 or 245/40/17(rains) rears and tote about 100lbs more around the track. I have the SCCA class track records at Palm Beach raceway, Roebling Road and Barber Motorsports for my class so running a slightly bigger tire with less weight with the 818 is a non issue.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    That is reassuring, since I am planning to run the stock 16" wheels, with 205/55's up front. Still, as described in post #7 of this thread, RM1SepEX (Dan) mounted one of his 16" stock rimmed 205/55's, and found that he had only 1/8" clearance, and the tires were not new. That worries me a little. If it turns out to be a problem, though, I guess I can always run 205/50's up front to gain most of another half-inch of clearance.

Dan, are you satisfied that 205/55 -16's are going to work on your car?
    Yes, as Wayne has also indicated similar sized heavier cars run those sizes with no issues. I think we have had this discussion many times before in various threads...

Tire width front vs back is related to handling balance, tire width in general is related to use, compound and getting the tire up to and not over operating temp.

Remember I'm not a track rat I only look to autocross and the 205 should be perfect in the front at this weight. My issue is that rims and tires are not really avail for the back, with the weight bias I'd like to have more rear tire width. With the stock 16s I could only go to 225s. I'd prefer 235 with the 205 fronts based on the expected weight distribution. Long term rim choices dictate that 17's will be the minimum dia to get more tire combinations. I wanted to do a close to stock build as a starting point and "evolve" from there...

Nothing is adjusted on my chassis, like everyone else I'm jumping around due to back orders and can't really finish up anything.... I'm told my B/O parts are coming the next day or two and that will help. It should be on the wheels next week. I think there will be no problem, clearance wise, with my 205s, there are tons of adj avail in the front suspension. Note that this does reinforce how important those LCA bushing locations are. Moving those dramatically moves the lower ball joint!

I've started the wiring loom diet and I find that to be the only really daunting task of the build... It will take me some time and I can't start my 818 until my B/O parts are installed...
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 09-11-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Yes, as Wayne has also indicated similar sized heavier cars run those sizes with no issues. I think we have had this discussion many times before in various threads...

Tire width front vs back is related to handling balance, tire width in general is related to use, compound and getting the tire up to and not over operating temp.

Remember I'm not a track rat I only look to autocross and the 205 should be perfect in the front at this weight. My issue is that rims and tires are not really avail for the back, with the weight bias I'd like to have more rear tire width. With the stock 16s I could only go to 225s. I'd prefer 235 with the 205 fronts based on the expected weight distribution. Long term rim choices dictate that 17's will be the minimum dia to get more tire combinations. I wanted to do a close to stock build as a starting point and "evolve" from there...

Nothing is adjusted on my chassis, like everyone else I'm jumping around due to back orders and can't really finish up anything.... I'm told my B/O parts are coming the next day or two and that will help. It should be on the wheels next week. I think there will be no problem, clearance wise, with my 205s, there are tons of adj avail in the front suspension. Note that this does reinforce how important those LCA bushing locations are. Moving those dramatically moves the lower ball joint!

I've started the wiring loom diet and I find that to be the only really daunting task of the build... It will take me some time and I can't start my 818 until my B/O parts are installed...
    Yes, we've had the discussion a number of times about whether 205's will be adequate for the front and whether 225's will be adequate for the rear, and had reached the conclusion that they should be fine. And I appreciate Wayne's input above which clearly ratifies that. It's really a non-issue, unless one is planning on making great sacks of horsepower, and my NA build will definitely not be going there. I'm guessing 210 flywheel horsepower tops..............

I am concerned only with front tire profiles at this point. The question is whether 55 series tires will work for the front with those 16" rims, or whether it will be prudent to drop down to a 205/50 to ensure reasonable clearances. The good news for me is that you (Dan) will almost certainly resolve that issue long before I need to be buying tires, since my kit doesn't come off the FFR production line for another couple of weeks, and my personal circumstances will probably require me to work on my kit at a somewhat slower rate. The other bit of good news is that the particular tire brands and models I am considering most strongly are available in either size. So my concerns are not deep -- I know I'll be OK either way. If I need to use the 50's on the front, it will add a little bit of rake (1/2") front to back, and reduce the ride height a little, but I can live with that. I'm betting that there's probably a convenient way to adjust the suspension to achieve the "right" ride height anyways. I'm also assuming that the speedometer goes through the transmission, which means it's the rear tire diameter rather than the front that determines speedometer accuracy. So it's all good. Just need to know, that's all.

Getting excited for my upcoming delivery -- My kit should show up at my home in Minnesota via Stewart Transport sometime during the first week in October. Can't wait!!

Edit: After initially posting this, I checked the Tire Rack spec charts for the diameters of the FFR officially recommended tire size ranges for the 818 with 17 and 18 inch wheels. They are all in the vicinity (+/- a tenth or two) of 24" diameter for the front and 25" for the rear. These are pretty much the diameters that one gets using 205/50-16 Front and 225/50-16 Rear. Looks to me like I may not need to worry about the ride height issue. Should be right where it is supposed to be. And front clearances certainly won't be an issue with the 50 series tire.
    Last edited by Silvertop; 09-11-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Additional information

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post

Hey Dan
    I threw on one of my autocross wheels off my G-stock 07 impreza wagon.
    My rim is stock 16 x 6.5 x 55. My tire is a R888 225/45ZR16 23.8" dia 9" wide. In this picture my camber is 0 and castor is ??. I have plenty of room.
    Bob
    r888.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok so this may be a little much but I thought I cover most of the bases. If there is more someone wants to know it isn't hard to add tire/wheel variants. Below shows all the tire sizes with the wheels offset that are equal to or below the recommended max for the front. This takes into account turn clearance, backspacing and hub to outside of tire. Larger ones may work but I wanted to see what fits within the parameters of FFS. Hope this helps

Nolan

width / wheel dia offset TOTAL WHEEL DIA BACKSPACING HUB TO OUTSIDE OF WHEEL turning RADII CLEARANCE
    215 45 17 40 24.618 5.807 2.657 13.610
    205 40 17 35 24.264 5.413 2.657 13.285
    205 45 17 35 24.264 5.413 2.657 13.285
    205 50 17 35 24.264 5.413 2.657 13.285
    205 55 17 35 24.264 5.413 2.657 13.285
    205 40 17 45 24.264 5.807 2.264 13.450
    205 45 17 45 24.264 5.807 2.264 13.450
    205 50 17 45 24.264 5.807 2.264 13.450
    205 55 17 45 24.264 5.807 2.264 13.450
    205 40 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 45 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 50 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 55 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 60 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 65 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 70 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 80 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 40 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 45 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 50 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 55 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 60 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 65 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 70 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 80 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 50 15 35 22.264 5.413 2.657 12.378
    205 55 15 35 22.264 5.413 2.657 12.378
    205 60 15 35 22.264 5.413 2.657 12.378
    205 65 15 35 22.264 5.413 2.657 12.378
    205 70 15 35 22.264 5.413 2.657 12.378
    205 75 15 35 22.264 5.413 2.657 12.378
    205 50 15 45 22.264 5.807 2.264 12.556
    205 55 15 45 22.264 5.807 2.264 12.556
    205 60 15 45 22.264 5.807 2.264 12.556
    205 65 15 45 22.264 5.807 2.264 12.556
    205 70 15 45 22.264 5.807 2.264 12.556
    205 75 15 45 22.264 5.807 2.264 12.556
    195 40 17 35 23.909 5.217 2.461 13.043
    195 45 17 35 23.909 5.217 2.461 13.043
    195 40 17 30 23.909 5.020 2.657 12.966
    195 45 17 30 23.909 5.020 2.657 12.966
    195 40 17 45 23.909 5.610 2.067 13.206
    195 45 17 45 23.909 5.610 2.067 13.206
    195 40 17 50 23.909 5.807 1.870 13.291
    195 45 17 50 23.909 5.807 1.870 13.291
    195 40 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 45 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 50 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 55 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 60 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 80 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 40 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 45 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 50 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 55 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 60 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 80 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 40 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 45 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 50 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 55 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 60 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 80 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 40 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 45 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 50 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 55 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 60 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 80 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 45 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 50 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 55 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 60 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 65 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 70 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 45 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 50 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 55 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 60 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 65 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 70 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 45 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 50 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 55 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 60 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 65 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 70 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 45 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    195 50 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    195 55 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    195 60 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    195 65 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    195 70 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    185 55 16 35 22.555 5.020 2.264 12.344
    185 55 16 30 22.555 4.823 2.461 12.266
    185 55 16 25 22.555 4.626 2.657 12.189
    185 55 16 45 22.555 5.413 1.870 12.510
    185 55 16 50 22.555 5.610 1.673 12.596
    185 55 16 55 22.555 5.807 1.476 12.685
    185 55 15 35 21.555 5.020 2.264 11.889
    185 60 15 35 21.555 5.020 2.264 11.889
    185 65 15 35 21.555 5.020 2.264 11.889
    185 55 15 30 21.555 4.823 2.461 11.807
    185 60 15 30 21.555 4.823 2.461 11.807
    185 65 15 30 21.555 4.823 2.461 11.807
    185 55 15 25 21.555 4.626 2.657 11.728
    185 60 15 25 21.555 4.626 2.657 11.728
    185 65 15 25 21.555 4.626 2.657 11.728
    185 55 15 45 21.555 5.413 1.870 12.061
    185 60 15 45 21.555 5.413 1.870 12.061
    185 65 15 45 21.555 5.413 1.870 12.061
    185 55 15 50 21.555 5.610 1.673 12.150
    185 60 15 50 21.555 5.610 1.673 12.150
    185 65 15 50 21.555 5.610 1.673 12.150
    185 55 15 55 21.555 5.807 1.476 12.242
    185 60 15 55 21.555 5.807 1.476 12.242
    185 65 15 55 21.555 5.807 1.476 12.242
    175 50 16 35 22.201 4.823 2.067 12.103
    175 55 16 35 22.201 4.823 2.067 12.103
    175 60 16 35 22.201 4.823 2.067 12.103
    175 50 16 30 22.201 4.626 2.264 12.026
    175 55 16 30 22.201 4.626 2.264 12.026
    175 60 16 30 22.201 4.626 2.264 12.026
    175 50 16 25 22.201 4.429 2.461 11.951
    175 55 16 25 22.201 4.429 2.461 11.951
    175 60 16 25 22.201 4.429 2.461 11.951
    175 50 16 20 22.201 4.232 2.657 11.880
    175 55 16 20 22.201 4.232 2.657 11.880
    175 60 16 20 22.201 4.232 2.657 11.880
    175 50 16 45 22.201 5.217 1.673 12.265
    175 55 16 45 22.201 5.217 1.673 12.265
    175 60 16 45 22.201 5.217 1.673 12.265
    175 50 16 50 22.201 5.413 1.476 12.350
    175 55 16 50 22.201 5.413 1.476 12.350
    175 60 16 50 22.201 5.413 1.476 12.350
    175 50 16 55 22.201 5.610 1.280 12.438
    175 55 16 55 22.201 5.610 1.280 12.438
    175 60 16 55 22.201 5.610 1.280 12.438
    175 50 16 60 22.201 5.807 1.083 12.528
    175 55 16 60 22.201 5.807 1.083 12.528
    175 60 16 60 22.201 5.807 1.083 12.528
    175 55 15 35 21.201 4.823 2.067 11.646
    175 60 15 35 21.201 4.823 2.067 11.646
    175 65 15 35 21.201 4.823 2.067 11.646
    175 55 15 30 21.201 4.626 2.264 11.566
    175 60 15 30 21.201 4.626 2.264 11.566
    175 65 15 30 21.201 4.626 2.264 11.566
    175 55 15 25 21.201 4.429 2.461 11.488
    175 60 15 25 21.201 4.429 2.461 11.488
    175 65 15 25 21.201 4.429 2.461 11.488
    175 55 15 20 21.201 4.232 2.657 11.414
    175 60 15 20 21.201 4.232 2.657 11.414
    175 65 15 20 21.201 4.232 2.657 11.414
    175 55 15 45 21.201 5.217 1.673 11.814
    175 60 15 45 21.201 5.217 1.673 11.814
    175 65 15 45 21.201 5.217 1.673 11.814
    175 55 15 50 21.201 5.413 1.476 11.903
    175 60 15 50 21.201 5.413 1.476 11.903
    175 65 15 50 21.201 5.413 1.476 11.903
    175 55 15 55 21.201 5.610 1.280 11.993
    175 60 15 55 21.201 5.610 1.280 11.993
    175 65 15 55 21.201 5.610 1.280 11.993
    175 55 15 60 21.201 5.807 1.083 12.087
    175 60 15 60 21.201 5.807 1.083 12.087
    175 65 15 60 21.201 5.807 1.083 12.087
    165 60 15 35 20.846 4.626 1.870 11.404
    165 60 15 30 20.846 4.429 2.067 11.325
    165 60 15 25 20.846 4.232 2.264 11.250
    165 60 15 20 20.846 4.035 2.461 11.177
    165 60 15 15 20.846 3.839 2.657 11.108
    165 60 15 45 20.846 5.020 1.476 11.569
    165 60 15 50 20.846 5.217 1.280 11.656
    165 60 15 55 20.846 5.413 1.083 11.745
    165 60 15 60 20.846 5.610 0.886 11.837
    165 60 15 65 20.846 5.807 0.689 11.932
    155 60 15 35 20.492 4.429 1.673 11.162
    155 60 15 30 20.492 4.232 1.870 11.086
    155 60 15 25 20.492 4.035 2.067 11.012
    155 60 15 20 20.492 3.839 2.264 10.942
    155 60 15 15 20.492 3.642 2.461 10.874
    155 60 15 10 20.492 3.445 2.657 10.810
    155 60 15 45 20.492 4.823 1.280 11.324
    155 60 15 50 20.492 5.020 1.083 11.410
    155 60 15 55 20.492 5.217 0.886 11.498
    155 60 15 60 20.492 5.413 0.689 11.588
    155 60 15 65 20.492 5.610 0.492 11.681
    145 65 15 35 20.138 4.232 1.476 10.922
    145 65 15 30 20.138 4.035 1.673 10.847
    145 65 15 25 20.138 3.839 1.870 10.776
    145 65 15 20 20.138 3.642 2.067 10.707
    145 65 15 15 20.138 3.445 2.264 10.642
    145 65 15 10 20.138 3.248 2.461 10.580
    145 65 15 45 20.138 4.626 1.083 11.081
    145 65 15 50 20.138 4.823 0.886 11.164
    145 65 15 55 20.138 5.020 0.689 11.251
    145 65 15 60 20.138 5.217 0.492 11.340
    145 65 15 65 20.138 5.413 0.295 11.432

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran it for 15, 16, 17, 18, and 19 inch rims. You can see that 18 and 19's didn't make the cut.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about 215/40/17?
    Frank

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    What about 215/40/17?
    Almost zero tires made in that size...
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an excellent one, which I run on my car.

The Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08. I plan on buying the same no matter the tire size I decide to go with.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    Ok so this may be a little much but I thought I cover most of the bases. If there is more someone wants to know it isn't hard to add tire/wheel variants. Below shows all the tire sizes with the wheels offset that are equal to or below the recommended max for the front. This takes into account turn clearance, backspacing and hub to outside of tire. Larger ones may work but I wanted to see what fits within the parameters of FFS. Hope this helps

Nolan

width / wheel dia offset TOTAL WHEEL DIA BACKSPACING HUB TO OUTSIDE OF WHEEL turning RADII CLEARANCE

.................................................. ..............................
    205 40 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 50 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 55 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 60 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 65 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 70 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 80 16 35 23.264 5.413 2.657 12.830
    205 40 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 50 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 55 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 60 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 65 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 70 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    205 80 16 45 23.264 5.807 2.264 13.001
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................
    Nolan

I think you need to revisit your chart. I noticed that you are showing the same tire diameter for each wheel size and tire width regardless of the tire's profile rating. And that just isn't so. For example, the nominal diameter of most 205/55 - 16 tires is 24.9 inches -- not 23.264. A lower profile tire (for example, a 50 series) will be shorter, (in this example, by most of an inch), and higher profile tires will be taller. Without exception. If you don't adjust your diameters for profile, your clearance column numbers are all going to be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the catch Silvertop. A number was typed in rather then taken from the cell. Frank 818 I have included calcs with the 40mm offset which gives you that size. Here is the Rev 2 list. It also appears that a few 18's make the cut in the 40mm wheel offset.

215 35 18 40 23.925 5.807 2.657 13.298
    215 35 17 40 22.925 5.807 2.657 12.850
    215 40 17 40 23.772 5.807 2.657 13.229
    215 35 16 40 21.925 5.807 2.657 12.406
    215 40 16 40 22.772 5.807 2.657 12.781
    215 45 16 40 23.618 5.807 2.657 13.160
    215 50 16 40 24.465 5.807 2.657 13.541
    205 40 18 35 24.457 5.413 2.657 13.373
    205 40 18 45 24.457 5.807 2.264 13.537
    205 40 18 40 24.457 5.610 2.461 13.454
    205 40 17 35 23.457 5.413 2.657 12.917
    205 45 17 35 24.264 5.413 2.657 13.285
    205 40 17 45 23.457 5.807 2.264 13.087
    205 45 17 45 24.264 5.807 2.264 13.450
    205 40 17 40 23.457 5.610 2.461 13.001
    205 45 17 40 24.264 5.610 2.461 13.366
    205 40 16 35 22.457 5.413 2.657 12.465
    205 50 16 35 24.071 5.413 2.657 13.197
    205 55 16 35 24.878 5.413 2.657 13.566
    205 40 16 45 22.457 5.807 2.264 12.641
    205 50 16 45 24.071 5.807 2.264 13.363
    205 40 16 40 22.457 5.610 2.461 12.552
    205 45 16 40 23.264 5.610 2.461 12.914
    205 50 16 40 24.071 5.610 2.461 13.279
    205 50 15 35 23.071 5.413 2.657 12.742
    205 55 15 35 23.878 5.413 2.657 13.109
    205 60 15 35 24.685 5.413 2.657 13.477
    205 50 15 45 23.071 5.807 2.264 12.915
    205 55 15 45 23.878 5.807 2.264 13.276
    205 50 15 40 23.071 5.610 2.461 12.827
    205 55 15 40 23.878 5.610 2.461 13.191
    205 60 15 40 24.685 5.610 2.461 13.558
    195 40 17 35 23.142 5.217 2.461 12.692
    195 45 17 35 23.909 5.217 2.461 13.043
    195 40 17 30 23.142 5.020 2.657 12.613
    195 45 17 30 23.909 5.020 2.657 12.966
    195 40 17 45 23.142 5.610 2.067 12.859
    195 45 17 45 23.909 5.610 2.067 13.206
    195 40 17 50 23.142 5.807 1.870 12.946
    195 45 17 50 23.909 5.807 1.870 13.291
    195 40 17 40 23.142 5.413 2.264 12.775
    195 45 17 40 23.909 5.413 2.264 13.123
    195 40 16 35 22.142 5.217 2.461 12.238
    195 45 16 35 22.909 5.217 2.461 12.587
    195 50 16 35 23.677 5.217 2.461 12.937
    195 55 16 35 24.445 5.217 2.461 13.289
    195 40 16 30 22.142 5.020 2.657 12.156
    195 45 16 30 22.909 5.020 2.657 12.506
    195 50 16 30 23.677 5.020 2.657 12.859
    195 55 16 30 24.445 5.020 2.657 13.213
    195 60 16 30 25.213 5.020 2.657 13.569
    195 40 16 45 22.142 5.610 2.067 12.411
    195 45 16 45 22.909 5.610 2.067 12.755
    195 50 16 45 23.677 5.610 2.067 13.101
    195 55 16 45 24.445 5.610 2.067 13.449
    195 40 16 50 22.142 5.807 1.870 12.501
    195 45 16 50 22.909 5.807 1.870 12.843
    195 50 16 50 23.677 5.807 1.870 13.186
    195 55 16 50 24.445 5.807 1.870 13.532
    195 40 16 40 22.142 5.413 2.264 12.324
    195 45 16 40 22.909 5.413 2.264 12.669
    195 50 16 40 23.677 5.413 2.264 13.018
    195 55 16 40 24.445 5.413 2.264 13.368
    195 45 15 35 21.909 5.217 2.461 12.133
    195 50 15 35 22.677 5.217 2.461 12.481
    195 55 15 35 23.445 5.217 2.461 12.831
    195 60 15 35 24.213 5.217 2.461 13.182
    195 65 15 35 24.980 5.217 2.461 13.536
    195 45 15 30 21.909 5.020 2.657 12.050
    195 50 15 30 22.677 5.020 2.657 12.400
    195 55 15 30 23.445 5.020 2.657 12.752
    195 60 15 30 24.213 5.020 2.657 13.106
    195 65 15 30 24.980 5.020 2.657 13.461
    195 45 15 45 21.909 5.610 2.067 12.308
    195 50 15 45 22.677 5.610 2.067 12.651
    195 55 15 45 23.445 5.610 2.067 12.996
    195 60 15 45 24.213 5.610 2.067 13.343
    195 45 15 50 21.909 5.807 1.870 12.399
    195 50 15 50 22.677 5.807 1.870 12.739
    195 55 15 50 23.445 5.807 1.870 13.082
    195 60 15 50 24.213 5.807 1.870 13.427
    195 45 15 40 21.909 5.413 2.264 12.219
    195 50 15 40 22.677 5.413 2.264 12.565
    195 55 15 40 23.445 5.413 2.264 12.912
    195 60 15 40 24.213 5.413 2.264 13.261
    185 55 16 35 24.012 5.020 2.264 13.013
    185 55 16 30 24.012 4.823 2.461 12.938
    185 55 16 25 24.012 4.626 2.657 12.866
    185 55 16 45 24.012 5.413 1.870 13.170
    185 55 16 50 24.012 5.610 1.673 13.252
    185 55 16 55 24.012 5.807 1.476 13.337
    185 55 16 40 24.012 5.217 2.067 13.090
    185 55 15 35 23.012 5.020 2.264 12.553
    185 60 15 35 23.740 5.020 2.264 12.888
    185 65 15 35 24.469 5.020 2.264 13.224
    185 55 15 30 23.012 4.823 2.461 12.476
    185 60 15 30 23.740 4.823 2.461 12.812
    185 65 15 30 24.469 4.823 2.461 13.151
    185 55 15 25 23.012 4.626 2.657 12.401
    185 60 15 25 23.740 4.626 2.657 12.740
    185 65 15 25 24.469 4.626 2.657 13.080
    185 55 15 45 23.012 5.413 1.870 12.716
    185 60 15 45 23.740 5.413 1.870 13.046
    185 65 15 45 24.469 5.413 1.870 13.378
    185 55 15 50 23.012 5.610 1.673 12.801
    185 60 15 50 23.740 5.610 1.673 13.129
    185 65 15 50 24.469 5.610 1.673 13.459
    185 55 15 55 23.012 5.807 1.476 12.888
    185 60 15 55 23.740 5.807 1.476 13.214
    185 65 15 55 24.469 5.807 1.476 13.542
    185 55 15 40 23.012 5.217 2.067 12.633
    185 60 15 40 23.740 5.217 2.067 12.966
    185 65 15 40 24.469 5.217 2.067 13.300
    175 50 16 35 22.890 4.823 2.067 12.420
    175 55 16 35 23.579 4.823 2.067 12.738
    175 60 16 35 24.268 4.823 2.067 13.057
    175 50 16 30 22.890 4.626 2.264 12.344
    175 55 16 30 23.579 4.626 2.264 12.664
    175 60 16 30 24.268 4.626 2.264 12.986
    175 50 16 25 22.890 4.429 2.461 12.272
    175 55 16 25 23.579 4.429 2.461 12.594
    175 60 16 25 24.268 4.429 2.461 12.917
    175 50 16 20 22.890 4.232 2.657 12.202
    175 55 16 20 23.579 4.232 2.657 12.526
    175 60 16 20 24.268 4.232 2.657 12.851
    175 50 16 45 22.890 5.217 1.673 12.578
    175 55 16 45 23.579 5.217 1.673 12.892
    175 60 16 45 24.268 5.217 1.673 13.208
    175 50 16 50 22.890 5.413 1.476 12.661
    175 55 16 50 23.579 5.413 1.476 12.973
    175 60 16 50 24.268 5.413 1.476 13.287
    175 50 16 55 22.890 5.610 1.280 12.746
    175 55 16 55 23.579 5.610 1.280 13.056
    175 60 16 55 24.268 5.610 1.280 13.368
    175 50 16 60 22.890 5.807 1.083 12.834
    175 55 16 60 23.579 5.807 1.083 13.142
    175 60 16 60 24.268 5.807 1.083 13.452
    175 55 15 35 22.579 4.823 2.067 12.276
    175 60 15 35 23.268 4.823 2.067 12.594
    175 65 15 35 23.957 4.823 2.067 12.913
    175 55 15 30 22.579 4.626 2.264 12.200
    175 60 15 30 23.268 4.626 2.264 12.520
    175 65 15 30 23.957 4.626 2.264 12.841
    175 55 15 25 22.579 4.429 2.461 12.127
    175 60 15 25 23.268 4.429 2.461 12.448
    175 65 15 25 23.957 4.429 2.461 12.771
    175 55 15 20 22.579 4.232 2.657 12.057
    175 60 15 20 23.268 4.232 2.657 12.380
    175 65 15 20 23.957 4.232 2.657 12.704
    175 55 15 45 22.579 5.217 1.673 12.436
    175 60 15 45 23.268 5.217 1.673 12.750
    175 65 15 45 23.957 5.217 1.673 13.065
    175 55 15 50 22.579 5.413 1.476 12.520
    175 60 15 50 23.268 5.413 1.476 12.832
    175 65 15 50 23.957 5.413 1.476 13.145
    175 55 15 55 22.579 5.610 1.280 12.607
    175 60 15 55 23.268 5.610 1.280 12.916
    175 65 15 55 23.957 5.610 1.280 13.227
    175 55 15 60 22.579 5.807 1.083 12.695
    175 60 15 60 23.268 5.807 1.083 13.003
    175 65 15 60 23.957 5.807 1.083 13.312
    175 55 15 40 22.579 5.020 1.870 12.355
    175 60 15 40 23.268 5.020 1.870 12.671
    175 65 15 40 23.957 5.020 1.870 12.988
    165 60 15 35 22.795 4.626 1.870 12.301
    165 60 15 30 22.795 4.429 2.067 12.228
    165 60 15 25 22.795 4.232 2.264 12.158
    165 60 15 20 22.795 4.035 2.461 12.091
    165 60 15 15 22.795 3.839 2.657 12.027
    165 60 15 45 22.795 5.020 1.476 12.454
    165 60 15 50 22.795 5.217 1.280 12.535
    165 60 15 55 22.795 5.413 1.083 12.618
    165 60 15 60 22.795 5.610 0.886 12.704
    165 60 15 65 22.795 5.807 0.689 12.792
    165 60 15 40 22.795 4.823 1.673 12.376
    155 60 15 35 22.323 4.429 1.673 12.008
    155 60 15 30 22.323 4.232 1.870 11.937
    155 60 15 25 22.323 4.035 2.067 11.869
    155 60 15 20 22.323 3.839 2.264 11.803
    155 60 15 15 22.323 3.642 2.461 11.741
    155 60 15 10 22.323 3.445 2.657 11.681
    155 60 15 45 22.323 4.823 1.280 12.159
    155 60 15 50 22.323 5.020 1.083 12.238
    155 60 15 55 22.323 5.217 0.886 12.320
    155 60 15 60 22.323 5.413 0.689 12.405
    155 60 15 65 22.323 5.610 0.492 12.492
    155 60 15 40 22.323 4.626 1.476 12.082
    145 65 15 35 22.421 4.232 1.476 11.983
    145 65 15 30 22.421 4.035 1.673 11.915
    145 65 15 25 22.421 3.839 1.870 11.850
    145 65 15 20 22.421 3.642 2.067 11.787
    145 65 15 15 22.421 3.445 2.264 11.728
    145 65 15 10 22.421 3.248 2.461 11.672
    145 65 15 45 22.421 4.626 1.083 12.128
    145 65 15 50 22.421 4.823 0.886 12.204
    145 65 15 55 22.421 5.020 0.689 12.283
    145 65 15 60 22.421 5.217 0.492 12.365
    145 65 15 65 22.421 5.413 0.295 12.449
    145 65 15 40 22.421 4.429 1.280 12.054

Post Thanks / Like
    I should note that there are more that will fit with different offsets either from the wheels themselves or by spacers. Here is the file if anyone wants to plug in specific offsets. The first tab is what you see above. The second tab is all the tires for one offset so if you have one offset you would like to check you can change the red cell. The usable column is what you sort with. 1 works, 2 does not. I attempted to attach the excel file without any luck. I guess I someone wants it let me know and I'll email it unless anyone can tell me how to post it.

Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you factoring in wheel width?

Post Thanks / Like
    A wheel has the same center to measure the offset from as the tire or at least I can't think of a situation that proves this an invalid statement. You should be able to select from above the tire you would like followed by choosing a wheel width that can accommodate it as long as it has the stated offset.

Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    as mentioned previously in this thread:

It isn't so simple, buying tires based on theoretical numbers can be a nightmare, fitment wise

theoretical calcs of tire diameters are a problem as tires of the same size but different configuration can be a different diameter, even from the same mfg. Tires from diff mfg are virtually always a diff diameter and mounted width

add in rim width vs tire width and your table is of little practical use...

you need to evaluate not only tire dia but width for clearance, offset and actual tire mfg

for example Hoosiers always seem to mount up wider than their competitors...

a tire that is too tall might fit if put on a wider rim or a 1/2 in narrower rim might provide fender clearance with the same tire
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    No argument here on it being theoretical, just wanted to put together a guide understanding that there will be variance. This was meant to be on the conservative side since all variables where equal to or less then the recommended max by FFR. I see what you are referring to with the width clearance and actual tire mfg specs. This list also doesn't take into account what size brakes will be ran and what clearance is required which in turn can further lean out your options. To incorporate this data would make the spreadsheet even bigger then it already is. The offset was included however. The turning radii clearance takes the width of the tire and the offset into account. Even thought it isn't the clearance width, the max is set by the same parameters so the nominal wheel size for each tire size should be relative to the numbers above. I have seen it said the for every .5" change in rim with, the tire width changes by .2". The FFR lists a max size and that is my baseline. If you see a combination on the list you like then you should always check actual numbers. I'm always up for learning and if there is a easier better way to represent this I'm open to it.

Nolan

P.S. As an example one thing I learned from doing this is if I so desired to put 18" in the front there is an 18" rim combination that I could look into.

Post Thanks / Like
    The original red car had 18" fronts as the forgestar wheels only come in 18's.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12