FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Henry (65 Cobra Dude) is doing an auto trans. He picked up his kit middle last month. I don't think he has a build thread yet so you may want to PM him.
    Thanks for the reply, I just sent him a PM.
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like

Cutting auto to fit

I jumped right in and shortened the tailpiece to fit;

image.jpg

I gave more detailed info in the general, engine/transmission thread.

I still need the measurement from the top of the frame to the center of the axle output to determine if I need to lower the rear of the trans, if anyone has the time.

Anyone have problems with the FFR axles not having matching splines on the wheel hub end? The axles FFR sent me have 29 splines, my rear hubs have 21. Jay said they have not had this issue before and that basically I'm on my own to resolve.

When I built my jeep I had to take the axles to a driveshaft shop to lengthen the front axle and shorten the rear, so I will take the axles down to them to cut/splice/balance.
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call factory five...there we issues with the axles. Although you might measure the stock axle against the FFR axle. I was surprised how close it actually was. mine were about 1/32 different in length...I bet I could have run the stock axles.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Like this? This is a 2006 5MT in 818S:

818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    Like this? This is a 2006 5MT in 818S:

Pete, thanks for answering! Yes, that's what I needed to know. That's about the same as what I have, but when you look at the front of the engine to the frame it looks like the engine is tipped forward.

Looks like all I need to do now is build a rear trans mount. I was all set to pull the engine/trans and modify the frame to drop the rear lower tonight.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Id measure the rear as well. The engine and trans can pivot close to the axles so a large angular displacement gives little movement near the axle but a lot of movement at the rear.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, Mechie3. Like this?
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to measure it yesterday just as I saw you posted pics. Then, I didn't feel bad I hadn't measured. :lol:
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post

I was going to measure it yesterday just as I saw you posted pics. Then, I didn't feel bad I hadn't measured. :lol:
    No problem, group effort!

Post Thanks / Like
    I finished modifying the frame, built a rear auto trans mount, and installed the engine/trans for hopefully the last time! (More detailed info in the engine/trans threads under auto);

image.jpg

On Thursday I received the B/O hardware from FFR and also the Subaru parts I ordered for the front suspension. New steering rack boots, tie rod ends, ball joints and cones for the control arms. So I was finally able to get the front assembled!

image.jpg

Now another major mess to clean up! Seems like I spend almost as much time cleaning and putting away tools as I do actually getting some building done.

Now that I have the hardware and the auto trans installed I can get little projects done on weeknights. Hopefully start moving a little faster.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Wayne showed us that the 6 cylinder will fit.......do you think it will fit with this tranny set up? It would be my preference ........thanks Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riptide motorsport View Post
    So Wayne showed us that the 6 cylinder will fit.......do you think it will fit with this tranny set up? It would be my preference ........thanks Steven
    The 6 cylinder and auto trans will fit
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Are we having fun yet? I keep asking myself as I wire brush/clean/paint nuts, bolts, and greasy/rusty brackets/calipers/rotors/etc.

I painted the front firewall with spray on bedliner, started fitting the master cylinder, and installed the steering column. For the steering rack I used my new tubing bender and made a loop in one of the power steering lines I took off to patch back;

image.jpg

Since I'm using an auto I had concerns that fitting the brake pedal would present another challenge. It did, but very minimal. The bracket assembly bolted right up, drill a second hole in the pedal shaft for the pushrod connection, and shorten the pushrod by about a half inch;

image.jpg

So between using an auto and that my donor is mostly a 2000 imprezza outback, with the rear suspension being from a 1998 forester (the outback didn't have disk brakes), I have few more challenges to overcome than if I had been able to find an "approved" donor. So this weekend it was time to conquer the brakes. Still waiting on another set of axles with hopefully the right spline count in the CV joint at the wheel end to fit the FFR supplied axles. It appears that the calipers from both donors are ok so I cleaned them up and painted with caliper paint. Took the disks to O'Reilly to get turned and pick up new pads. The fronts had enough meat left to turn, the rears too warped. Luckily they had the rear rotors and both sets of pads on hand. While I was at it I painted the center of the rotors black;

image.jpg

image.jpg

I guess when a few more get done with their builds we can compare notes on what is really required for brakes. So my setup is completely stock, including off the shelf pads for future reference. No power brakes. If I was building for track use it would be a no brainer, go for the Wilwood upgrade. But with the 818 weighing about half of the donor, I can't imagine that stock brakes will not give above average stopping power.

So a little note to those building behind me,

Fit all your parts and install the bolts, washers, spacers, nuts, etc as shown, but do not tighten! I typically do this anyway, I can't tell you how many times I have needed to take something apart that you think your done with, to get another part in. It has saved me a lot of time, especially since parts are on back order or waiting on other parts. I was reminded of this tonight when I went to install the front sway bar. You have to remove a top shock mount bolt to get it in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    see photo 1 above:

your rear lower LCA bushings are mounted incorrectly, the side with the little "wiggle" is supposed to be down, the flat side on the top, swap and flip

there is a small funky shaped block off plate to go between the firewall and the master cylinder
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great. Very sharp looking.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    see photo 1 above:

your rear lower LCA bushings are mounted incorrectly, the side with the little "wiggle" is supposed to be down, the flat side on the top, swap and flip

there is a small funky shaped block off plate to go between the firewall and the master cylinder
    Dan thanks for taking the time to review my pics and comment! There has been many conflicting posts/information about the installation of the LCA's that I temporarily bolted them in place until I felt the issue was finalized. So today I picked up some nuts and bolts, flipped them around, and bottled them in. I also painted the cover plate for the master cylinder with bed liner paint and installed. The plate did require some cutting to clear the top right master cylinder bracket bolt, FYI.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I installed the front sway bar also. My wheels are on island now, hopefully delivery tomorrow. If my axle parts arrive this week I plan on having the baby stand on its own feet this weekend!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Looks great. Very sharp looking.
    Thanks for the compliment! I'm trying not to hurry too much and keep working the parts to make the build look like it just came down the assembly line.

I read everyone's build posts daily to learn and plan my next steps, thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A,
    You're doing an outstanding job. I'm really looking forward to the karting of your auto-818. Keep up the great work.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    You are really flying along! The build is looking great, and you must be pleased.

So, how has it been working in the space you have? It doesn't appear to be slowing you down any!

I have enjoyed watching your progress. Looking forward to the go kart!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    Dan thanks for taking the time to review my pics and comment! There has been many conflicting posts/information about the installation of the LCA's that I temporarily bolted them in place until I felt the issue was finalized. So today I picked up some nuts and bolts, flipped them around, and bottled them in. I also painted the cover plate for the master cylinder with bed liner paint and installed. The plate did require some cutting to clear the top right master cylinder bracket bolt, FYI.
    If you followed my thread you can see that I spent a ton of time working out the LCA bushing issues! :-) I tried to get the manual straightened out but to no avail, there are still loads of conflicting photos and directions in the manual. :-(
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    You are really flying along! The build is looking great, and you must be pleased.

So, how has it been working in the space you have? It doesn't appear to be slowing you down any!

I have enjoyed watching your progress. Looking forward to the go kart!!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks for the positive comments! Actually the space is working out perfectly. Parts have been coming in as existing parts have been getting installed. Trash has to be hauled out often as all the cardboard and packing fills up a lot a available space. But maybe good, makes me clean up more often. I am having a great time building the 818 so far. Even with a few conflicts with information and Subaru parts variations, nothing has been frustrating. The frame and components have been laid out pretty well and component installation makes sense. My best tool has been my little angle grinder. Cut a little here shave a little there, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    A,
    You're doing an outstanding job. I'm really looking forward to the karting of your auto-818. Keep up the great work.
    Thanks for the compliment. My little plan for myself is to go cart by end of November and spend December on body and interior. I have been spending most Saturday's, part of Sunday and 2-3 nights a week for a couple hours building. Untold hours researching and buying parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    If you followed my thread you can see that I spent a ton of time working out the LCA bushing issues! :-) I tried to get the manual straightened out but to no avail, there are still loads of conflicting photos and directions in the manual. :-(
    I'm not sure if my method is correct or what, but I tend to stop work on an item when I don't think I have clear direction/understanding, and move on to something else. With the thought that after I get partway through that part installation I can get back online and research and having actually starting the install helps me understand better what Im reading in the everyone's posts. Then Im not wasting time trying to figure it out by myself. The LCA issue is a prime example, and one of the reasons I only assemble now and torque later. Thanks for your time in replying and putting this issue to bed!

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel delivery

My wheels finally arrived, ordered on 10/4, delivered 10/23, shipped from California. I call shipping cost and time delay the Hawaii "Tax". Nothing for free!

The wheels are XXR, 535's in Chromium Black, 17x7 front, 18x8.75 rear, all +35.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had in my mind, after reading all the posts on wheel size, that I needed to push the boundary of size. My opinion is that these wheels are pretty big just looking at them hanging on the lugs. Obviously my body is not on, and I don't have tires yet, to completely verify fitment. But I can say they I only have about a half inch clearance on the backsides. I am really excited about how they look in person. I was hoping for a little more "deep dish" look, but its there a little on the rears. No offense to Wayne's XXR wheels, but the double bolt pattern bugs me, I'm so happy I found these with just the single 5x100 pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome fit, there's hope yet for my 9.5 rears. Your box says 9.5... were they really 9.5s that measured at 8.75?

Tonight I plan on assembling the suspension and getting some good measurements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the wheels! I think they will look very sharp.

You are really cruising right along, and things are looking great. Are you going to stay with the white, or are you going to lay down some paint? After seeing Wayne's, I really like the idea of some color on top, although I don't have the creativity he has as far as that cool design!

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I am enjoying following along! Did I catch a picture without the hula girl? Or, did I miss her?

Keep on trucking along!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks great! I'm thinking about the XXR 530's in Chromium Black, so I'm anxious to see how your fitment turns out when the body panels are on.

No offense to Wayne's XXR wheels, but the double bolt pattern bugs me, I'm so happy I found these with just the single 5x100 pattern.
    The wheels I have on my Z (Nismo LMGT4, made by Rays) are like that and I've kinda grown to like the 10 hole look...

nengun-1518-00-rays-nismo_-_lm_gt4.png

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to point out an error online, but this is important. The hula girl is missing in your last photo - the right rear wheel. Did she quit and walk out on you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Looks great! I'm thinking about the XXR 530's in Chromium Black, so I'm anxious to see how your fitment turns out when the body panels are on.
    I was also thinking about the XXR 530s in that same color and those same sizes, so I'll be very curious how your fitment turns out. Please keep us posted!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to point out an error online, but this is important. The hula girl is missing in your last photo - the right rear wheel. Did she quit and walk out on you?
    Hey Pete, I noticed the same thing. I looked and looked, but she seems to be on the lam... Maybe she went to the beach!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw her - look behind the wheel to the left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LesMurray View Post
    I saw her - look behind the wheel to the left.
    Yes -- in front of the lower third of the shock absorber. She blends in with the yellow paint of the shock and becomes almost invisible. Good find!

Post Thanks / Like
    Whew. Good catch, Les. I've had them walk on me and didn't want that to happen here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post

The wheels I have on my Z (Nismo LMGT4, made by Rays) are like that and I've kinda grown to like the 10 hole look...

nengun-1518-00-rays-nismo_-_lm_gt4.png
    I have those LMGT4's on my R33 GTR and love them, but don't ever lose a center cap for the US version as they aren't made anymore and are nearly impossible to find.
    1995 Nissan Skyline GTR VSpec
    818S in progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NISMO_RB25 View Post
    I have those LMGT4's on my R33 GTR and love them, but don't ever lose a center cap for the US version as they aren't made anymore and are nearly impossible to find.
    R33... sweet!

Yeah, I got a deal on my wheels; forged monoblocks are super light, the XXR's that Aloha got and I'm considering cast; any chance of putting them on a scale?

Good to know about the center caps, but I'll be selling my Z in the near future. but I'll be getting my 818 tomorrow or Saturday

Post Thanks / Like
    According to this website: http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-530-Wheels-s/1673.htm, the XXR 530 17x7 weighs ~19.5 lbs, and the 18x8.75 weighs ~21.2 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    According to this website: http://www.nlmotoring.com/XXR-530-Wheels-s/1673.htm, the XXR 530 17x7 weighs ~19.5 lbs, and the 18x8.75 weighs ~21.2 lbs.
    Thanks! Not too bad, but a couple pounds heavier than my LMGT4's which are an inch bigger in diameter and width.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet wheels!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Love the wheels! I think they will look very sharp.

You are really cruising right along, and things are looking great. Are you going to stay with the white, or are you going to lay down some paint? After seeing Wayne's, I really like the idea of some color on top, although I don't have the creativity he has as far as that cool design!

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I am enjoying following along! Did I catch a picture without the hula girl? Or, did I miss her?

Keep on trucking along!

Regards,

Steve
    Thanks for commenting.

I will not leave mine white. Although some of my friends like white. I keep changing my mind on color, so it will probably be like roulette, when the time comes for color it be what Im thinking at the time. I plan on a black interior with lots of red. I have already purchased a black steering wheel with red stitching, powder coated all the exterior body trim pieces satin black, and my wheels are blackish looking, so my exterior colors will have to match. My current inspiration;

image.jpg

image.jpg

Having a time trying to find tires here, I even went on some mainland sites but it seems like most of my first choices are on back order, long lead time, or expensive shipping. I'm anxious to get to a rolling chassis so I might just pick up some cheap tires to get through the build. Been looking at Bridgestone RE-11's, Advan AD-01's, Toyo R1R's, and Hankook R-S3's. I should have started looking earlier.

Thanks to all for the reply's about the Hula Girl!! Sometimes she gets a little shy at all the picture taking and she try's to get out of the limelight
    Last edited by Aloha818; 10-25-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps I can help. These are the tires I was planning on:

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...acing+83w.html

http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...g+90w+bsw.html

According to all the information I could find, they should fit the wheels you have fine. Price is right too.

There was a thread some time back about tires and from what I recall these were said to perform very well (despite being not very well known).

For what it's worth...

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast