Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have a Gen-I GTM hatch that they aren't planning to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a Gen-I GTM hatch that they aren't planning to use?

I'd like to buy a Gen-I GTM hatch, if anyone has one that they aren't planning to use. If interested, please send a PM with the price that you you would like for it.

Thanks,

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean the trunk (engine) lid, put the release hardware?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking for the The fiberglass rear deck/hatch only. I don't need the rear window.
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of one not being used. I'll check with the owner and see if he will part with it. Should know tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool. Thanks Cory.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I'm thinking...

Last edited by The Stig; 09-16-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, You don't ever want to finish yours do you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fact5racer View Post
    Man, You don't ever want to finish yours do you?

Yes Sir! I can't wait to finish it. I figure that I can drive my car with the current hatch on it, until I can get a new one reworked with the side vents. It'll give me something to do when I finish building it.
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-16-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

I like this.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny you just posted that, I saw you driving it around your track last knight on Top Gear. Micheal Shumacer helped design that car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    Mike,

I like this.
    I like it too, and I think that it helps the heat dissipation issue quite a bit, by allowing the engine bay heat a way to escape, and not be trapped in the upper area of the hatch. Glenn Martin (Mt Airy "Mayberry", NC) did something similar with his car. He created a couple of "vents" in the bodywork next to the upper corners of the hatch that allowed heat to escape.

The "Ferrari" design is the least "invasive" as far as my build goes. I can work on a 2nd hatch and not have to rework and repaint the entire body. But you can see in these pictures that Glenn had it figured out early on.

Good to hear from you Buddy. Hope all is well.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-17-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fastthings View Post
    Funny you just posted that, I saw you driving it around your track last knight on Top Gear. Micheal Shumacer helped design that car.
    Yep. You've gotta love those Race Driver designed Ferrari's on an airfield race track!
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    mike, let me know if you need help building the hatch vents. i'd be glad to help if you need it. also, you could switch out the ffr supplied vent material that's in the back of the hatch with something else. the ffr stuff doesn't flow air well at all.
    Last edited by carbon fiber; 09-17-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    mike, let me know if you need help building the hatch vents. i'd be glad to help if you need it. also, you could switch out the ffr supplied vent material that's in the back of the hatch with something else. the ffr stuff doesn't flow air well at all.
    Buddy, it's like you can read minds! You are definitely on my list of people to talk to about this. I just wanted to see if I could locate a hatch from one of the builders, or if I can get Dave to make one for me. Not sure if that's even possible now, with the new Gen II hatch in production. I'm hoping to hear back from Cory soon.

How are you with heating and shaping poly-carbonate?

Thank you for the offer. I'll be in touch soon.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it too. At one time, I thought about a rear window like the F40...that would let a lot of heat out. Not sure about what it lets in...LOL

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've made/shaped poly airplane windows before, using a pre-made mold. we used a heat-proof felt-like cloth with the ends sewn and looped around pieces of 1/2 dowel rod. then put the poly on top of this and hang the whole thing in a large walk in oven. after it was up to temp, you can pick it up by the dowel rods and set directly on the mold. I even know someone here with a walk-in oven. are you going to need to shape the poly? I think the other guys that have made poly hatch windows have made them from a flat piece, saying it was a better fit than the glass that comes with the kit. ( the window that comes with the kit is convex and doesn't fit the body line well) as far as the vents, "trays" could be made that sit under the openings with a 1" (or so) gap, and they would direct water down/back past the engine and still let the hot air escape. pm me when you get ready, and i'll give you my contact info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do. Sounds like a plan.

Just spoke to Factory Five to see if they had an un-sold hatch, or if they could make a Gen-I. (long-shot)

Should hear back from them, whether they can help or not.

I'll be in touch soon.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-17-2013 at 02:27 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with the owner and he said he would sell it. He asked what my offer was and I told him to come up with a price. I explained that a forum member was looking for one and that I would also have to ship it. What do you guys think a used hatch should go for? I will send him a text again tomorrow and see what he has come up with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Brown View Post
    I spoke with the owner and he said he would sell it. He asked what my offer was and I told him to come up with a price. I explained that a forum member was looking for one and that I would also have to ship it. What do you guys think a used hatch should go for? I will send him a text again tomorrow and see what he has come up with.
    Thank you Cory!

I spoke to Jay at Factory Five, earlier today. He said that they still have the Gen-I mold, and could make a new hatch using the new Gel Coat method.

He said it would take about 10 days to finish current GTM work, and then prep the mold, and make the new hatch.

The price is $325.00 plus shipping: FedEx Frieght. Looking forward to hearing what your friend has to say.

I don't really need a brand new piece, since it's going to be cut and re-formed anyway. So if I can help him out, I'd be happy to.

Thanks,

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mmaragos View Post
    I like it too. At one time, I thought about a rear window like the F40...that would let a lot of heat out. Not sure about what it lets in...LOL
    I've thought of doing that as well. It sure lets the heat out. But I didn't want to have to worry so much about washing the car and getting a lot of water in the engine bay.

That's when I figured that if I do this, it would be something like the Ferrari F430 design that I would want to try to acheive.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm treating this little "Side-Project" the same as I did the replacement of my brake pedals... I can just sit around and talk about how cool it would be, or I can put the ball in motion and commit to it. So... Since I didn't get a response to my PM to Cory about his friend's hatch, I called Factory Five and ordered a GEN-I hatch from Jay. In two weeks it should be ready to ship. So now I'm in the market for a set of Audi R8 vents. They are almost perfect to use on the GTM hatch.

From what I've seen so far, a set of these run into some SERIOUS money, so alternatives may be in order... I may have to make a form, and make a couple of fiberglass vents.
    We'll see.

The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike,

Cool. The R8 vents where the first thing I thought about when you first posted the idea.

I know it's outside of the scope of your project, but it seams a set if vents/louvers would work well on the body just to to outside and parallel to the glass.

*an additional thought .........I can see a set of Shane's louvers bonded to the underside of a set of finished slots.
    Last edited by VD2021; 09-24-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    My first thought was to think about working the body, but when I thought about making the rear window/hatch 4 to 5 inches wider, I wasn't sure how that would fit proportionally. Plus I really don't want to mess with the body in terms of fiberglass body and paint... I don't mind working on a second hatch while I finish the rest of the car. If it works out, great. If not, I'm not out a ton of money, and I would not have done anything that would need to corrected (back to original) before I could drive the car. At least in my mind, it seems that it would be a lot less expensive...?

Another thing that I have in mind is that I can use 3/8" polycarbonate for the rear window, and it should fit much more flush to the body and hatch lines.

At least that's the thought process...

By the way... If there is anyone else that might be thinking of doing something similar, now might be the time since they're pulling out the molds to do this one. The price they quoted me was $360.00 plus tax & shipping. ($110.00 or something like that for shipping).
    Last edited by The Stig; 09-26-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    My first thought was to think about working the body, but when I thought about making the rear window/hatch 4 to 5 inches wider, I wasn't sure how that would fit proportionally. Plus I really don't want to mess with the body in terms of fiberglass body and paint... I don't mind working on a second hatch while I finish the rest of the car. If it works out, great. If not, I'm not out a ton of money, and I would not have done anything that had to be "fixed" before I could drive the car. Did I that it would be a lot less expensive...

Another thing that I have in mind is that I can use 3/8" polycarbonate for the rear window, and it should fit much more flush to the body and hatch lines.

At least that's the thought process.

By the way... If there is anyone else that might be thinking of doing something similar, now might be the time since they're pulling out the molds to do this one. The price they quoted me was $360.00 plus tax & shipping. ($110.00 or something like that for shipping).
    Having seen the photo of th F430, the image stuck with me, and yesturday on the way to work I was folowing behind an Eagle Talon and it hit me that the rear window might work on the GTM with loouvers formed on the left and right.
    I think its worth taking a look at.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Al Carpenter sent a PM to let me know that he has a rear hatch that is not being used. It has the 3 tier "glass" insert (like the Murcielago). I went outside to take a look, and figure out whether or not it would fit my engine bay: I decided it wouldn't because of the Cold Air Intake runners at the rear of the glass. I was really close to having him ship it down to me. (I probably should have).

Al, I really appreciate the generous offer.

But I had already placed the order with Factory Five, and they are already in the process of prepping the GEN-I molds, so I decided to move ahead with that. Should be ready to be shipped late this week or early next week. Should be an interesting side project.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Stig I don't see a pm in my inbox. My friend never got back to me on the hatch and I left town for work again and haven't been on here for awhile.

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries Cory.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Brown View Post
    Sorry Stig I don't see a pm in my inbox. My friend never got back to me on the hatch and I left town for work again and haven't been on here for awhile.
    I've seen the hatch.. it pretty much is a stock hatch with a cover made in sheet metal attached to it. You could remove the attachment and be at square one.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Much appreciated. But Factory Five has already started laying up the hatch, and since Gen-I body parts are something that they would sell only once in a blue moon, I don't want to cancel and leave them stuck with it. They've been too good to me to do that to them. It should be ready to ship in a couple of days. (End of this week or early next week).

With that said; I spoke to Jason (Carbon Fiber) this morning. He has offered to help me with the design and fiberglass work. I'm looking forward to working with him. I think we have a good plan to get it started, so I can't wait to start working through this piece.
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,,
    You might try a search on 'Bilge Vents' lots out there,,, although the length may be an issue it may be a place to start. They should look something like this:

You could skip the glass altogther,,, I'm thinking these would breathe pretty well.

Fred

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    GTM #22 - Worlds slowest build

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always liked the lambo slats. I just don't think I have enough room between the hatch and the cold air intake runners for the support structure that they would require.

And by the way... I thought I had the "World's slowest build"...

Take care Fred.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    retro miura concept is awful sweet. they did a great job of not messing up the lines of the original.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got notification that the Hatch was shipped from Factory Five, and is on it's way to Thomasville, NC.

So IT's GAME ON for the Side Vent Project!!!

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-09-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the F12 flange at the top, but I have an idea that may still work for the sides. I'll get in touch with you as soon as I can. (Wednesday or Thursday).

Thank you for the heads up.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-30-2013 at 10:47 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the "support ridge" that runs down the sides of the hatch, are going to win the battle, (at least for the design that I had in mind). But after talking to Jason and shifting to plan "B".

Jason had mentioned the use of a vent at the top of the hatch. There is plenty of room in that area, so there shouldn't be any issue with that. We should end up with a sleek look, that gives me the heat vent that I'm looking for. Plus it should still look very cool. Everything will fit nice and flush with the body. Should have something before to long.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm glassing in the angles that go down to the glass right now!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't wait to see it. After talking to you about the design change, I felt pretty good about the new direction. It's going to give the rear deck a clean sexy look for the GTM. It will be just as functional as the original design. With the vent(s) at the top, all of the heat can escape and not get trapped in the upper engine bay.

Mike
    Last edited by The Stig; 10-21-2013 at 09:03 PM.
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Sucks I just saw this...I have three of them...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RC000E View Post
    Sucks I just saw this...I have three of them...
    LOL!!! Thanks anyway.

Mike
    The Stig

GTM #0081

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast