FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: VAG VR6 engine + tranny viable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Basically I think it's very hard to know if it fits and how it fits until someone actually tries it in.

Speedy, with only 4" too many on the axle-to-front length, maybe it's worth it for you to give a try (since Subaru parts are so hard to get in your country anyway)?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Basically I think it's very hard to know if it fits and how it fits until someone actually tries it in.

Speedy, with only 4" too many on the axle-to-front length, maybe it's worth it for you to give a try (since Subaru parts are so hard to get in your country anyway)?
    The problem with trying for him is if it doesn't fit, what does he do then? He doesn't have ready access to used Subie parts, new parts (Subie engine & trans) way too expensive. Plus he has to have it built in less than a year, or he can never register it, and $10K down the drain. I know there are others with desire to fit the VW motor. So maybe best bet is to let someone else pave the way on the formula to make this work. Then he can just follow that example and know he can be done in < 1 year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    The problem with trying for him is if it doesn't fit, what does he do then?
    Oops, crap, sorry I really didn't think of that one!

Well I'll talk with my friend (my mechanic too) and see if he'd give it a try to fit my VR engine and assume some frame modifications. Thing is, it must not add length to the frame, otherwise the fiberglass panels won't fit anymore. And having a custom gas tank (smaller, if frame is pushed forwards over there) is not something he can do. Maybe I can give measurements to Boyd I remember they can do custom!

I'll seriously think about it, as I am pretty sure I can save a lot of money to use my Corrado as the engine/ECU/tranny donor (and maybe the seats donor too with its nice Recaros, and why not Momo S/W and shift knob and etc.) and sell the remaining parts over the years.

Will take me months before I get a clear answer, though. Only weeks if I am lucky, but I doubt I will on that one.
    Last edited by Frank818; 10-14-2013 at 05:45 PM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021