Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: VAG VR6 engine + tranny viable?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOLLL That is so... lucky.

DSS is a supplier for FFR! They make all of FFR's shafts. DSS is asking FFR what exactly they are using on the 818 and DSS will check the feasibility to build custom lengths halfshafts that would fit the VW (mine is 02A tranny, I believe after one all the others can be made).

If it's a VW spline it's about 800 if it's a Subaru spline it's about 1000, difference being in the material used, the subaru's splines are smaller than VW so DSS needs to use a stronger material.

Then for other things, the height of the VR engine. Probably 2 to 4in more than the H4. I think it's possible to let the VR oil pan go lower than the bottom of the H4 and worst case increase a little ride height. Worst of all, crossbars frame modifications and my mech is not afraid of that.
    Second thing, engine depth. That may well go further than the firewall, but in my case since I am a short guy, I am sure I can gain 3-4in by installing the fuel tank further forward and pushing forward the firewall. If I can't, I have other ideas and anyway Boyd can do custom tanks if required.

So if DSS can make those shafts, I don't think there would be any show stopper to fit the VR6 AAA with 02A tranny (to be specific). Might cost a lot for those who would choose to buy a VR donor, but those that don't have the choice or already have a donor, it may be worth it.

Quick calculations
    Option 1: 10k for the kit, 0k for the donor, 2k for custom stuff, 1k for cheap labor, 0k for engine modifications, -5k to sell VW parts that's 8k for the kit, not considering all other parts I would buy no matter if I go with H4-6 or VR6.
    Option 2: 7k Subaru donor, 5k in engine modifications, 1k in shipping, 10k for the kit, -15k IF I can sell the VW at that price, that's 8k. So overall money-wise could be about the same for me.

But in option 1 I get an engine I know for the past 20 years, that has 105k km (65k miles) and is well maintained, 6sp with awesome ratios, tuning knowledge is already done, no need to WAIT to sell the VW in order to get money and garage space (nothing I can do until I get that space).

And tnx to theburner9 who kicked me in the behind and made me search for custom axles.
    Last edited by Frank818; 10-20-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I checked with my mech and he said if I can get custom axles then no problem it's a go.

Then I checked again on Mechie's picture in the first page. I was looking for the axles to firewall length and I thought that was from the 818 engine mount bracket to the firewall, but I think I was wrong. If we look on the pictures, the middle of the axles seem to be around 24-25in from the firewall (I don't think they are installed at an angle too much forward). The VR6 needs about 20-21in! That looks promising!

EDIT: Firewall to center of rear hub is 24". Firewall to center of output on transmission is 26" (axles are forward swept slightly). Confirmed by 2 people.

The only possibility is the height, that should be much tighter, but I see no issues working around, just a matter of time.

Now I am waiting on DSS to confirm he can do the axles, based on his conversation (on going) with FFR.

Then I will look with Transport Canada and SAAQ in Quebec to make sure the steps I have to follow and what I need to respect. Fortunately someone on this forum got his Roadster approved and he's willing to help me understand. Short answer is: it's feasible.

So I am starting my project.
    But not my build thread yet, I just want to close out the above 2 steps first.
    Last edited by Frank818; 10-24-2013 at 07:43 AM.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    And tnx to theburner9 who kicked me in the behind and made me search for custom axles.
    I'm in the business of motivating people to do things that I wouldn't want to do myself :P