Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: tko pushing oil

Post Thanks / Like

Question tko pushing oil

I've got a tko with the mid shift pro50 shifter and it is pushing oil out of the top of the shifter like crazy
    not sure why. can anyone help me. No there is not to much oil in the unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Too much fluid? When properly filled fluid shouldn't run out the fill / inspection plug hole. It can even be a bit below.

If you're getting fluid out the shifter it's probably too full. There isn't supposed to be fluid up there. The boot isn't really there to keep fluid in it's to keep junk out.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    in a pro50 shifter unit there is no boot on it . and like I said there is not to much oil in the unit , if I pull the plug the oil
    is a little lower than the hole as to the emount that has been pushed out the top

Post Thanks / Like
    I too had exactly the same problem with my TKO. Fortunately I made the top cover of my trans tunnel removable, so finding the problem was quick and easy. During operation, oil is forced up into the mid shift chamber. I can't remember the type of sealant I used, but it seemed to react with the transmission fluid and liquified, resulting in fluid hosing out of the narrowest part of the housing. With the trans tunnel cover removed I could see exactly how much was coming out and at 60 km per hour it was quite a steady stream. I ended up making a thin gasket and then smeared both sides of the gasket with Permatex black (I think). No more problems after that. So lucky that I made my trans cover removable.

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    nigel, who's midshift kit were you using that you had that problem and it sounds like your problem
    was a leak between two medal pieces that could be sealed. my oil is coming out at the shift lever,
    I guess you would have to look at the picture of this mid-shifter to see what I mean.
    ( www.pro50.com ) it just seems to me that there should not be any oil under this unit to be
    forced up ???????? help

Post Thanks / Like
    My shifter assembly came already fitted to the TKO from Mike Forte, 11years ago. It's a short throw shifter and there wasn't any identifying markings on it. It was fitted with a black rubber boot externally. There was also an inner flexible boot that sat on the underside of the gear selector shaft. It was made of clear material a bit similar to a silicone baby bottle teat. From memory, this boot wasn't a seal, but more of a deflector to prevent oil that is thrown upward from escaping.

Try and see if you can get an exploded parts view diagram from Tremec. Maybe something is missing or installed incorrectly.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers Nige
    Last edited by Nigel Allen; 07-24-2022 at 06:38 AM.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for my misunderstanding.
    I built my mid-shift adapter and seal the adapter plate and then the shift tower with some form of "goo" sealer. Never had a problem. Maybe I would without the sealer.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Talk to Mike Forte he has a baby bottle nipple fix.