Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Just spotted an FFR Roadster on my way home near Asheville, NC

Post Thanks / Like

Just spotted an FFR Roadster on my way home near Asheville, NC

I saw the car headed North on I-26 around exit 18 or so in North Carolina (I was headed South). It was a FFR roadster and looked to have the rollbar/cage in it from the challenge car. It was orange with two black pinstripes. Anybody have a clue on who this might be? I've never even seen one of these in person (I hope to at Rod Run). I plan on building one when I get out of college in the near future and I'd love to see one up close. Truly, I'd like to sit in one to see if I even fit (6'1", mostly leg).

Thanks guys.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

I've owned an FFR roadster (since sold) and I fit ok. I'm 6'1' with a 34" inseam. A lot of it depend what seat you use. If you use one of the "period correct" low-back seats, it cuts down on your legroom. However, if you use a Kirkey vintage seat, you will gain several inches of legroom. I had the "period correct" low back seats and they worked ok, but the legroom was marginal. Also, since these cars are assembled by the owner, you can also do footbox mods to increase the width of the footbox. This helps with side to side clearance and may allow you to stretch out your left leg beside the clutch pedal ... that really helps on a longer drive.

You did not mention your name or where you live ... please do so on your next post. I live in the Atlanta area and we have a pretty large group of builders/owners. We're often up in the mountains of N. Georgia and even get into N. Carolina ... "Tail of the Dragon" comes to mind.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

F5R1004503SP 2004 Challenge Car, 331 Stroker

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***
    Unique 427 Roadster, 482" Aluminum FE by Southern Automotive***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    My name is Erich. I'm currently in Asheville, NC on a co-op at a company up in Burnsville. I'm here until August, then I head back to Knoxville, TN to finish off my last three semesters at UTK (Mechanical Engineering).

Good to know about the whole "sizing" thing. I've seen some footbox mods in a few threads on here (and other sites), but I wasn't sure if it was enough.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erich,

When I did the "Tail of the Dragon" several years ago, one of the cars was an original 289 Cobra, owned by an engineering prof. at UT ... though I think he was aerospace engr. Can't think of his name off the top of my head.

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

Coupe # 031, 422" Windsor stroker by Southern Automotive (Dash autographed by Peter Brock)***SOLD***

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I think about it, I believe I've heard of that as well. Not sure which professor it is. I have a friend who probably would though.

*edit: Could it possibly be Dr. Bond? My friend thinks it may be him
    Last edited by 93twotonegt; 03-18-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Average Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, that would be the one!

Garry
    I sure miss my coupe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Erich, When you get back to Knoxville, give me a shout. There are several cars in the area.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave or one of his kids driving around that area...

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about Dave. No black stripes on Dave's.
    Erich, I'm having a cruise in and cook out April 30th. Come down and join us. I know of at least 5-6 FFR that are suppose to be there. I'm posting the info now. Hope to see you in two weeks.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm south of Asheville, in Mills River Black Widow here!!!
    MKlll FF#5501 427w Roller,TKO 600,Hydroboost Brakes,Heidt's Adjustable PS valve, 4 wheel cobra disc,355 gears, Moser axels,ISIS Intelligent Multiplex System ,heated seats.painted by (NCPAINTER)

Post Thanks / Like
    ^You're not that far from me at all. Been down that way a few times now for the HSCC autocross events. It'd be cool if I could meet up with you and see the car.