Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: who will be the first to try putting the sti 6 speed tran in?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at taller 6-speed gearing for an application with a car that's also lighter and more powerful than a stock STi... I've found a 'high speed' gearset (which I think is from the Forester?). I'm not sure if it's as strong or the difference would be noticeable enough?

http://www.rallispec.com/gea_syn_rstf145.html

1st - 3.636 2nd - 2.375 3rd - 1.761 4th - 1.346 5th - 0.971 6th - 0.756 (2005 STi ratios)
    1st - 3.636 2nd - 2.235 3rd - 1.521 4th - 1.137 5th - 0.891 6th - 0.707 (HighSpeed ratios)
    1st - 0.000 2nd - 0.140 3rd - 0.240 4th - 0.209 5th - 0.080 6th - 0.049 difference
    1st 0.00% 2nd 6.26% 3rd 15.78% 4th 18.18% 5th 8.98% 6th 6.93% percentage

Anyways, it might be something to look at-

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the STi gearing leaves something to be desired. I think Rallispec's "high speed" gearset is based on Legacy parts. You might want to ask them how the strength compares.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Grintch View Post
    Yes, the STi gearing leaves something to be desired. I think Rallispec's "high speed" gearset is based on Legacy parts. You might want to ask them how the strength compares.
    If you read what Rallispec actually says about that gear set you would see that the gears are actually from the JDM forester STI because of strength concerns with the legacy parts.

"Are these gears the same as the USDM Legacy Spec B? The ratios are the same but we actually developed this kit using part numbers from the JDM Forester STI model. We found the Forester gears to be slightly stronger plus we are able to use a 3rd/4th driven gear with an appropriate keyway width (Legacy Spec B and MY07 USDM STI use a narrow keyway design). The 5th/6th gear, however, was updated in the Japanese parts system to a narrow keyway design and we are unable to supply a wide keyway version with the kit. Therefore we supply a custom adapter keyway for the 5th/6th.

How do the gears differ from the MY2007+ STI models? The 2nd through 4th gears are basically the same (except the wide keyway 3rd/4th driven gear as discussed above). But the STI does not have the tall 5th and 6th gear ratios.

Can you supply just the 5th/6th long ratio gears for my 07+ STI? Yes, no problem. Contact us by email for the pricing.

How much does this kit raise the top speed in each gear? The top speed in each gear is raised 6% for 2nd gear, 16% in 3rd gear, 18% in 4th gear, 9% in 5th gear, and 7% in 6th gear. So, for example, in 6th gear if your current top speed is 175mph the new top speed would be 175*1.07 = 187mph.

Why is 2nd and 3rd gear synchros supplied in the kit? These synchros are required for proper fitment due to a change in the number of synchro friction cone tab holes (from 6 to 4)."
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I read that, and it sounds good for the most part...but they are selling it, too. I guess all but 5th and 6th are the same as the 2007+ STis, so those should be solid...I'm just not sure about 5th and 6th. They said they use the stronger Forester gears, but how do those compare to the usual STi gears? Then again, those usually don't need to be the strongest gears, either.

Ideally, I think I'd even like to go taller, but I'm not sure if anybody makes custom gearsets for these...

Post Thanks / Like
    I spoke with Joe at FFR today about my order and he mentioned that they have plans to offer straight-cut gears with taller ratios for the 6MT.

They will also develop something for the STi hubs/spindles. The hardtop, alas, is of course planned but not being developed yet. Heat/Vent will come before the hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatt View Post
    I spoke with Joe at FFR today about my order and he mentioned that they have plans to offer straight-cut gears with taller ratios for the 6MT.
    Interesting...Unfortunately I would have liked helical cut, but I'm guessing they'd be creating these for dragging or maybe even track duty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also spoke with Joe. The 6sp is not going to be ready for another 6-8 months. Trying to work out the shifter, gear ratios and reverse lockout ring. Had to pull the trigger on waiting or building my 5sp. At this current timetable I just had to rebuild the tranny.

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to just go with the 5 speed for now as well. Can we say future upgrades anyone??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatt View Post

They will also develop something for the STi hubs/spindles. The hardtop, alas, is of course planned but not being developed yet. Heat/Vent will come before the hardtop.
    I dont remember saying we are offering straight cut gears for the 6-gear? we are going to tear down our 6-speed and re-gear it for a better track response since we had major turbo lag in 6th. at that time, we will solidify all the 6-gear goodies that will be needed for the 2wd conversion swap. as of now, we are still sticking with the 5-gear as recommended, but will most likely be offering the 6-gear setup in 6-8 months.

Joe @FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scott View Post
    I dont remember saying we are offering straight cut gears for the 6-gear? we are going to tear down our 6-speed and re-gear it for a better track response since we had major turbo lag in 6th. at that time, we will solidify all the 6-gear goodies that will be needed for the 2wd conversion swap. as of now, we are still sticking with the 5-gear as recommended, but will most likely be offering the 6-gear setup in 6-8 months.

Joe @FFR
    Hmm, my mistake, then. Sorry about that. Sometimes all I hear is dogs barking...

Post Thanks / Like
    The 6speed installation posed another issue with installation. See the pics below. Any suggestions on how to go about modifying the frame? I have some ideas but wouldnt mind some input.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I do not believe you have to do any frame mods to put it in, maybe drill two new holes for the rear trans bracket.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission mount bolts fit within their slots. The transmission oil pan bottoms out on the frame with approx 1.25" left to completely seat the transmission mount. The transmission mount bolts go through the slots to just barely be visible on the bottom end, maybe 3/16" from top of plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely suggest calling FFR, since they have a six speed in the R car now, and probably spent a little time on solid works to deal with frame strength issues. That said, just brainstorming as you asked?

It looks like those interfering bars are cantilevers to the rear tail of the frame. Cutting those for clearance look necessary, but rebuilding that strength sounds to me like a good idea. Again, just brainstorming here, cutting the "X" bars just enough to clear that oval area then welding on a steel plate to the bottom of the frame with a hole cut out for the protruding part of the tranny might be a solution. It would tie the pieces back together and share loading with the other frame members to compensate. I'd check torsional rigidity before starting at the tail. That idea might not help in that area, in which case, placing sister bars below the plate would probably stiffen it back up. If you used spacers to nudge the engine and tranny mounts up a little, that could minimize any cutting you have to do as well. Hope that helps at least a little, I'm not an engineer.
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    I would definitely suggest calling FFR, since they have a six speed in the R car now, and probably spent a little time on solid works to deal with frame strength issues. That said, just brainstorming as you asked?

It looks like those interfering bars are cantilevers to the rear tail of the frame. Cutting those for clearance look necessary, but rebuilding that strength sounds to me like a good idea. Again, just brainstorming here, cutting the "X" bars just enough to clear that oval area then welding on a steel plate to the bottom of the frame with a hole cut out for the protruding part of the tranny might be a solution. It would tie the pieces back together and share loading with the other frame members to compensate. I'd check torsional rigidity before starting at the tail. That idea might not help in that area, in which case, placing sister bars below the plate would probably stiffen it back up. If you used spacers to nudge the engine and tranny mounts up a little, that could minimize any cutting you have to do as well. Hope that helps at least a little, I'm not an engineer.
    What you have suggested is exactly what i was thinking. I was looking at connecting the two points of the rear lateral links and also another at the cross point of the bracing. Additionally i would take a 1/8" steel plate with the cut out that matches the pan on the transmission.

I will call FFR and see what they did. Wayne, do you know what FFR did on their 6 speed?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what i ended up doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice weld job! I hope I can be as far along in 2 months

Post Thanks / Like
    Rebuilt the axles today. The axle shaft provided by FFR are too small to suite the STI ends. With adjustable lateral links and the sti shafts only being approx 1/2" longer than the FFR provided ones, i made it work. Waiting on FFR for the shifter linakge for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    No concerns about too much negative rear camber from making room for that extra 1/2"? I guess you can always fab new upper mounts...
    But, wider stance! Then flare the rear flares... oh the slippery slope!

Post Thanks / Like
    Im not concerned at all actually. Im putting 10.5" wide rims with 295's in the back. I will be installing carbon fiber flares regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    No concerns about too much negative rear camber from making room for that extra 1/2"? I guess you can always fab new upper mounts...
    But, wider stance! Then flare the rear flares... oh the slippery slope!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Rebuilt the axles today. The axle shaft provided by FFR are too small to suite the STI ends. With adjustable lateral links and the sti shafts only being approx 1/2" longer than the FFR provided ones, i made it work. Waiting on FFR for the shifter linakge for now.
    I'm also using an STI donor car (06 STI with an EZ30R H6), and I have the adjustable links so I may try to use the STI axel shaft as well. What did you do in the front to attach the knuckle to the provided bracket (which is a bit to narrow)?

Jeff

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It has been determined if you have a newer kit, you can grind the welds on the new bracket, remove the spacers and it will bolt up to the sti knuckle.

the holes may need to be redrilled to get the correct geometry.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    It has been determined if you have a newer kit, you can grind the welds on the new bracket, remove the spacers and it will bolt up to the sti knuckle.
    Excellent!

Post Thanks / Like
    What he said...

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive ordered the 2WD conversion coupler from FRR. Reverse lock out cable has been custom ordered. All that is left is customizing the provided shifter for the reverse lockout and the cable mounts for the transmission. Hopefully will have everything completed in the next couple weeks. Tackling electrical at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurk818 View Post
    Ive ordered the 2WD conversion coupler from FRR.
    On 1-20 Joe Scott said "we will solidify all the 6-gear goodies that will be needed for the 2wd conversion swap. as of now, we are still sticking with the 5-gear as recommended, but will most likely be offering the 6-gear setup in 6-8 months."
    You're saying some conversion parts are already available? I will be talking to Joe on Monday as I am two weeks away from my availability date for my R. I have STi rear suspension components, an OS Giken diff and a six speed for my kit. I'm hoping I can also get some conversion parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scargo, we have the 2wd conversion adapter for the 6-gear, however we do not have any instructions or any other the other parts. if you purchase the adapter, your honestly on your own for now on the install. once we have instructions and all of the parts is when we will start supporting the 6-gear Joe@FFRTECH

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you're well enough to be on the internet.
    RE, adapter plate: I'll take one!
    ****, I'm a tranny expert now. Got it all apart and cleaned. Hope I can get it back together...
    BTW, when I ordered the six-speed seal set for the transaxle, I seemed to get the only one Subaru had it the US!

Post Thanks / Like
    Received the 2WD conversion coupler. Great looking product. Just waiting on the reverse lock out cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Scott View Post
    Scargo, we have the 2wd conversion adapter for the 6-gear, however we do not have any instructions or any other the other parts. if you purchase the adapter, your honestly on your own for now on the install. once we have instructions and all of the parts is when we will start supporting the 6-gear Joe@FFRTECH
    So is the six supported yet

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am interested to know the weight of 6mt once the DCCD and rear section are tossed. Keep us posted Kurk.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest weight loss would be the final output shaft and associated gear at approx 8lbs. The DCCD doesnt loose much weight if any. The 2wd converter actually mounts within the DCCD so what is removed from the center diff gets replaced with the 2wd converter gear. The tail housing is a minimal loss as well.

I am interested to know the weight of 6mt once the DCCD and rear section are tossed. Keep us posted Kurk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Updates?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been working on slimming down my wiring for a couple weeks when i get an opportunity to. The reverse lockout mechanism is complete which finishes off everything on the transmission side. Now all thats left is modifying the supplied shift with the reverse lockout tumbler and getting it bolted in. I hope that comes sooner than later.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm trying to understand the 6 speed conversion so please bear with me...is there an issue with using the 6 speed mated to the FF supplied axles and WRX hubs? Or is it just that folks are trying to do a full STI conversion with the bigger STI hubs?
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    I'm trying to understand the 6 speed conversion so please bear with me...is there an issue with using the 6 speed mated to the FF supplied axles and WRX hubs? Or is it just that folks are trying to do a full STI conversion with the bigger STI hubs?
    It's using the hubs that give an issue, but that is an axle issue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    I ran into this exact problem in the rear of the car. The FFR axles are designed to work with wrx cv joints and consequently the wrx hubs and 5 speed trans. The sti rear axles, hubs, and 6 speed trans use a higher spline count (wrx uses 24 splines and sti uses 27 splines). Check out the axle photos in Sponaugle's thread:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...l=1#post158780

It may be possible to use the sti rear axle in place of the FFR axles (since they look to be the same length) but you'd need to also use the sti hubs and 6 speed trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I came across this article http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/05/...0-lotus-elise/ in the thread EJ20 in a Lotus I was struck by the flat plate on the back of their six-speed transaxle. How'd they do that? It's so much cleaner than the modified snout.
    tranny plate_conversion.jpg

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    When I came across this article http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/05/...0-lotus-elise/ in the thread EJ20 in a Lotus I was struck by the flat plate on the back of their six-speed transaxle. How'd they do that? It's so much cleaner than the modified snout.
    tranny plate_conversion.jpg
    Because that is a 5 speed trans...

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at that crazy shifter linkage! (Now I kinda want my seat in the middle too.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast