Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Don't re-use the in-tank filter, convert to in-line filter instead

Post Thanks / Like

Don't re-use the in-tank filter, convert to in-line filter instead

So on some of the build threads, guys with post '04 donor cars are trying to figure out what to do about the in-tank fuel filter. On WRX's from 02-04 Subaru used an under-hood fuel filter that looks like this.

On the STI and WRX's after 05, they use a 'permanant' in-tank fuel filter. Initially there wasn't even an individual part number for the in-tank filter by itself, subaru said it didn't ever need to be replaced and only was sold with the full in-tank assembly. Now they just try to charge you for the whole housing and canister but you can buy the canister/filter media by itself. http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...sassembly.html

I did the conversion at 90k. When I got the original filter out of my car and cut it open, I found it was made out of basically rolled up cardboard and was filled almost completely with sediment. Like I said though, the STI's and 06-07 wrx's have a nicer filter but the PITA alone to need to pull the pump out of the tank to replace the filter is enough to consider doing the conversion.

It's easy. Just remove the filter from the in-tank assembly and replace the span between the pump and the fuel tank plate nipple with a corresponding length of Fuel-grade 3/8'' line (I think it's 3/8'' at least). Next you just take the old canister type filter and pop it in-line on the top fuel hose going to the engine.

Here's what your in-tank assembly will then look like after removing the in-tank filter:

Here's how you can install the filter keeping that little magnet damper thingy, I removed mine since they don't really do anything. It goes on the top line connecting to the engine.

Doing this will save you a few bucks and make it a lot easier to change your fuel filter more regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brandon, you can't reuse the in tank filter, it only has one end with a hose fitting... as described in a couple of our build threads... I bought the earlier filter at Napa for $20 and mounted it over my fuel tank

fuel filter.JPG

I made a .050 aluminum clamp and attached it with a couple riv-nuts over the fuel level sender
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't just remove the filter. An electric pump needs some sort of pre-filter to keep the big junk out. something with at least a 100 micron rating. Otherwise, small particles that get into the gas tank will destroy the pump.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    the tank has a fine mesh sock prefilter that you can see in his photo above.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    Brandon, you can't reuse the in tank filter, it only has one end with a hose fitting... as described in a couple of our build threads... I bought the earlier filter at Napa for $20 and mounted it over my fuel tank

fuel filter.JPG

I made a .050 aluminum clamp and attached it with a couple riv-nuts over the fuel level sender
    Depending on the year, you're correct that you can't re-use the filter catridge assembly....which was what I was pointing out with this post. In later years and on the STI, the in-tank filter did have a twist off function to allow you to replace the filter media as a cartridge type filter. Regardless, my entire post was about how it's better to do what you're saying...which again is what I also said which was to covert to the in-line filter from the 02-04 wrx...

Here's a thread that I shared above showing how later model years and the STI have a re-usable in-tank filter housing for a cartridge http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...sassembly.html

Here are the pictures from that thread showing the re-usable canister from 06/07 and STI models. The 05 WRX doesn't have this and it's possible some other factory models also have the 'permanant' filter which is made of cardboard and doesn't twist apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post

fuel filter.JPG

Right, it just sounds like FFR didn't specify HOW to get rid of the in-tank filter which I guess can be the point of my post. However I did read somewhere that someone was asking how to replace the in-tank filter. Folks trying to do so should do the conversion as you did. I don't have an 818...yet...so I haven't read the whole assembly manual. Just sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cowan View Post
    I wouldn't just remove the filter. An electric pump needs some sort of pre-filter to keep the big junk out. something with at least a 100 micron rating. Otherwise, small particles that get into the gas tank will destroy the pump.

The OEM in-tank filter is actually post-pump. The mesh 'goldfish net' pre-filter is what's there to protect the pump.