Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Management

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Management

My 818R build is 10 months out. This will be a track only car, I am considering a AEM, Electramotive or Motec engine management system to minimize wiring to only that that is needed to run the engine, fuel pump, a single fan, headlights/Tail lights (Maybe) Brake lights and Aim Dash.
    Anyone have any experience with aftermarket engine management, are or are plan on going this direction and what are the pitfalls to watch out for?
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 10-01-2013 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should talk to Wayne Presley; forum member and vendor.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    You should talk to Wayne Presley; forum member and vendor.
    What he said. I bought the unit with wiring harness from Wayne. It is so much better that stock stuff and easy to install and program. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also look into Element tuning who sell the Hydra EMS.
    Lots of Subaru support and base maps.

I got mine with flex fuel sensor and flat foot shift module. Not sure if they are running that promo any more.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    It is so much better that stock stuff
    Works better, more powerful and more reliable, is that what you mean by "better"?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I've heard some tuners claim the stock ECU provides the best tune. I'm not in a position to know; just repeating what I've heard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I've heard some tuners claim the stock ECU provides the best tune. I'm not in a position to know; just repeating what I've heard.

How could this be possibly true?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Works better, more powerful and more reliable, is that what you mean by "better"?
    The ease of programming the ease of install and approx. 75% less wires.

These are JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my very first post. I have a 818R on order. I work as a professional calibrator for aftermarket turbocharged subaru engines and EMS systems are my specialty.

I run an Autronic Plug and Play in my current car, a 99 RS which has been swapped with full STi running gear. The Autronic is only good for the 02-05 WRX ECU, but supports world market variable valve timing, referred to as AVCS by Subaru. I also own a Plug in AEM which is no longer made, but can be sourced for an 02-05 WRX or a 04-07 DBW STi engine. I also own a Haltech Platinum Pro Plug in which I like since it is also 02-05 WRX compatible world market and can control the variable valve timing from other countries such as Japan. The Haltech is also capable of doing flex fuel with a simple plug in ethanol sensor. I also own a Motec M48 wire in, which I originally planned on using in the 818. I have tuned a number of other plug in computers but the previous ones are my personal favorite.

Other capable but difficult or glitchy solutions I tune from time to time are the AEM ems-4, MegaSquirt, Hydra, Link G4, and 8860 Stinger.

Be sure to stay away from piggyback solutions as they are basically an electronic boxing match between two computers wherein the engine comes out the loser.

BUT!, the best computer for the engines is indeed the stock one. There are two routes to tune the stock subaru computer. One is the Tactrix cable which is a free and handy open source solution. The cable is $200 and the software is free. This route is good and the definitions of ROM files are fairly complete from 02 through 08.

The better route, in my opinion, is through the use of Cobb Tuning's Accessport. All Turbocharged Subaru models through 2013 with the exception of the new DI Forester XT are covered with this one. This handy little unit is a flash device which can be used to tune live as well. The support and thorough decoding of the stock computer is as good or better than any aftermarket computer. AVCS, Fuel, Timing, Boost, Idle, etc are all easily modified and controlled better than in most standalone solutions. I also like that the computer can now be switched from MAF based load calculations to Speed Density MAP based load for very large turbos where the MAF is limited in it's ability to track airflow. The latest unit has 6 gauges that can be watched simultaneously and is very solid. I usually tune a series of maps that can be changed on the fly. I can do low and high boost gasoline, then low, high and honeybadger E85 levels! The ECU is not capable of flex fuel, but fuel can be switched completely at a gas pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any experience with electromotive?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoostCreep View Post
    I usually tune a series of maps that can be changed on the fly. I can do low and high boost gasoline, then low, high and honeybadger E85 levels! The ECU is not capable of flex fuel, but fuel can be switched completely at a gas pump.
    This is basically what I'm planning to do, but with just 2 speed density maps: One for gas, and one for E85. I'll most likely be using the carberry ROM to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good plan. I have heard of the carberry rom but haven't tuned one.

I have tuned the electromotive tec3, Tec4, and they are a solid solution. I don't like the. proprietary ignition system as I feel that coil on plug is vastly superior to waste spark with regard to high boost applications. But I have tuned them and they are a very solid ECU, they even send customers who are lost my way sometimes. The support is excellent as well.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vroom, Vroom x6 that is...

Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos